PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Settlement

Marshall Harrison
12-27-2004, 8:45 PM
I received a letter today stating that I am eligible for an Award under the DeVilbiss Air Compressor Settlement. My choices of settlement packages includes:

* Mini rotary air tool + 3/8 inch 25 foor rubber hose + blowgun

* 2 – 3/8 inch 25 foot rubber air hose (50 feet total) + Roll Teflon Tape

* Paint Spray Gun + 8 piece metric/standard deep socket impact set + Roll Teflon Tape

I’m not sure which to take. Does anyone know if the paint gun could be used for spraying finishes? Will a small PC pancake compressor handle the socket set? Does anyone have or know anything about the rotary tool?

Suggestions are welcome.

Terre Hooks
12-27-2004, 9:35 PM
Ahhhh....the tool purchasers(consumers....the people that pay the bills) get $18 worth of gadgets.

How much did the lawyers get?

FWIW, I'd get the sprayer. Most sprayers can handle thinned oil based/solvent based finishes. Certainly it could spray some shellac over BLO.

Greg Scott
12-28-2004, 10:05 AM
Marshall,
I received mine as well but mine included an air rachet + blow gun as a choice didn't yours?
Greg

Steve Clardy
12-28-2004, 10:41 AM
I received two letters. Have two of them compressors. Can't decide on what to take.

Marshall Harrison
12-28-2004, 11:44 AM
Greg - that was a choice for me too but I already have the blowgun. I don't figure I need 50' of air hose as I already have that much.

I think the paint gun would prove the most usefull.

Isn't it fun agonizing over free tools? :)

Robert Mayer
12-28-2004, 4:38 PM
I think the lawsuit was a little dumb, but they were misreppresenting their HP ratings. If the compressor never reaches 3 hp when plugged into a normal socket they shouldnt say thats what it reaches. So ill take my free compressor hose and tool. I just wish they were offering a free brad nailer!

Jeremy Bracey
12-28-2004, 5:28 PM
I recieved a $50 credit to use on anyting on thier site.

Yes, I agree that I hate this type of lawsuit, but I do wish someone would hit sears for all the crap the put in thier tool ratings.

JayStPeter
12-28-2004, 6:13 PM
Well, you'll notice that Sears' new tablesaws now have 1.5 HP motors. For quite a few years they were calling them 3HP motors. Maybe the lawsuit did some good after all (though I still see 110V 6.5HP shop vacs).

It's odd to me that my CH compressor, with a 3HP (17A/220V) motor advertised as 7HP isn't included in the suit. Maybe they figure that if you're buying a 60 gal compressor you should know better (which I do after all).

Jay

Jeremy Bracey
12-28-2004, 9:05 PM
Mine was a 60 gallon 220v compressor and I recieved the settlement. Did you check your model number against the ones covered? The basis of the suit was the 110v compressors, but the settlement covered more.