PDA

View Full Version : Not quite as shameless a drum sander Gloat.

keith micinski
11-05-2010, 7:02 PM
I found this Performax 16/32 on Craigslist for 450. it came with a bunch of sandpaper and the casters on it are really nice. The only problem with it is that the conveyor belt is a little chewed up on the end and the seam is starting to split apart. I found the conveyor belt for 30 so I am still really happy with this deal since I have been looking for 6 months now. The previous owner hadn't used the sander in about a year and a half and only used it for hobbyist work so it appears to be in really great shape.

keith micinski
11-05-2010, 7:06 PM
Is anyone else having problems posting photos recently?

Paul McGaha
11-05-2010, 7:07 PM
Keith,

Congratulations on the sander. Looks like a nice one.

PHM

Robert Chapman
11-05-2010, 7:10 PM
That's a great deal. I don't know how I got along without my 16/32 - well yes I do - endless work with the ROS. You'll love this machine.

Neil Brooks
11-05-2010, 7:22 PM
Nice !

I bought one, recently, too.

FWIW, it came with an Accura rubber replacement conveyor belt (http://www.accuramachinetools.com/replacement-conveyor-belt-for-accuraryobiperformax-etc-1632-sa.html) that I like MUCH better than the OEM sandpaper belt.

Will Overton
11-05-2010, 7:23 PM
I spent some time with my 16-32 this afternoon thinning a bunch of home made mouldings. Great machine and you got it for a great price.

keith micinski
11-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks Neal I'll look into it.

Van Huskey
11-06-2010, 12:30 AM
Good find! YOU SUCK.

Dave Lehnert
11-06-2010, 12:40 PM
I can kick myself now. One was for sale just up the street from my house for $350. I passed on it because on Sawmill there was a thread at the time of people who were not all that happy with the unit.

Keep us up to date how you like the machine.

keith micinski
11-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Hopefully I am going to get to try it out later today on some cutting boards. I ran some small test pieces through it yesterday without really checking the setup and they came out better then they did from my Jointer. I am planning on building a u shaped table that will work as an infeed and outfeed table but also work as a side table to support wider pieces to. My biggest hope for this machine is being able to make cabinet doors and run them through to clean the rails and styles up.

keith micinski
11-06-2010, 1:03 PM
I did just download the Manual and I have found out that I am missing a tool to help in the installation and the paper on the drum. does any one have a photo of this tool so I can make one?

Neil Brooks
11-06-2010, 1:16 PM
Keith-

As a new owner of a 16/32, my understanding AND experience is ... unless you have _really_ fat fingers, you don't need the tool.

Check it out. You may not need it, either. You just have to be able to get to the clips that hold the paper in place.

If you _can't_ do it, then -- by trying it -- you'll likely be able to see _exactly_ what you'd need TO do it.

'zat make sense ??

Neil Brooks
11-06-2010, 1:18 PM
And ... just in case ... I found a pic, online:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/toolsplus_2127_218959047

Beauty, eh ? :)

keith micinski
11-06-2010, 2:25 PM
Thanks hopefully I wont need it then.

keith micinski
11-07-2010, 12:04 AM
So I finally got around to running some wide test pieces through the sander to see how much adjusting needed to be done with the head. I guess the previous owner knew what he was doing because I ran a 24 inch piece through and it came out perfect. I didn't know what to expect after all of the reading I had done about tipping the outside of the head up to avoid getting a ridge but if this is what I can expect out if this sander then I am going to be a very happy camper. I also was able to change the paper without the tool. One thing Idid notice is that you really have to get a good bend on the paper where it goes over the drum and down into the slot other wise it leaves a little bit of a high spot.

Mike Cutler
11-07-2010, 6:50 AM
Keith

The Performax 16-32 is a fine machine. I owned one for a few years prior to getting a large dual drum sander.
I ran 4/4,6/4 and 8/4 tropical hardwood boards through it. Some 14"+ wide and 11' long. It handled them fine. It took a little setup, but I was successful.
I'm pretty sure I pushed that machine passed it's reasonable limits.:D

Take light passes, and rotate your material 180 degrees and send it through again on the same height setting.
On the final passes, rotate the material the 180 degree and flip it over without changing the drum height. The surfaces will be very close to being ready for finishing.
I generally didn't go much past 150 or maybe 180 grit.
Make no more than a 1/6th of a revolution of the crank handle when changing the drum height.
In the 5+ years I owed mine I never used that tool you are missing.
You don't appear to have the infeed/outfeed tables. Make some really nice portable infeed/outfeed tables and use wax paper for their surface. I took the infeed/outfeed tables off mine and used homemade tables for longer material.

Nice gloat.