PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy drive belts?

Rusty Eads
11-06-2010, 8:40 PM
I am restoring an old Walker Turner cabinet saw and need to replace the triple drive belts. The only ones I can find have the smallest outside measurement of 23" and I need some around the 18" size. Any ideas? I have already tried Mcmaster and Grainger. I think they are the AX type and I do know I need them to be cogged.

As a side note, has anybody ever but link belts on a triple belt pulley? I am thinking that you wouldn't get the diameter of the three belts precisely the same like you can with matched belts but I may be overthinking it.

Carroll Courtney
11-06-2010, 9:12 PM
How about auto supply----Carroll

Mike Ashton
11-06-2010, 9:17 PM
I restored a 40s Unisaw that uses 3 belts, choose was between a matched set or 3 link belts. At work when I service larger air handlers and other belt driven machinery, we get our belts through motor warehouses or Motion Industries. Any time you have a setup requiring more than one belt it's best to order a matched set, which basically means they were all cut from the same rubber stock. This assures even wear as they age. Good year and Gates are 2 brands we have great luck with but browning is pretty common too.

I went with 3 link belts for my restoration and have been happy, vibration is minimal. Any reason you know you need them to be cogged? How big is the motor? Unless it's a really strong motor or the pulleys are tiny and you need the extra flex, I would think you can use standard A belts.

Most HVAC supply stores carry link belts from A to C sizes and can be ordered by the foot.

Logan William
11-06-2010, 9:52 PM
Start with your local autoparts store, they should have something that will work. I've never tried link belts on a 3 belt drive, but have had good results with link belts in general at work on equipment. They are a bit spendy but lots of people swear by them to reduce vibration and noise on a tablesaw.

Dennis Puskar
11-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Try Belts for anything . com

Dave Cav
11-07-2010, 1:33 AM
I have used the green Fenner type link belts on several machines, but never on a multiple belt setup. One thing I have noticed about this type of belt is that they stretch a fair amount as they break in. I have one on a Powermatic 143 bandsaw that gets used nearly continuously several hours a day (school shop). I put a link belt on it a couple of years ago and have had to take two links out of it as it broke in. So, maybe in a three belt setup if one is a little tighter than the others, it would stretch out in short order until all 3 belts are sharing the load. Maybe....

I also seem to recall reading somewhere that the link belts, being "taller" than a regular belt, will hit the underside of the table on a Unisaw, preventing you from raising the blade all the way. I guess someone needs to try it and report back.

Larry Edgerton
11-07-2010, 5:27 AM
Just because a belt is round and has a hole in the middle does not mean it is the right part for your application.

Automotive belts are not good enough. They have a bump in them that translates to a vibration in a saw thet translates to a bad cut. If you dont believe me just go let your car idle and watch the belt closely. You want belts made for a machine, and you want a matched set.

I use Optibelt brand belts whenever I can, and I get them at emotorstore.com. They will be able to help you, their prices are very reasonable, and they will provide you with quality belts meant for the machine.

Peter Quinn
11-07-2010, 7:34 AM
Mc Master Carr has a pretty complete selection. Mastercarr.com

Robert Chapman
11-08-2010, 7:02 AM
Try www.fennerdrives.com (http://www.fennerdrives.com) They carry all kinds of belts.

Salvatore Buscemi
11-08-2010, 8:38 AM
I use the green Horror Freight link belts on the triple groove pulley of my Unisaw with no issues, works great for me.

Sal

Matt Meiser
11-08-2010, 9:10 AM
Napa stores stock or can get belts intended for use on machinery. I've used them on every machine I've restored and have been happy with them.

I once bought a belt for one machine at the local hardware store to so I didn't have to drive 3 miles out of the way to get to Napa. The dust should have been a giveaway, but it had been on the shelf so long that it had a permanent set that caused bad vibration. Luckily being the local hardware store, they happily took it back and apologized for the trouble.