PDA

View Full Version : Stressed over show

Larry Dubia
11-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Hi fellow Creekers,
I am really stressing over a gallery showing I have to set up Saturday (tomorrow). This being my first, I would like to get a smattering of opinions on types of things to put in. I have made ornaments, bowls, HF's, seam rippers, pens, candle holders, whisks, bottle stoppers, lamps, platters, one urn, and others. I have made a lot of things to put in and feel somewhat prepared (I think).

The biggest stress I have is the opening. I have been unable to glean ANY information from the person who runs the restaurant where the showing is to take place. She talks about having an opening but can't tell me when, or how sales are to be handled, refreshments, or any of the other myriad details associated with this type of endeavor. There has been no advertisement, I can't tell my friends about it. I got nothing.

How do I handle this? I have to put the stuff in Saturday at 2:30.

Any comments, suggestions, or help is greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, I also have a craft fair on the following Saturday, and a club meeting on Sunday! So those dates are probably out for a show unless she does this in the evening.

Larry

(If I were writing to an adv ice collumn, I would sign as completely freaked out!)

Dennis Ford
11-05-2010, 12:58 PM
The fact that you have not been able to get information about how sales will be handled is the biggest of several red flags. It might be better to not have a show if you don't know what percentage the commision is. My advise is to get a contract or stay home.

Steve Schlumpf
11-05-2010, 1:56 PM
I have to agree with Dennis! Without some of the basics such as time of the event, how sales are to be handled and where you are setting up, etc - I would be in touch with the owner and let them know that I would not be participating.

Best of luck with this - I do hope you get some answers before you haul all your stuff down there!

Dan Hintz
11-05-2010, 2:00 PM
Stay far away... this is either their first showing (which you never want to be a part of), or they're hoping to get you stuck there and force you to accept a large percentage of the sale to go to them.

Who doesn't advertise a show? How do they expect people to know about it? How can someone putting on a show not be able to answer such simple questions off of the top of their head? Red flags galore...

David DeCristoforo
11-05-2010, 2:53 PM
Go to the craft fair. Forget this "show". From the information you have provided, you are dealing with either completely inept people or completely dishonest people. In the sprit of allowing the benefit of doubt, let's assume the former. But in either case, you are better off politely bowing out.

Rick Prosser
11-05-2010, 4:18 PM
"She talks about having an opening but can't tell me when, or how sales are to be handled, refreshments, or any of the other myriad details associated with this type of endeavor. There has been no advertisement"

Sounds to me like there is not going to be a show. Without this information - how could there be one? Who would come? Am I missing something?:confused:

Wally Dickerman
11-05-2010, 4:44 PM
A show that's as poorly planned that one is one you don't want to be involved with.

Wally

Roger Bullock
11-05-2010, 5:55 PM
Run Forest run. If she don't know....don't show.

Jim Underwood
11-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Quit stressing by bailing out. You should have had those answers long before now. Like... months ago. Run, don't walk.

Larry Dubia
11-05-2010, 11:31 PM
I appreciate all of the support here. I failed to mention one aspect mainly because I didn't consider it important. The woman doing this is a very good customer and has been buying my stuff repeatedly AND is going to order some new things, including a clock. She owns a restaurant nearby and has art on her walls of other people.

Everyone in the restaurant knows about this and is excited to have my stuff there. I am getting known in the area because of my work and I felt this would be fun. The only part I do know is that I am supposed to setup on Saturday at 2:30. She said she would discuss the incidentals then.

I agree with everyone here in that I should be running away, but she is a friend. I trust her. I hope this works out as I have already made the commitment to be there. We shall see. God I hope this works out. At any rate, I will let you all know the end result.

Larry

Dan Hintz
11-06-2010, 8:41 AM
It's your call, Larry, but I think you would be foolish to set up and then discuss details. What if she makes completely unreasonable demands? You'll have to walk away (after you've set up), and you're still out a customer the same as if you had walked away... but now you have a lot of cleanup to do. If you insist on going down this path, force her to talk at least the night before. Make something up, tell her your insurance requires you to have details so they can provide proper coverage. Tell her you would like to bring a few specific pieces that the profit goes to a charity, but you need to know the details before including those in the show. Make it up!

Bernie Weishapl
11-06-2010, 10:49 AM
If she is a friend Larry you need to go over there and have a chat. Find out what your take is or what the arrangements are. I can tell you from experience friends and business don't mix well. I agree with Dan. Business is business. If you get there and the terms are a joke, you pick up and leave you have lost a friend. You don't show up because you don't know the terms or haven't asked you may have lost a friend. Go talk to her and if the terms are unacceptable tell her so and that you won't be setting up. I would rather lose sales than to setup and get some unreasonable terms or sales split of say 50/50 or 40/60. 70/30 is the lowest I would go. Just my $1.298. Hope things work out.

David Woodruff
11-06-2010, 5:03 PM
Larry, The dozens and dozens of shows I have been involved with; the show sponsor literally floods me with info weeks in advance and makes well sure I am participating whether it is a day or weekend show and the commission or terms of sale are clearly spelled out.
Forget this person, if he/she is for real/ they are indeed poor business people. Shows can be stressful enough without having to deal with a lot of unknowns. Unload-go turn, that my advice and I am sticking with it.

William Bachtel
11-06-2010, 8:08 PM
You need to lay down the ground rules, not her. This will avoid any surprises later, and it sounds like you will have them. Everyone here has given you good advice. I wood listen up.