PDA

View Full Version : Value of Dewalt MBC 27

jim rodda
11-06-2010, 4:45 PM
This saw was in my house when I bought it and I know it was bought new by the people I bought the house from. It is in great shape and has the original books and th edrum sander attachement. The only thing I did with it was have the power cord replaced as the original one cracked. I am not a wood worker, but i do like old stuff so I am not sure if I am going to sell it, but what do these go for?

http://jrodda.smugmug.com/Animals/Betty/12412161_XdCzd#1080026615_BrcfB

http://jrodda.smugmug.com/Animals/Betty/12412161_XdCzd#1080026615_BrcfB

Gary Hodgin
11-06-2010, 4:55 PM
Not sure what it's worth but it looks to be in great shape. I'm sure some others can tell you more about its value. Congratulations on a nice house warming gift. Wish I'd found something like that in mine.

Bruce Volden
11-06-2010, 5:00 PM
Jim, it's worth nothing. Sorry. Where do you live, I will gladly haul it away for you....:D

Bruce

Gary Hodgin
11-06-2010, 5:03 PM
Jim,
See if you can find it here.
http://www.owwm.com/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=252&tab=4
Gary

Myk Rian
11-06-2010, 5:19 PM
Maybe $100. I bought my MBF for that, and restored it.
An MBC is the lowest hp of the DeWalt RASs.
http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/images/10505-E.jpg

Phil Thien
11-06-2010, 5:52 PM
It won't fetch a ton. $100 to $200, I'm guessing.

You don't have to be a woodworker to appreciate that saw in that condition. I'd build a stand and table for it, and hang onto it.

Will Overton
11-06-2010, 5:56 PM
Don't sell it, become a woodworker instead. It's lots of fun, and you already found a nice place to hang out with other woodworkers. It's crowded, but we can make room for one more. :)

Shove over everybody.

jim rodda
11-06-2010, 8:07 PM
I am in DC. When I moved in it was mounted in a workbench. It was a duplicate of the suggested bench that is in the paperwork. Unfotunately I needed the room and dismantled the work bench. If I get a scan the paperwork and post it. There are 4 manuals with it.

Bob Aquino
11-06-2010, 8:33 PM
Jim
Its a very nice little saw in beautiful condition. What it's worth depends on who wants it. A saw like that would need very little in the way of reworking, probably new bearings and a new table. It even has the original key in the switch. I suggest getting an account over on owwm.org and listing it over there. People on that board will appreciate it for what it is and you should be able to get somewhere in the neck of about 100-150 for it in its present shape. You could list the manuals separately as well, you may get 10 each of those depending on condition. The original round arm dewalts are about the best of the breed and are sought after.

Ken Whitney
11-06-2010, 8:45 PM
It looks like it might have the original 1" maple top.

Very nice.

Ken

Ed Labadie
11-07-2010, 12:03 AM
IMO, keep it.
You might not be a woodworker (yet), but you will not be able to buy an equal or better saw for what it will sell for.
In the long run, you will be glad you kept it.

Ed

Dave Cav
11-07-2010, 1:47 AM
Jim,

You have received some very good advice from the folks on the forum. The MB series of DeWalt radial arm saws were the smallest saws they made, back in the 40s and 50s. Yours is one of the nicest unrestored examples I have seen. I have had three of these, four if you count the very close relative, the 925. I have a restored example in my shop I use frequently, and another one out back awaiting restoration. These saws are MUCH better than anything made in the last 20 or 30 years, and for hobby and light commercial work they are great. Unfortunately the market is glutted with used junk Sears and other radial arm saws, and the most you can reasonably expect to get for it is in the range of $100 or so. The three saws I have actually had to pay for all went for $25 to $35. The MB saws are fairly common, and seem to show up on CL with great regularity.

Also, while the folks over at the Old Woodworking Machines (owwm.org) will be glad to discuss the saw with you and offer advice on what to do with it, they (we) will not place an estimated value on it.

jim rodda
11-07-2010, 10:54 AM
I will think about keeping it. I have owned it for 13 years now and only use it once a year though. Is there any value in making copies of the paperwork? One of the neat things in it is the pattern to make a bench for the saw.

david brum
11-07-2010, 11:27 AM
There is a Delphi forum specifically devoted to using and restoring vintage Dewalt radial saws. The guys there live and breathe these saws and can answer most any imaginable question.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/woodbutcher/start?lgnJR=1

Craig Carpenter
11-08-2010, 7:44 PM
I had one given to me last month. Works like a champ!

Myk Rian
11-08-2010, 9:12 PM
Is there any value in making copies of the paperwork? One of the neat things in it is the pattern to make a bench for the saw.
No real value in copying them. Maybe if you want to sell those dirty papers.
Copies of them are on OWWM.com