PDA

View Full Version : Wet/ Dry abrasive source question

Bill Buchanan IN
11-06-2010, 10:01 PM
If anyone knows, this group of experts does: Am looking for recommendations for source of wet/dry abrasive sheets or shop rolls....other than black silicon carbide on light colored woods . . . especially holly.
Is abranet worth the ultra cost ?

Thanks in advance.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-07-2010, 12:00 PM
I just recently discovered Abranet. I really like it. As far as the cost, I got it during our local W/C tent event, 20% off.... At retail, it is a little steep. The main reason I like it, it has velcro. Use it for power sanding too. Stays cooler due to the mesh when hand sanding.
Search for Rhynowet sandpaper in your area. I use Rhynodry, and really love that. It's also white in color, for your holly. Lasts a really long time. It's also relatively cheap. Company is Indasa.

Bill Buchanan IN
11-10-2010, 9:52 AM
Thanks for the input Kyle. I will be looking further at the Rhynowet and consider the Abranet. Have also heard back from Vinceswoodenwonders about his blueflex discs. I have them and do work but was hoping for something in sheet to shop roll form. This thread saw a lot of hits, but no other recommnedations . I have to assume their are others looking for something that wont impart black specks to otherwise white wood.
Thanks again Kyle.

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2010, 10:07 AM
I use abranet but try to get it while on sale because it is pricey. I like it for hand sanding because it stays cooler.

Scott Hackler
11-10-2010, 10:25 AM
For hand sandig I almost exclusively use standard wet/dry paper from Wal-Mart. It last quiet a while and is relatively inexpensive. Having said that, I should meantion that I do NOT wet sand. I just like the consistancy of that paper and the easy access to buying another 220/320/400 combo pack. Fyi

Frank Van Atta
11-10-2010, 3:26 PM
I've used a lot of abrasives, but invariably come back to RhynoDry.

Ken Barney
11-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Give Industrial Abrasives (http://www.industrialabrasives.com) a try for Rhyno. That's where I get mine.

Great stuff! Lasts much longer that 3X and is less expensive.

- Ken -

David Woodruff
11-13-2010, 8:01 PM
I use micromesh wet for rubing out and leveling the lacquer finish. I only dry sand bare wood with Norton's A-275 available from MSC Ind. Grades up to 1500. It is good stuff, and you get what you pay for.

Bill Buchanan IN
11-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks to all for your recommendations. Will give it all a try which is how we learn what works. I do use and like the micromesh in the very fine to superfine range. Abranet and Rhyno wet/dry are on the shopping list. In the mean time, have an order of Vince's SIA foam and paper backed coming. Thanks again to all.

As info: I do sand dry for twice turned, but enjoy sanding (if that is possible ) on occasion when completing a green project such as a thin NE form for variation. Am too new at this turning vortex thing to get stuck in a rut without variety in the form of experimentation.