PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Start

Jim Fitz-Gerald
11-05-2010, 10:23 PM
New shop is a 30x40x12 with a 16x40 lean-to. Combination wood-metal-auto repair: man cave. Will finish the inside with 2x6 walls, not sure of spray foam or fiber insulation for the walls. Concerned on how to replace metal with the foam in there after the fact. Here a few images over three days this week before the rain hit Thursday, then VA red clay mud.

Thanks for the advice, this has been a great experience.

Jim

Jim Fitz-Gerald
11-05-2010, 10:31 PM
I was only able to spend a couple of hours on it today. Still trying to decide whether to close in the ends of the lean-to at the end (triangle wedge, not sure what to call it), I will lose 30" or so of height, but it looks cleaner I guess. Still will retain about 10' of height. I could just wrap the 2x12 with metal that is exposed on the end and leave it, any thoughts?

Jim

Don Bullock
11-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Congratulations Jim!!!

New shop is a 30x40x12 with a 16x40 lean-to. Combination wood-metal-auto repair: man cave.

That sounds Great. I have a fairly new 24'x40' shop/garage so I know you're going to like the space. Having it deep enough to get a vehicle in and work around it on all four sides is very handy. My space houses one vehicle and the rest is a wood shop, but since we haven't found a place for everything after we moved in last year I'm still working around some boxes we're storing out there. It looks lie you won't have that problem so you'll have a lot more work space. Your lean-to looks like it will be super for storage, especially lumber. Enjoy and keep us posted on your progress.

Ted Calver
11-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Looks great Jim. You have enough swale on the up hill side to keep you dry?

Jim Fitz-Gerald
11-05-2010, 10:45 PM
I think the swale is ok, it survived the summer, about 2' high. I have drains on either side and I will be about another 18" above grade when all is done. On the swale side I have about 10-15' to the shop and will likely put a full french drain in before all is said and done. I have a 64' long, 2' diameter pipe in front of the shop to take the heavy loads. Likely will have to cover the lean-to trusses with plywood to slow down the boring beast I read so much about unless someone has a better idea.

Jim

Jim Fitz-Gerald
11-05-2010, 10:46 PM
I will keep you all posted, as I have several decisions to make in the near future, floor, insulation, heating, will need some balanced advice.

Jim

Congratulations Jim!!!

That sounds Great. I have a fairly new 24'x40' shop/garage so I know you're going to like the space. Having it deep enough to get a vehicle in and work around it on all four sides is very handy. My space houses one vehicle and the rest is a wood shop, but since we haven't found a place for everything after we moved in last year I'm still working around some boxes we're storing out there. It looks lie you won't have that problem so you'll have a lot more work space. Your lean-to looks like it will be super for storage, especially lumber. Enjoy and keep us posted on your progress.

Jim Fitz-Gerald
11-06-2010, 7:47 PM
Looks great Jim. You have enough swale on the up hill side to keep you dry?

Another question that I need to address immediately - Is there any reason to put gable end vents when I already have a ridge vent and vented eves? For some reason I was set on the ridge vent but now I am not sure why, maybe it was for looks, right now I am inclined to forgo it. I am thinking a 40' ridge vent along with the eve vent should be ok. I am closing the walls in on Monday, so I need to decide.
Thanks,
Jim

Jaromir Svoboda
11-06-2010, 8:24 PM
Soffit vents should be just fine.
Looking good.

Jim Fitz-Gerald
11-06-2010, 8:44 PM
Soffit vents should be just fine.
Looking good.

Thanks Jaromir,
Not sure why I was thinking gable vents. I can spend that time and effort elsewhere, like closing in the 40' side of the lean-to.

Jim

Jim O'Dell
11-06-2010, 9:52 PM
Definitely soffit vents with the ridge vent. You want the convection to go from low to high to help keep the attic area cooler in the summer and to push any moisture out.
Sounds like a great size...more than double my shop. And a 30% more height!! Jim.

Joe Shinall
11-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Lookin great Jim. Wish I had the space for a shop that big. Can't wait to see more pictures of the progress.

