PDA

View Full Version : Need replacement motor for jointer

Tim Morton
12-27-2004, 9:26 PM
You guys are being so helpful with my jointer project , now I may be in need a of a motor, and I'm looking for advice. Amazon has them from grizzly for $150-$200 depending on HP, and they have Baldor for a little more. This seems reasonable...or should I be looking elsewhere? The stock motor for this 8" powermaticjointer is a 1.5HP Baldor, I was thinking of bumping up to 2HP (tim allen grunting...more power!!!!) I am going to have the old motor looked at wednesday to make sure its doesn't make more sense to repair it, or find out the motor is fine and I may just need a new on/off switch. On the bright side, the cutter head cleaned up nice, and the beds are coming along fine...some minor pitting, but overall Ithink I can bring back the shine if I keep polishing :)

Jerry Clark
12-27-2004, 9:30 PM
You may want to check Harbor Freight-- I think they have cheap motore and may also carry Baldor.

Ted Shrader
12-27-2004, 9:36 PM
Tim -

Hopefully the motor will check out OK. Betting you will only need a new switch/controller.

Ted

Bruce Page
12-28-2004, 12:35 AM
Tim, if you do end up needing a new motor, Baldor is one of the finest names out there.

Michael Perata
12-28-2004, 1:40 AM
Tim

When I was at David Marks shop last summer I looked behind his ancient 16" Jointer and found a 1.25 HP 120V motor.

You only need the power you need. Sharp blades make up for small horsepower motors.

If you decide to swap motors, make sure you get one with the same NEMA frame.

Randy Meijer
12-28-2004, 3:27 AM
In many cases, you can get a motor rebuilt for a lot less than the price of a new one. Probably a lot easier to do in an urban area than someplace out in the country.

Sparky Paessler
12-28-2004, 8:34 AM
Tim
I just installed a Harbor Freight 3hp motor on my old 12" Joiner. It was only $98. They also have 2hp. It seems to work fine time will tell.

Sparky

Tim Morton
12-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys, I found a guy up the road (40 miles up that is)...who is going to take a look at the motor tomorrow and tell me if it's just a bad capacitor, and if not what it is. Lets hope!! :D

Tim Morton
12-29-2004, 5:02 PM
Well, the motor is toast and the shop wants $200 bucks to rebuild it and it will take them 3 weeks to get "aroundtoit:...so it looks like i am motor shopping. He suggested that i shop for a leesom motor as he feels they have the best windings. he didn't have much to say about baldor except that they rewind alot of em. :mad: I have to try and be careful and not spend too much money and make this jointer too expensive. Leeson 110109 runs about &250 shipped and baldor is about $200 and Grizzly has a motor for $149 plus shipping.......I guess its off to research.

Jim Becker
12-29-2004, 7:01 PM
Tim, Northern Tools has quite a few motor choices, including Leeson. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?storeId=6970&N=90

They have a 2hp 56 frame unit for $197

Tim Morton
12-29-2004, 7:26 PM
Tim, Northern Tools has quite a few motor choices, including Leeson. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...oreId=6970&N=90

I JUST had placed an order before seeing your post for a leeson 2HP for $250...and saw your post and scambled to find it...problem weas it was a different speed and backordered for a month...so i will bite the bullet and stay with the one I originally ordered.
http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/woodwork_motors.htm

I ordered number 110402 ...more than I wanted to spend, but I was so bummed at the condition of the jointer I said...well you know what i said :D

Tim Morton
01-03-2005, 5:13 PM
Motor arrived via DHL. but was damaged in shipping. It seems to have taken a pretty good hit in the back and the fan was jammed into the rear cover. i took it off and pounded out the dents and it now spins freely, but it seems as if the shaft may have been bent. It seems to be rubbing and has a slight wobble in it. it might be all in my head, but i have an email into the company ( Electric Motor Warehouse). We'll see what they say. :mad:

PS..Noone was home when DHL delivered it, or i would have refused shipping based on the box being destroyed.

Norman Hitt
01-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Motor arrived via DHL. but was damaged in shipping. It seems to have taken a pretty good hit in the back and the fan was jammed into the rear cover. i took it off and pounded out the dents and it now spins freely, but it seems as if the shaft may have been bent. It seems to be rubbing and has a slight wobble in it. it might be all in my head, but i have an email into the company ( Electric Motor Warehouse). We'll see what they say. :mad:

PS..Noone was home when DHL delivered it, or i would have refused shipping based on the box being destroyed.

Tim, knowing how most motors are boxed, they don't get much protection, but with the fan dented as far as you say, I think that they Dropped the motor (maybe from a forklift or out of the back of a truck) from a fair height at least, and I definitely would try to get a replacement since it has been dropped that hard.

Tim Morton
01-04-2005, 6:18 PM
Got this in my email today:

Tim

I am doing a DHL damage claim, so if you could tape that motor back up and they will be back out to pick that motor up I a few days. I will ship out a new motor to you today, I will try and pack this one up a better this time. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks Again,
Greg Catrell
ElectricMotorwarehouse.

GREAT RESPONSE!!! they will get any future motor business I or my friends may have.