PDA

View Full Version : Name of these supports?

Brian Penning
11-06-2010, 7:10 AM
Can't post a photo because I don't know what you call them but they're something similar to below except thinner and without the flat sections on the right angled legs.
Kind of intricate cutouts and shape that's attached to a table apron bottom and an adjacent leg on old style furniture.
Looking for a supplier that would have ready made ones.
TIA for any and all replies

http://www.closet-shelf.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Wood-Shelf-Brackets.jpg

Rusty Eads
11-06-2010, 8:04 AM
I may be wrong but I think what you are thinking of are corbels.

Peter Quinn
11-06-2010, 8:50 AM
Can't post a photo because I don't know what you call them but they're something similar to below except thinner and without the flat sections on the right angled legs.
Kind of intricate cutouts and shape that's attached to a table apron bottom and an adjacent leg on old style furniture.
Looking for a supplier that would have ready made ones.
TIA for any and all replies

http://www.closet-shelf.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Wood-Shelf-Brackets.jpg

I know them as brackets, not corbels. Corbels are generally more stout and give the appearance or function of holding up a shelf. Brackets function, or appear to function as holding two pieces of wood at right angles securely. You might see very fine brackets on a Chippendale table at the apron to leg intersection, and clearly they add no strength, but they serve that role visually.

Very fine brackets with lots of details might also fall under the category of scroll work, so try searching wooden brackets scrollwork.

Here is a link. Http://www.vintagewoodworks.com/fb13.html

Shawn Pixley
11-06-2010, 9:28 AM
They would typically be called brackets. Corbels were originally cantilevered stone works that were the first arch form. They evolved to become projecting stone work that supported ledges and corbel tables. When architecturally significant wood structures became more common, the forms were translated to these wood structures. This was in large part due to the industrial revolution. In the Victorian and Edwardian architectural styles, these evolved to lighter, more ornamental forms called brackets. Brackets and spindle work are commonly referred to as tracery in Queen Anne, Eastlake, and Edwardian styles of architecture. There are of course significant stylistic differences between bracket forms in these styles. As styles and tastes changed over time and the ravages of weather took their toll, much of the brackets and tracery was taken down to "modernize" the house. I spent a significant part of my early career, researching and restoring Victorian structures.

glenn bradley
11-06-2010, 11:03 AM
+1 on calling them brackets. Van Dykes Restorers has quite a selection as well.

Brian Penning
11-06-2010, 4:04 PM
Thanks so much guys. Found what I was looking for.
VanDykes calls them Fretwork Corner brackets.