Luther Oswalt
11-07-2010, 8:13 AM
Jim,
Are you going to reduce the ground’s slope in the "lean to" area and make it easier to store and stack items there. I have an outside covered area on my shop which has a concrete floor and it is accessible on three sides and easy to place things on the level (1/8" in 10' slope, I think that is the slope we used) floor. I was going to build a pole barn until I ran into the CountyCodes, Home Owner’s Association, and the Hurricane Codes .... I ended up with 6" Steel studs etc.!
That’s going to be a nice shop!
Leo

David Helm
11-07-2010, 3:25 PM
Another question that I need to address immediately - Is there any reason to put gable end vents when I already have a ridge vent and vented eves? For some reason I was set on the ridge vent but now I am not sure why, maybe it was for looks, right now I am inclined to forgo it. I am thinking a 40' ridge vent along with the eve vent should be ok. I am closing the walls in on Monday, so I need to decide.
Thanks,
Jim

Latest info on gable end vents with soffit and ridge vents is that they decrease the amount of ventilation. Air taking the path of least resistance, comes in the gable and out the ridge. Leave the gable vents off so the air comes in the soffits and out the ridge.

Ted Calver
11-07-2010, 4:23 PM
Are there soffits? I don't see any overhang. Maybe in the shed area? How do you plan to insulate...flat ceiling with bats on top or in between roof joists with tunnel from soffit? to ridge vent?

Jim Fitz-Gerald
11-07-2010, 7:59 PM
Are there soffits? I don't see any overhang. Maybe in the shed area? How do you plan to insulate...flat ceiling with bats on top or in between roof joists with tunnel from soffit? to ridge vent?

Hi Ted,

They are hard to see, have a look at the last image posted, you can just see the 1’ soffit on the left side, I tried to section this out in the attached image. They are now on the lean to as well, obviously doing nothing except for looks unless I close it in. In terms of insulation, from this site I have gleaned the following:
1) 1) Bats on the walls (6”) and ceiling (ceiling will be liner metal panels)
2) 2) Bats on the walls, blown in the attic, cellulose or glass (18”)
3) 3) Spray foam walls (closed cell), blown in the attic
4) 4) Spray foam walls and roof
Walls will be sheathed with plywood (1/2" thick or more). I am thinking between between bats/foam in the walls and blown in the attic right now. I will have to weight the costs and get quotes. I will post more images tomorrow, we should have it all closed in.
Thanks,
Jim

Jim Fitz-Gerald
11-07-2010, 8:10 PM
Definitely soffit vents with the ridge vent. You want the convection to go from low to high to help keep the attic area cooler in the summer and to push any moisture out.
Sounds like a great size...more than double my shop. And a 30% more height!! Jim.
Lookin great Jim. Wish I had the space for a shop that big. Can't wait to see more pictures of the progress.

Jim, Joe,

Thanks, The size and height is based on alot of the comments here and 10 yrs of thinking. I know I will soon realize I needed a 80x60, but hey, that is what I will tell others. And by then I will be abyserated....
Jim

Jim Fitz-Gerald
11-08-2010, 8:01 PM
We will be finishing the outside tomorrow. Here are some images from today.

Regards,
Jim

Ted Calver
11-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Jim,
WOW!! That sure is a sweet looking set up. Have you thought about windows or skylights? I guess you just cut them in when you decide on your shop layout. It's going great...giving me a bad case of shop envy :)

Jim Fitz-Gerald
11-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Jim,
WOW!! That sure is a sweet looking set up. Have you thought about windows or skylights? I guess you just cut them in when you decide on your shop layout. It's going great...giving me a bad case of shop envy :)

I was going to put windows in at the start and then after reading some posts I decided to see how things landed before settling. I am glad I did because I adjusted the attitude of the bldg at the last minute and this changed light from the west-southwest dramatically. The back-corner of the shop will get the windows now, up high. Since I have decided to close in the length of the lean-to, some of my previous thought have vanished. I have been waiting a long time to do this. Concrete will be on my mind next, to radiant or not is the question. In the immediate future I need some 50 ton of stone:D!

Regards,
Jim

Jim Fitz-Gerald
11-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Jim,

BTW Ted,

The folks here lare the reason I finally pulled the trigger! Addictive.

Jim

Roger Bullock
11-09-2010, 8:27 AM
Congrats on your new shop, look'in good. I couldn't tell the rafter spacing from your pictures but if close enough you might consider placing 4 x 8 sheeting in the attic down the center for additional storage before you close off the gable ends. I opted for a shingled roof on my shop (cuts down on moisture from condensation plus wife wanted it to match the house) so I put my rafters on 24 inch centers. prior to closing in the gables, I ran 4 x 8 sheeting down the length of the shop and added a set of pull down stairs. This allows a lot of extra storage for those items that needed a place to stay out of the way. Oh BTW I was just viewing a post in this section on wiring, my comment was it is better to over engineer your wiring now than regret it later.