PDA

View Full Version : Small piano rebuild and display case

Ed Morgano
11-05-2010, 9:38 PM
High School Physics Project

I built this piano as my senior physics project in the 1958-1959 school year. It has kicked around several attics in a cardboard box for the past 50 years. Now that I’m retired and had the time, I decided to try to get all of the pieces back together as best I could. The amazing thing to me is that at age 16/17 I was able to build this in my dad’s basement with the tools he had which consisted of a tablesaw. He also had a couple of coping saws, sand paper, a few hand planes etc. What he didn’t have was a wood lathe, RAS, jointer, table router, thickness planner, CNC router, drum sander, band saw or drill press.
All of the joints on the piano were made with League Pages Hide glue and through the years of storage the piano deteriorated. When I finally got to it, several pieces were missing. I’ve tried to restore it to a certain level. The entire piano action was missing. All I had left were 3 black keys and one white key with the ivory missing. I have no clue what the action looked like or how it was constructed so I couldn’t “restore” it. While I could have made a new one, it didn’t seem to me like that would have been representative of my original work. Instead, I made the missing keys but left them unfinished and I left the action out completely but set the hammers up with a separate display. My piano teacher also tuned and restored pianos so he provided me with the felt covered hammers, piano wire, tuning pins, the small polished pins that hold the strings and ivory for the keys. Thanks for looking.
Close to Being Finished ........................ This is what I started with.

Ernie Miller
11-06-2010, 9:16 AM
Wow - that's terrific. I've been making miniature instruments for years but I never thought of building a piano that actually plays. As a retired piano tech, I know how difficult this feat is/was. Congrats on a job well done.

Here's a couple of pictures of one of my miniatures.
Ernie

Ed Morgano
11-06-2010, 7:15 PM
Ernie,
That is beautiful. Your attention to detail is remarkable. Do you sell these pianos? A few strings and hammers and you could play it!!! :-) I've thought about building another piano that actually works. It shouldn't be as hard as the first one with all the woodworking toys I have now. We'll see. I still have quite a few other projects first.

Thanks for the compliment.

Ed

Ernie Miller
11-06-2010, 9:14 PM
Ernie,
That is beautiful. Your attention to detail is remarkable. Do you sell these pianos? A few strings and hammers and you could play it!!! :-) I've thought about building another piano that actually works. It shouldn't be as hard as the first one with all the woodworking toys I have now. We'll see. I still have quite a few other projects first.

Thanks for the compliment.

Ed

Ed,

Attention to detail is one thing ..... getting one to actually play like you did is something else altogether. As for selling, it would be easier to sell a hamburger at a vegetarians picnic. Too many hours to build and not enough clients who would pay the commensurate price. I just build them for the fun and the challenge. I'm just finishing two little harpsichords for Christmas presents for my twin 3 year old grandkids. These actually work (or at least come close to working). I'll post a couple of pix when they're done. In the meantime I'll lose some sleep trying to figure out how to make a miniature piano play like you did.

Ernie

Zach England
11-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Looks like this:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/files/u637/schroeder.JPG

Seth Dolcourt
11-08-2010, 9:37 PM
As a jest, both pianos would equally look good sporting a miniaturized Liberace candelabra...:)

Awesome work, whether they play or not!