PDA

View Full Version : OT multi-vitamins

Chuck Wintle
11-06-2010, 8:36 AM
Was looking at some Centrum vitamins to take. does anyone know which brand or type work well. Not sure what to buy and what is just hype.

Bryan Morgan
11-06-2010, 9:49 PM
My friend works at GNC and says most of the multi vitamins are a waste of time as your body doesn't even really digest them. I don't know if I believe that as I used to take Centrum and it has way too much iodine in it and gave me problems with some glands or something in my neck.

Greg Peterson
11-06-2010, 11:26 PM
I subscribe the notion that if you eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly, your body will use the vitamins and minerals it requires.

Eats lots of green veggies, whole grains, nuts, dairy and some meat and your body will be very happy.

Pat Germain
11-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Expensive vitamins mostly create expensive urine.

As I recall, Consumer Reports has suggested taking a multivitamin can be beneficial, but the low cost varieties at WalMart and Costco are just fine.

Dan Friedrichs
11-07-2010, 9:34 AM
As I recall, Consumer Reports has suggested taking a multivitamin can be beneficial, but the low cost varieties at WalMart and Costco are just fine.

Yep - I can't find the article, but they did a chemical analysis and found that the generic brands contained what the label said they did significantly more often than the name brand ones did.

Chuck Wintle
11-07-2010, 9:43 AM
Yep - I can't find the article, but they did a chemical analysis and found that the generic brands contained what the label said they did significantly more often than the name brand ones did.

I was going to buy Centrum vitamins until I spoke to the pharmacist who assured me the generic house brand are exactly the same as name brand vitamins. A container of 300 was $15 and the centrum were $10ish for 100 pills. The worst part with centrum was the bewildering choice available. At least 7-8 centrum variations are available at varying prices. Chalk one up for marketeers who do an excellent job of creating the difference in consumers minds. Lucky for me a pharmacist provided some lucid advice that was money saving.

Stephen Tashiro
11-07-2010, 12:47 PM
You can get an objective picture of your need from vitamins from blood tests. However, most insurance won't pay for the test unless your doctor can diagnose a problem that indicates that vitamins might be the cause. For example, suprisingly in sunny NM, a low of level of vitamin D is a common problem. If this statistic is the only basis for testing your vitamin D level, you must pay the additional fee on the blood test for this work. If your vitamin D level is discovered to be low then insurance does pay for subsequent tests.

As to multi-vitamins, I like Flintstones or Bugs Bunny.

Ted Jay
11-07-2010, 1:17 PM
We've been using the Puritan's Pride brand of multi vitamins for the last year. Before that we were using GNC, the Puritan's Pride prices are much better and a better value IMO.

Ted

Bryan Morgan
11-07-2010, 9:05 PM
At least 7-8 centrum variations are available at varying prices.

Its not just vitamins! Its everything! I used to think choice was a good thing but I went to get a can of refried beans at the grocery store and there were 10 or 15 types! It took me a few minutes to find the plain old "normal" refried beans... ugh :)