PDA

View Full Version : Sumac Haul

Kathy Marshall
11-06-2010, 2:28 AM
Got a call from the tree trimmers http://www.woodturnersresource.com/yabb2files/Templates/Forum/woody/cheesy.gif did I want some african sumac? Heck Yeah! Picked up the first load yesterday and the rest of it today. Poor truck was dragging bumper. These pieces are much bigger than the last ones I got from them. I look forward to some nice big bowls and plates, some hollow forms and whatever else pops up!
When I picked up the load today, they also had a BIG load of eucalyptus. Since the truck was already overloaded, I just took 1 piece to try and see how it was (so many eucalyptus varieties, never know what you'll get). Turned a bowl tonight and all I can say is WOW! This stuff is gorgeous! Hoping to pick up some more tomorrow if no one else gets it before I get there.
You can see the euc in the 1st pick, its the piece in the upper left (drivers side). The stuff on the ground is yesterdays load plus some big ash pieces I got last week and other misc pieces.
The bowl still needs a finish and the pics just don't do the color/grain justice. I'll get better pics after the finish is on.

Steve Vaughan
11-06-2010, 6:35 AM
What great haul! And, I love that bowl, the grain and color are just awesome! Beautiful stuff!

John Keeton
11-06-2010, 7:03 AM
WOW!! What a haul! That will keep you busy for awhile.

The bowl still needs a finish...That bowl sure has a nice "finish" without having a finish!?!?! Never turned any, but it must buff out like cocobolo and some of the other exotics I see posted. Beautiful piece, Kathy.

Fred Perreault
11-06-2010, 7:10 AM
What a lucky guy. Wood is where you find it, and if you don't go nosing around, you might miss it. Better yet, get on somebodies' speed dial. Love the euc.

Dennis Ford
11-06-2010, 7:29 AM
Thats a great gloat. You are really into the vortex!
Good job on the eucalyptus too.

Greg Just
11-06-2010, 7:57 AM
Kathy that is a beautiful bowl. Never thought eucalyptus could look that good. I got some years ago for firewood and it was a pain to split.

Do you sign your bowls with a wood burner? How about the burned in circle on the bottom?

Very nice - thanks for sharing and can't wait to see what you do with the rest of that haul!

Norm Zax
11-06-2010, 9:32 AM
Great haul and bowl Kathy! BTW, how do you sign your work?

Cathy Schaewe
11-06-2010, 9:52 AM
Wow, great looking stuff! Way to go!

charlie knighton
11-06-2010, 10:06 AM
great haul, very nice piece

Bernie Weishapl
11-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Congrats on a nice haul and the bowl looks great.

David E Keller
11-06-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm disappointed that no one has mentioned it already, but YOU SUCK!:D

Seriously nice looking wood, and that bowl is beautiful. That's a really nice haul.

Kathy Marshall
11-06-2010, 3:40 PM
Thanks everyone!
Guess I've just gotten lucky. The tree trimmers have just started giving the wood away a couple months ago (saves them the cost of hauling it to the dump) and I always make sure to be very considerate with them and I've left a few "gifts" with them. It pays off as I'm one of the 1st they call when they get anything special and I usually spread the wealth with some of the local turners and others. Give what you get and you'll get what you give.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-06-2010, 4:10 PM
So Cool!!! Congrats on a great haul. Please forgive me but I keep having these visions of you going crazy on the gloat with chain saw in hand...Wild!:D

Kathy Marshall
11-06-2010, 8:13 PM
WOW!! What a haul! That will keep you busy for awhile.
That bowl sure has a nice "finish" without having a finish!?!?! Never turned any, but it must buff out like cocobolo and some of the other exotics I see posted. Beautiful piece, Kathy.

It does sand up nicely. I sanded to 800 (my usual) and then I used my micromesh on it just to see how well it would buff up although it looked pretty darned good at 800.

I am finding that this wood likes to move :eek:. According to the tree trimmers, the tree had been dead a couple of years, the sapwood was pretty well dry, but the heartwood still had some moisture. The bowl isn't showing any signs of cracking but it looks like it may end up a bit on the eliptical side lol. Oh well, maybe it will add some character.

Kathy Marshall
11-06-2010, 8:14 PM
Great haul and bowl Kathy! BTW, how do you sign your work?

The bowl is signed with an artist archival pen (available at craft stores), hope to get a burner eventually but this will do for now.

Kathy Marshall
11-06-2010, 8:17 PM
So Cool!!! Congrats on a great haul. Please forgive me but I keep having these visions of you going crazy on the gloat with chain saw in hand...Wild!:D

LOL, well the chainsaw has been getting a workout lately, but I don't know that I've been going crazy.....yet :eek:

Steve Mawson
11-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Really nice bowl. Get all you can.