PDA

View Full Version : A Holly Jolly Story/An Ongoing Saga

Christopher K. Hartley
11-05-2010, 9:33 PM
Once upon a time there were three Holly Trees growing together in the forest. The city decided to build on the property and so the three Holly Trees were destined for the chipper.:eek: They were so sad:( that they would soon become mulch in someones garden and their beautiful white wood would be wasted and forgotten.:confused:

Then in the nick of time a wood turner came by and saw the fate of the Holly family. He asked permission to give the Holly family a new home where their beauty could be appreciated by many people. The Holly family was very happy and got ready to make the move.:D

Nate Davey
11-05-2010, 9:35 PM
Did they live happily ever after?????? Nice haul.

David E Keller
11-05-2010, 9:35 PM
That's a great haul. Holly has become a favorite of mine for detailed finials and such. Congrats on the adoption!:D

Christopher K. Hartley
11-05-2010, 9:38 PM
The Wood Turner took the Holly Family home and made a place among all the other trees of the forest.:) As they took their place in the Wood Turners shop they dreamed of all the things they might become.:p

Ken Fitzgerald
11-05-2010, 9:39 PM
Congratulations on the Holly haul Chris!

Christopher K. Hartley
11-05-2010, 9:44 PM
The first little branch mounted the lathe first to become a pretty little lidded box.;)

The next was a small log which had always wanted to be a bowl. :o

The new life of the Holly family had just begun and they new they would live happily ever after.:)

Christopher K. Hartley
11-05-2010, 9:49 PM
Some skeptical people wondered if the Wood Turner ever turned anything but with the Holly Family and all the other forest woods there will be plenty of curlies to decorate the Wood Turners Shop.:D

And so they all lived Happily ever after.:):):)

John Keeton
11-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Congrats, Chris, and I want you to know I am in love with your lathe. Had I not taken an oath of fidelity with my little Delta, I would leave her in a minute for your gorgeous Beauty!

Michael James
11-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Christopher K. Hartley: "Some skeptical people wondered if the Wood Turner ever turned anything ......

Good show Christopher! This skeptic KNEW you have turned prolifically, just wondered why you had not shared a recent turning. :) Bravo.
I love holly and thats going to be a super bowl, for sure,
Michael

Baxter Smith
11-05-2010, 10:38 PM
So whatever happened to the little branch that wanted to be a pretty little lidded box?:) Since I assume you are roughing these out to turn later, how do you go about roughing out the box and drying it? I have tried rough hollowing a couple then bagging them but you either are doing it differently or you left out a page from the book.;)

Christopher K. Hartley
11-05-2010, 10:57 PM
So whatever happened to the little branch that wanted to be a pretty little lidded box?:) Since I assume you are roughing these out to turn later, how do you go about roughing out the box and drying it? I have tried rough hollowing a couple then bagging them but you either are doing it differently or you left out a page from the book.;)Baxter, I am using an old crock pot my wife got rid of to boil the little pieces. Once boiled then I dry them in a paper bag before finish turning.:)

David E Keller
11-05-2010, 11:01 PM
I've turned a little holly that I got from elsewhere, but I don't think the American holly tree grows this far west.

Does anyone know if holly bushes have similar turning properties? I've got some older bushes near the backyard that are going to come down at some point, and I'd salvage the trunks(4 to 5") if it's worthwhile.

Steve Schlumpf
11-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Chris - thanks for the picture book story! Congrats on all that wood! Looking forward to seeing some turnings once they are finished!

Have fun!

Christopher K. Hartley
11-05-2010, 11:19 PM
I've turned a little holly that I got from elsewhere, but I don't think the American holly tree grows this far west.

Does anyone know if holly bushes have similar turning properties? I've got some older bushes near the backyard that are going to come down at some point, and I'd salvage the trunks(4 to 5") if it's worthwhile.David, go for it. I have even turned red tip fotina bushes and it was beautiful. These hollys are about 14" at the bases and they grow wild here in the pine forests.

Fred Perreault
11-06-2010, 7:14 AM
Chris, great narration. Makes the weekend for me.

Steve Vaughan
11-06-2010, 1:06 PM
What a great story...and find! Taking care of all God's creatures like that, I am certain there will be lots of trees in your forest!