PDA

View Full Version : Now that the contest is over

Ray Bell
11-06-2010, 7:24 PM
I have been itching to ask Alan Trout how he did this. Was this natural voids in the burl that you filled with epoxy? mixed with what? It is very nice however you did it.

Alan Trout
11-06-2010, 8:28 PM
Ray,

The piece was a very knotty, convoluted,twisted, piece of mesquite but solid. This was cast under pressure with polyurethane resin and then turned and hollowed.

I am always hesitant to tell how I cast my pieces not because I do not want anyone to know, but because I tend to use my pressure pot well beyond its rated capacity which can be dangerous/deadly if there was a catastrophic failure. I found that my results are better when I do this.

The other thing is to consider the cost of setting up to do this kind of casting. The pot all set up can run from about $200 to over $800 depending on the brand and quality of the pot. The resin runs about 80 cents and ounce delivered when purchased 2 gallons at a time. I had one piece that I did I used about 90 ounces of resin so it is not always easy on the pocket book.

I started this because I love wood and I love color and had a desire to combine the two. I really like the effect that it produces and have some other Ideas that I am looking forward to trying.

Please if there are any other questions do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

Alan

Roger Chandler
11-06-2010, 8:42 PM
Alan,

All I can say is WOW! Your piece......and the technique you just described! Things I would never have thought of trying........so creative.........by the way, congratulations! :)

Ray Bell
11-06-2010, 9:22 PM
Alan,

Thank you for the reply. I had no idea the process was as complicated as you describe. Anyway it is beautiful, and I cant wait to see your developing ideas.

brian watts
11-06-2010, 10:51 PM
all i can say is wow.. would like to see how you do this for sure..

Todd Bin
11-07-2010, 8:25 AM
I am sorry but I don't know the contest. Could you post a picture of the piece or point me to the post where I could see the pictures of what we are talking about.

Thanks,
Todd

John Keeton
11-07-2010, 8:50 AM
Todd, the congratulatory thread is a "sticky" at the top of the Turner's Forum and has an image. Here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=151716) is a link to it.

David DeCristoforo
11-07-2010, 12:25 PM
However you did it, it's a spectacular piece of work. The hollow forms entered in the contest were all first rate so you had some tough competition. Even so, I think I might have lost faith in the SMC turner's forum had your piece not been selected!