PDA

View Full Version : Bad end of day........

Dan Hill
11-05-2010, 7:23 PM
After about 4 min. into the last job of the day the laser stopped firing. Checked the lense and found it dirty. After cleaning the lense and mirrors I restarted the job and after about 30 seconds it stopped firing again. Checked and cleaned the filters just in case, no help. I think the tube gave up after only 8 years and 8 months! Can't think of anything else that could cause the problem, any suggestions?
This is a ULS M300-50 and has given superb service till today.
Dan Hill

Curt Stallings
11-05-2010, 7:58 PM
Do you have a magnetic switch for the door that could be opening? That would shut the beam off.

Lee DeRaud
11-05-2010, 8:04 PM
I think the tube gave up after only 8 years and 8 months!Eh? In human years, that's about 110.
(Although normally I wouldn't expect a failed tube to be intermittent.)

Dan Hill
11-05-2010, 8:09 PM
It fires corectly for about 30 - 45 sesonds so I don't think the mag switch is the problem. If the door opens while the laser is running it stops and returns to home position. If the door is not activating the switch when the laser is started it will turn on the red pointer and go thru the motions.

Dan Hintz
11-05-2010, 8:39 PM
Make sure the tube or the power supply are not overheating...

Bruce Volden
11-05-2010, 8:40 PM
Dan,

I think you may be correct in your assumption regaurding the tube :(

However, welcome to the club:D

Bruce

Joe Pelonio
11-05-2010, 9:26 PM
When my first tube failed it cut broken lines, fired on and off randomly. If you use it regularly I'd say that you got your money's worth out of it.

Dan Hill
11-05-2010, 10:26 PM
I agree with Joe, the tube dosen't owe me anything. The unit saw an average of 30 - 35 hours a week for more than 8 years.
Dan

Ed Lang
11-06-2010, 7:37 AM
My M-300 50W machine is 6 years old and never missed a beat until last year. A call to Universal and they had me move a couple of switches on the tube and it has been running fine since. They said it increased the tickle on the tube and that the tube might go anytime now. The problem only showed up when the temp in the shop was below 65*. If the shop was warmer, the problem did not show up. The has run perfect even in 65* temp for the past year and it ran just fine this morning at 66*.

I checked on tube costs and I recall about $1200 for the 50W.