PDA

View Full Version : tuning up a stanley #40 scrub pics added

Robert Culver
11-07-2010, 8:06 AM
Ok a few months ago I decided to take the dive and try to tune up an old Stanley #40. I went to the bay and picked one up for a small sum of cash. I had wanted a Lie Nielson for a long time but things just kept coming up and driving a stake into my plans. However my desire to get started in the hand tool arena prevailed. When my plane hit the door I quickly opened up the box and there it was an old rusty out of tune plane with a hacked up blade. The first thought that ran through my mind was what have I done I can’t handle this..... But then a bell went of in my head and I took the tool under my wing and said it will be ok. I went to town that day and picked up a piece of granite and a few sleeves of sand paper and headed home to start my mission. I did some research and asked some questions here at the creek. I got allot of support and answers. I dismantled the whole plane and got to work stripping the handles and flatting the sole. During the process of refinishing the handles a few problems happened with them and it started to become frustrating. But I remembered my goal and kept plowing forward. I learned allot about finishing in the process. Then I was set to do the blade it was a mess rusty and the edge had been butchered on a grinder. It no longer had the original radius on it and the bevel was off. I did some more research and with the help of a local company was able to get the bevel and radius right once again. I took the blade home and polished it until it was razor sharp (over kill on a scrub... Maybe) in fact it was so sharp I slipped of my strop and sliced my finger. I took it out to the wood pile and started to clean up a piece of walnut with it and it began to sing. Now I know why people do this I learned more for my time that I had invested in that plane than I had in a few months of messing around with another. I feel as though it is an extension of my arm it talks to me as we work. My desire for that new plane has long been forgotten I couldn’t imagine replacing this one. Is this process for everybody? Perhaps not... But I found I developed quite a relationship with my old rusty plane and wouldn’t trade that for anything.

Mark Dorman
11-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Let's see some pics of your hard work.
I just got a #40 SW yesterday. The guy had it tuned and ready to go.
So I'll put it straight to work. I have gone through the process you mention on other planes and it feels good to take a plane to working conditon and hear it going through the wood. Like my old friend Bill Davidson used to say "It feels good to feel good"

A couple pics of my 40.

Mark

Jim Koepke
11-07-2010, 2:19 PM
Is this process for everybody? Perhaps not... But I found I developed quite a relationship with my old rusty plane and wouldn’t trade that for anything.

There are a lot of my planes that give me those same warm fuzzy feelings every time they are used.

jtk

Robert Culver
11-07-2010, 6:22 PM
So you want to see my sweetheart well here she is.

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac193/culverrp01/scrubplane002.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac193/culverrp01/scrubplane003.jpg

John A. Callaway
11-07-2010, 6:27 PM
she cleaned up nice. Enjoy it .

Andrew Gibson
11-07-2010, 6:50 PM
Did you clean up the knob and tote?
I would emagine you would have had to. I saw a 40 at an auction basically new in box, never used and it's knob and tote were not that clean and nice. The one I saw still had the sticker on the tote.

BTW Looks Great!

Robert Culver
11-07-2010, 6:56 PM
I did clean the knob and tote. I cleaned everything right down to the treads. The bolts are even polished inside the knob and tote.

Mark Dorman
11-07-2010, 7:35 PM
wow that looks great! Nice job and now you know it inside and out.
BTW nice view of the deck.

Robert Culver
11-07-2010, 9:18 PM
ah yes dial up takes forever....

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac193/culverrp01/scrubplane001.jpg

Stu Gillard
11-08-2010, 3:13 AM
I love my 40.
It's the sort of plane that you can get away with not having, but once you've got one, you 'find' ways to use it.
I got mine off a reputable dealer here in Australia, and after I reshaped the camber and honed it, it was put straight to work.
I'm using it at the moment to hog off some rough sawn cedar (white and red) on a tray base that I'm making.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa149/gillardian/IMGP4477.jpg

Robert Culver
11-08-2010, 6:03 AM
nice pic. there always nicer in my oppion with wood shavings around.:)