PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee MIL 6955-20 Sliding Miter Saw

Craig Carpenter
11-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Anyone have this saw? I ordered a refurb. I needed a saw that would handle some 8' Crown. So far it seems to be working as expected. I wouldn't mind some input from someone that has the saw though.
http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwaukee-6955-20-12-in-dual-bevel-sliding-compound-miter-saw/miln6955-20,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=milwaukee-miter-saws

keith micinski
11-07-2010, 10:34 AM
I added sandpaper to the back of my fence to help keep the wood from slipping and I like that modification. I also made my own Zero clearance throat insert for the table. I don't use the saw very much but I am reasonably happy with it.

Jonathan Spool
11-08-2010, 8:10 PM
I orderd the refurb as well and am very pleased with it. Especially after I installed the dust collection adaptor. Probably only second to the Kapex in dust collection. The digital miter readout in tenths of a degree is indespensable when used in conjunction with a digital protractor ( take the measurement with the proctor and just dial it in on the saw).

Jeffrey Patrick
11-08-2010, 9:10 PM
I got one of those from the same outfit: CPO. The first one they sent was a dog. Bent arbor, broken dust shroud.... it vibrated way too much. But I called them and they sent a prepaid Fedex mailing label immediately. Packed it back up and sent it. As soon as they got verification it was with Fedex, they shipped another. This one is spot-on. I like the saw a lot. My only regret is now Bosch has their new fancy-ass extending arm jobber. But I'm happy anyway.

Ruhi Arslan
11-08-2010, 11:02 PM
I have one which I bought fro Lowe's and paid less for new. I added the laser which is pretty accurate but it doesn't come on till the blade is spinning. Fence is not as good as it could be but good enough. Like the digital display. Preset angles are easy to engage and accurate. I used it as is from the box but later on decided to the fine tuning. It is easy to adjust but you need to take the dust shroud off for the vertical adjustment. Dust goes all over without the DC which helps somehow. I made an adapter to attach DC to the instead of the bag it comes with. I think it is a solid performer. Not sure if it deserves the price tag though without the built-in laser and better/longer fence.

Callan Campbell
11-09-2010, 9:14 AM
I bought, rather than made, the vacuum adapter for the dust collection port. If I was using a large 'hood' style port with my 4 inch DC, then it wouldn't have mattered. But, I tend to use either my Festool Vacuum or my Ridgid Shop-Vac to attach to the saw. Getting that plastic adapter from Milwaukee is rather cryptic as I and others have found out. They almost have made it classified! But without some vacuum to it, the saw spits out dust pretty fierce like we've all found out.
The one thing I miss between this saw and the small old Ryobi that it replaced is the lack of the slide out support arms at either side of the saw. Makita and others have some, but not the Milwaukee. I knew this going in with the purchase, just didn't think I'd miss them that much.:(
I don't have large built-in set-up for the saw, as it needs to go portable from time to time. I think I'd never want the new Bosch saw since it's weight and size are suppose to be fairly substantial over this Milwaukee.

David Prince
11-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I have this saw and am pleased with its performance. I did upgrade the blade to a Freud LU91R012. Dust collection works pretty good if you have it connected to a DC.

I used a rubber fitting to connect the port and it works just fine. Milwaukee has their own part that I found out after the fact.

Milwaukee part:

http://www.toolking.com/milwaukee-48-03-0200-vacuum-attachment-for-miter-saws-6950-20-and-6955-20

Craig Carpenter
11-11-2010, 8:03 PM
My refurb arrived with one of the blade flanges missing. I called CPO and they said all they could do was to box it up and send it back. I called Millwaukee Customer Service and explained to them what was missing. She wanted to know if it was the inner or outer flange. I didn't have any idea and there was not a part number on the flange that did come with it (I figured they should be the same). I took a guess and said I thought it was the inner flange since the one I had looked like it should be an outer. I sent the Service rep a copy of my Amazon order and Milwaukee shipped me a new inner flange at no charge. The flange arrived and it looks exactly like the one I already had. (I still think it's the same part #, but service rep said they were separate)

The digital readout is very nice to have when doing a miter with a compound, BUT, my digital readout seems to have a bug in it. When the saw is set to zero, throughout the day it will read several different readings, i.e., 31.5 , 22.5, 45, and every now and then, it reads zero. Yesterday I sent a thank you email to the Service Rep that helped me with the and told her of my digital problem and asked her to foward my question (Can I reset it?) to the tech department. She did and I found was sent an adobe file expaining how to reset the digital readout. Early this morning I replied to him explaining that I wasn't sure a reset would help since I was getting erratic readings from the display. I am waiting for an answer.

Besides these two issues, I find this Milwaukee the smoothess cutting saw I've ever had the pleasure of using. Working out the kinks I'm having is expected to a point for buying a refurb, albiet, this is the first time I've ever had any problem with a refurbished product. They're usually repaired by a select team at most manufactuers no matter what the product. I reckon it's the price I should expect to pay for saving so much off the price of a new unitl

My equipment needs to be as mobile as possible since my main business is trimming high end homes that expect quality. This Milwaukee saw will produce the proper cuts I need to help me to feel the sense of pride I strive to achieve for in every job I do.