PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City

Tyler Howell
12-27-2004, 6:00 PM
Has anybody done any serious shopping here ? :eek: Just checking for my next life when I'm born rich:o.
Is it my browser or do a number of their links not work?

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/ok_default.html

Jim Becker
12-27-2004, 6:02 PM
Bridge City makes very nice stuff, although not on the "low end"!! 'Don't own anything from them but have examined their products are shows.

Steve Wargo
12-27-2004, 6:21 PM
The wheel marking gauge for marking arcs. It is a beautiful and fully functional piece. I couldn't live without it. It was actually one of the first "Fine" tools I ever purchased and was a gift to myself for my birthday about 3 years ago. That's the only way I can afford them :D.

Mark Singer
12-27-2004, 6:45 PM
I think its all a bit boutique and not really for woodworkers...maybe fir collectors rather than users...

Brian Buckley
12-27-2004, 8:15 PM
I agree with all of the above. I took a CAD class at Bridge City (Portland) about 18 months ago. I was able to see and touch most all items they have ever made. Some of the most buitiful craftsmanship I have ever seen. With that said, some work very well and some just look super. My wife has ginen me quite a few of their tools over the years. The squares and marking guages are top drawer. I have 4 of the planes they build (works of art) . The 2 bench planes are are as good as any I have ever used. The two specialty planes, (bullnose and chamfer) look good hanging on the wall but are finicky to adjust . They have quite a few items that fall into the expensive and unusual gadget catagory that work well on the rare ocasion I have to use them.

John (cant spell his last name) who started the company is a real inovator with a strong desire to design and build the best of the best. He is also a real class act. They have had some financial problems the last couple of years. Part or all of the company has been sold to someone else. (I think it is Woodsmith). I hope they survive because they fill a unique segment of the market.

Brian

Brian Buckley
12-27-2004, 8:25 PM
Tyler,

The Bridge City Web site does not work very well. Order the catalog, it is good for several nights of day dreaming and wishing.

Brian

Roger Bell
12-27-2004, 8:57 PM
BCTW is a local Oregon company founded by John Economaki. Economaki designs most of the tools himself, as I understand it. About a year or so ago, during the economic downturn I believe he sold a substantial portion of the company. However, he remains active in it, as far as I know, since I saw him there the last time I stopped in. And it appears that they still offer the same product line. I have had the opportunity to examine most of that line.

In years past, they offered "scratch and dents" or blems to the local WW population as well as exotic wood scraps, substantially discounted at an occasional "sale". Also, around here, their tools occasionally also show up used. They still offer the occasional blem if you get on their web mailing list. It was on this basis (ie, on the cheap) that I acquired several of their tools. What I do have, I have had for quite some time. I own two or three squares (their adjustable try square is very nice), a couple of rules, a very large machinists protractor (also a great tool), and a set of proportioning dividers (exceptionally well made compared to the usual offerings). I also have one of their very early rosewood/brass wheeled marking/mortise gauges. I do not own nor have I used any of their planes.

I believe the quality to be on par with Starrett for the layout tools I own and use all the time. Most of their tools are quite beautiful as creations themselves. That is another one of their design objectives. They make nice gifts. Are they worth the money? That is a value judgment that only you are capable of making upon examination of the product, your resources, your sense of aesthetics and other factors peculiar to you. Obviously, one can do superior work with ordinary or even crude tools, but that rather begs the question, I think. I do believe that one or two of their offerings appear rather gimmicky, but, then again, I don't own those tools and am not, therefore, entitled to pass judgment.

I seem to recall that there was a bit of a flap a couple of years ago on either Badger Pond or Woodcentral concerning some overhyped marketing claims that BCTW was apparently making concerning their block planes. I dont recall the details, but I do recall that Economaki responded to them.

Jim Barrett
12-27-2004, 9:07 PM
I visited BCTW about 12 yrs ago when I was doing some work in Portland. They were most gracious giving me a tour of their workplace. Economake was very interesting to chat with as well. I have several items from BCTW... all very nice!

Jim

Pam Niedermayer
12-28-2004, 2:04 AM
I seem to recall that there was a bit of a flap a couple of years ago on either Badger Pond or Woodcentral concerning some overhyped marketing claims that BCTW was apparently making concerning their block planes. I dont recall the details, but I do recall that Economaki responded to them.

Yeah, it was on BP; and his response wasn't useful, along the lines of "we do what we do and that's that, take it or leave it; but it's certainly not appropriate for any of you to comment in public on our pricing policies."

Pam

Randy Meijer
12-28-2004, 3:21 AM
I have a couple of their tools and love them.....not for what they do; but for how they make me feel when I use them. Wish I could afford to have a few more; but that's not going to happen any time soon.

If you write with a Bic pen from Wal-Mart, you are also probably happy with Sears tools. If you love to use one of the finely crafted and pricey pens made by some of SMC's skilled pen crafters, you will probably get the same joy from a BCTW tool

Keith Christopher
12-28-2004, 3:39 AM
Mr. Hale will have a thing or two, he has a full compliment of these tools.

Alan Turner
12-28-2004, 5:51 AM
I have several BCTW offerings, and while expensive, they were worth it to me. The machinists protractor is used to accurately set an angle on a drill press, etc., and you can really dial it in. It is not so outrageous as some of the other tools.

I also have a 2" by 4" hinged sadle square, which is quite useful when you need to take a square line around a corner that is other than 90 degrees.

Finally, I bought a 4" try square as part of an estate I purchased. It was out of square. They have a unique warranty policy, so for $5 I sent it to them, and they reworked it and sent it back about 6 weeks later, no further charge. I think they do this with all of their tools.

I also have a 6" triangular rule with stop, which I bough as a "blem" and it is pretty much useless to me. Each to his own.

I have been to thier showroom/plant twice since my sister lives in Portland (the city of bridges) and it is always a fun outing. Pretty smallish operation. Beautiful tools and pleasant people, including John E. From idscussions there, it is my impression that many of their customers are more collectors than users.
Alan