PDA

View Full Version : SuperNova2 problems

Scott Hackler
11-04-2010, 9:00 PM
I really have enjoyed this chuck but now I have a problem. The allen wrench insets (where you tighten) have appearently been rounded off a bit. I cant use the t-wrench anymore and have to use a normal allen wrench now. So... anyone ever rebuilt a SuperNova2 and how hard is it to aquire parts???

Thanks.

I am seriously concidering a different chuck that doesnt take this allen wrench to use. Any recommendations?

Vern Cockayne
11-04-2010, 9:08 PM
Try grinding off the end of the T handle hex tool to remove about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. Its more likely the tool rounded some rather than the chuck.
Vern

neil mackay
11-04-2010, 9:49 PM
Try grinding off the end of the T handle hex tool to remove about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. Its more likely the tool rounded some rather than the chuck.

Yep thats what I did works just fine

Rich Aldrich
11-04-2010, 9:52 PM
We have had the same problem with this type of wrench at the paper mill. We normally cut the rounded end off, make it a normal allen wrench with a T handle.

I have the same chuck and was wondering how long the wrench would last.

David E Keller
11-04-2010, 10:12 PM
The other thing that I've had happen with my Grizzly chuck handles is that the hex piece slips inside the plastic handle. I thought it was my chuck for the longest time... I just pulled out the hex and epoxied it back into the handle. That seems to have fixed it.

Bernie Weishapl
11-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Grind the ball off the end and that should take care of your problem. It sure did with my chuck.

Scott Hackler
11-04-2010, 11:04 PM
I know that cutting off the ball will work.. for now, but the insert is definitely worn out as well. I have a new set of allen wrenches that have the ball end and it wont work either, just spins. So... eventually the inserts will need replacing.

At our club they have some midi chucks that use a tapered gear t-wrench. Looks like that would last forever.

Ray Bell
11-04-2010, 11:21 PM
"At our club they have some midi chucks that use a tapered gear t-wrench. Looks like that would last forever".

That is the Stronghold chuck. They are good.

Tony Wheeler
11-05-2010, 12:09 AM
they are not bad to replace used to get the replacement from Tim Giest but tecka has changed reps Ill see if I can find the new info for you and let you know

Andrew Kertesz
11-05-2010, 5:40 AM
Didn't they just open a service center in Florida? According to the time line I remember it should be fully operational by now.

Matt Newton
11-05-2010, 9:46 AM
I had the same problem and got replacement parts from Tim. He helped clarify the directions on how to rebuild the chuck. It turned out to be pretty straight forward. I also took the rounded end off the wrench after I replaced the gear so I shouldn't need to do it again.

Robert McGowen
11-05-2010, 9:53 AM
I use a 3/8" socket wrench. You can buy a socket that has the appropriate size allen wrench and you have a lot more leverage and a better fit.

Jon McElwain
11-05-2010, 10:08 AM
"At our club they have some midi chucks that use a tapered gear t-wrench. Looks like that would last forever".

That is the Stronghold chuck. They are good.

Or the Talon chuck. Both by Oneway. Excellent chucks, they crank down hard when you need it, and are very easy to use. The gears inside are hardened steel, so it should be a really long time before they wear out, if they ever did. Probably would not need the stronghold unless you are chucking large (>24") pieces.

Leo Van Der Loo
11-05-2010, 8:33 PM
I know that cutting off the ball will work.. for now, but the insert is definitely worn out as well. I have a new set of allen wrenches that have the ball end and it wont work either, just spins. So... eventually the inserts will need replacing.

At our club they have some midi chucks that use a tapered gear t-wrench. Looks like that would last forever.

Scott for now I would take the next size allen wrench and file it down to get an exact fit, that would help for a while at least.

I have a bunch of Oneway chucks (4) and my oldest is 12 years old IIRC, it has done a lot of heavy turning and the fits are as good now as when new, just a little smoother if anything, oh and never been apart yet.

I am very happy with these chucks and it is again a case of you get what you pay for I'm afraid :)

Jerry Marcantel
11-05-2010, 9:15 PM
Scot, sometimes a Torx bit will work in place of an Allen wrench..... Try that if you have a Torx set............ Jerry (in Tucson)

Gary Max
11-05-2010, 9:39 PM
I send one into the service center out east and he rebuilt the whole thing for about 1/2 the price of the chuck.

Chris Struttman
11-08-2010, 5:26 PM
The Nova G3 also uses the tapered gear T wrench

Jeff Nicol
11-08-2010, 6:46 PM
I really have enjoyed this chuck but now I have a problem. The allen wrench insets (where you tighten) have appearently been rounded off a bit. I cant use the t-wrench anymore and have to use a normal allen wrench now. So... anyone ever rebuilt a SuperNova2 and how hard is it to aquire parts???

Thanks.

I am seriously concidering a different chuck that doesnt take this allen wrench to use. Any recommendations?
Scott, Post a picture of the worn out part, maybe I can brainstorm something quick until you can get parts.

Jeff

Skip Spaulding
11-08-2010, 8:51 PM
Try Teknatool/Nova Phone 1-866-748-3025
4627 Chancellor St. NE
St. Petersburg, Florida 33703