PDA

View Full Version : Seen this one?

James Taglienti
11-07-2010, 3:24 AM
I got this thing a while back and soon after, this likely scenario popped into my head.

The Date: Some time in 1872

The Place: Likely the local tavern

Cyrus H Hardy: (drunk) "We should make a plane with a sole that is covered with holes."
John Sully: (also drunk) "Agreed."

The birth of the Boston Metallic Plane Company
[2 months later]

John Sully: (sober, examining the fruit of their labors) "This thing is worthless."
Cyrus H. Hardy: (his every dime invested in a dead end) "My wife is going to kill me."

On a side note I wonder if anyone has every been stupid enough to drill a hang hole in this plane? Hey if they bought the thing, methinks they were capable of far more...

Dan Andrews
11-07-2010, 5:45 AM
If corrugated is good, then big holes to reduce friction must be better! If you can't invent something better, then just invent something different. You can see how well the plane is working as you go, no need to lift it up to see at your progress. Air cooled for real fast planing?

Actually, your scenario may be close to the truth.

It is probably worth a gazzillion dollars due to its rarity.

Paul Saffold
11-07-2010, 6:00 AM
Is the sole flat in the critical areas? It shouldn't take as long to flatten it:rolleyes:.
Have you sharpened the blade and tried it?

Andrew Gibson
11-07-2010, 8:01 AM
If I were a collector or didn't have a list as long as by arm of tools I "need" (wished I had during projects) I would want it.

I would love to have a shop that I could have a place to display all the block planes and transitionals and other tools I have somehow aquired but will likely never use.

john brenton
11-07-2010, 8:39 AM
Fuuny narrative. Its a handsome plane and I'm sure its significantly lighter.

george wilson
11-07-2010, 9:30 AM
Lighter,yes. Less friction? An example of exactly backwards thinking. less area=more localized friction.

Probably quite collectible!!

Rob Lee
11-07-2010, 9:53 AM
Gee - you should check out the Holly patent planes....

And yes - they're very collectible....

Brian Kent
11-07-2010, 9:59 AM
Progress happens when people try out a wild idea and see what happens.

Mark Dorman
11-07-2010, 10:02 AM
I've got a book that has a low angle jack by Metallic Plane Co and sold by American Manufacturing Co. Philadelphia after Metallic closed value $550 14" long 1 3/4" cutter. Now suggested by some guy in a book and real world are two differant things. Neat looking plane though. Is that a toothed blade?

Mark

Brian Kent
11-07-2010, 10:09 AM
How well does the plane work?

Andrew Gibson
11-07-2010, 11:18 AM
also, whats up with the iron? It looks like it has some form of toothing going on... or is it just nicked up in a somewhat uniform way?

Don Dorn
11-07-2010, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE=James Taglienti;1552661]I got this thing a while back and soon after, this likely scenario popped into my head.

The Date: Some time in 1872

The Place: Likely the local tavern

Cyrus H Hardy: (drunk) "We should make a plane with a sole that is covered with holes."
John Sully: (also drunk) "Agreed."

The birth of the Boston Metallic Plane Company
[2 months later]

John Sully: (sober, examining the fruit of their labors) "This thing is worthless."
Cyrus H. Hardy: (his every dime invested in a dead end) "My wife is going to kill me."

QUOTE]

You crack me up! - obviously screwed up the quote, sorry.

:D

James Taglienti
11-07-2010, 7:45 PM
never got a chance to try it. I sold it today but judging by the pretty cheesy adjustments, the 3/16" mouth opening, and the tiny frog I don;t think I was missing much.

The cutter was i think a user attempt at a toothed iron

ah well

Derby Matthews
11-08-2010, 9:53 AM
That's two tools of dubious usablility in under month or so James. I'm starting to get worried about the preminence of MY personal collection.:D