PDA

View Full Version : Which 140 Skew Block Plane?

Tony Shea
11-06-2010, 1:48 PM
I have decided that it is time that I pick up one of the Newer offerings of the original Stanley 140 Skew Rabbet plane. For a while I was eyeballing the LN version in bronze but just never did anything more than drool. Well recently I have been running into situations where this tool would be extremely helpful and feel at a loss in not having one. But recently LV has come out with their version on the same tool.

Was wondering how many people have had the opportunity to handle either plane and hopefully even both of them? I'd be interested in your opinions of which version most would prefer around here. This is just to get a good idea of the pros and cons of each tool. And if I go with the Lie Nielsen version is the extra $ for the bronze really worth it? I have the iron block plane and really enjoy the feel and looks, whats the advantage of an all bronze?

jeff phillips
11-06-2010, 3:28 PM
I bought the LN 140 about a year ago, and found it incredibly useful for trimming tennon cheeks, as well as a bunch of other tasks that required cross grain planing. I liked it so much in ffact, i recently purchased the 140L.

If you do get one, think about how exactly you think you will be using it, to ensure you make the correct choice. In getting either the right or left handed version. I am right handed, and i find myself reaching for the left hand 140 most often.

The only big drawback to the 140 is that the exposed outside tip of the blade tends to want to shift out if i dont watch it, leading to a deep cut on one side, and shallow on the other.

Andrew Gibson
11-06-2010, 5:43 PM
I handled a 140 earlier this year at a tool auction and really wanted one (the guy had a dozen or so ranging in price from $95-$200+)
If I were looking into a new one I would go for the LV. No removeable side plate... maybe making the casting a bit sturdier, and an adjustable mouth.

If someone gave me the LN I would not complane :)

John Coloccia
11-06-2010, 6:06 PM
The Schwarz likes the Veritas

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/cSchwarz/z_art/vSkewRabbet/vSkewRabbet-1.asp

I haven't seen the Veritas but I have seen the LN. It's a nice tool but I just didn't really care for the feel of it. It's beautifully made, though, as you might imagine.

Jonathan McCullough
11-06-2010, 6:25 PM
I have and can recommend the Veritas rabbet planes. As I've mentioned before, they're marvels of machining; really accurate, well-conceived, well executed. I use them with the fence to make a small rabbet for dovetails and all sorts of little conundrums (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=150441) where nothing else will do. Although I haven't handled the Lie Nielsen 140 types, and they are different in some ways, I don't think you could go wrong with either. They're very useful, handy planes.

Tri Hoang
11-06-2010, 6:56 PM
I had old Stanley and LN bronze skews but traded them for a pair of Veritas L/R skews and never regret it. I love the adjustable mouth on the Veritas as well its adjustment mechanisms. I think the one piece design on the new Veritas skews is pretty stout unlike the older Stanley design.

Derek Cohen
11-06-2010, 10:55 PM
I own the LN and the LV, both of which I have an emotional attachement, for different reasons. I have owned - and sold - the Stanley #140.

My LN is the first generation of this plane (dates back to 1985), which I restored with the assistance of Thomas LN. I would never part with it for this reason. And in any event it works extremely well.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRestorations/LNSkewRabbetBlockPlaneRestoration.html

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRestorations/LNSkewRabbetBlockPlaneRestoration_html_m299a290a.j pg

Keep in mind that the LN is a recreation - albeit a vastly superior one - of the original Stanley #140. Where it differs is in the materials and the bed angle (Stanley is 20 degrees and the LN is 12 degrees). The LN has the charm - and the foibles - of the Stanley. The weakness of the design is in the difficult adjustments, that is, getting the blade into an ideal position, and then keeping it there. There is also a removable side, which can get lost (the Stanley was notorious for this).

Understandably I have a bias for the Veritas skews, partly because I was part of the team that tested the pre-production versions (and added a little to the final design).

The Veritas is a more evolved design than the LN. The set screws really come into their own on this plane. Adjustments are precise and repeatable. And then there is an integrated/non-removable side. Not least of all, the adjustment wheel on the Veritas block planes (all of them) is set further back than the adjustment wheel on the LN block planes, and if you get a chance to try them side-by-side you will find the LN cramped and the Veritas much easier to adjust.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/LV%20planes/Skew%20Block/IMG_5659.jpg

So which would I buy? Easy - the Veritas. Both planes work well, but it is the adjustments on the Veritas that will tip the balance. I still think that the LN is prettier ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

James Taglienti
11-07-2010, 3:04 AM
The Veritas looks nice, and I appreciate the fact that they actually design tools from the ground up...

The Stanley and Miller's Falls skew block planes are nice but it's a dice roll as to whether or not you're going to get a good one. I've had one that was dead flat with a factory mouth smaller than 1/16 (I wish I didnt sell it) and also one that was crooked with a mouth around 1/8.

Tony Shea
11-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I had the answer before I posted the thread but the replies I recieved pretty much hit it home. The Veritas version just seems like too nice of a tool to pass up. My birthday was yesterday and I have recieved $150 in gift cert's. for Lie Nielsen. But I suppose there are many other items from them I want/need and will save my Skew block plane for the Veritas style.

Rick Lapp
11-07-2010, 11:52 PM
I too have one of each and believe that the LV is superior is all aspects except looks. As Derek said, it's more highly evolved. Interestingly, LN just released a video of Deneb using and adjusting their version. Rick

Tony Shea
11-08-2010, 5:09 PM
Rick, I just watched that video of Deneb using and setting up their 140. Strange that they are just coming out with that video considering this is one of their oldest plane offerings. Would guess that this is due to LV's new popular version which seems as though most prefer over LN's. But that Bronze LN 140 sure is a nice looking plane, too bad its' looks doesn't transfer over to its' function. Although I bet it functions fine, just seems like the LV version has some better features.