PDA

View Full Version : ridgid r4511 value (parts missing, crack in granite)

Jason Adkins
11-04-2010, 8:55 PM
I have a chance to pick up a ridgid r4511 granite top saw with no rip fence, miter gauge, or guard, and a small crack in the granite that the seller says is minor. It has the rip fence rails but no fence. I figure i can find a guard for it or splurge on a shark guard. Ill need to source a miter gauge and find/make a rip fence. how much do you figure the saw is worth taking into account the missing parts? I think i can get it for around 200

Joseph Tarantino
11-04-2010, 10:01 PM
an incra v27 miter gauge is approx. $50 . those shark guards are good but they're not cheap. what about the riving knife? the crack in the granite could be filled in with clear epoxy, like my installer did on my kitchen countertop. a delta t2 fence (rails and fence) is $200 @ amazon, but requires some finessing for effective installation. i'd use a different strategy there. PM me for details.

$200 is the max i'd go since i've seen a few ridgid ts2424s which were complete, good looking units for between $200 and $300. and those are the older gray colored tools built for ridgid by emerson electric which carried lifetime guarantys that were specific to the tool, regardless of whether the current owner was the original owner. second hand 4511s are inelligible for any warranty or Limited Lifetime Service Agreement coverage. HTH.

Greg Peterson
11-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Joseph - I managed to get the T2 to work but I am curious as to what you used.

Jason Adkins
11-04-2010, 10:23 PM
I asked about the crack. he said that it is not raised on either side or displaced, and is smooth when running your finger over it. I thought about something like this for the rip fence. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?p=1588940

Jason Adkins
11-04-2010, 10:24 PM
an incra v27 miter gauge is approx. $50 . those shark guards are good but they're not cheap. what about the riving knife? the crack in the granite could be filled in with clear epoxy, like my installer did on my kitchen countertop. a delta t2 fence (rails and fence) is $200 @ amazon, but requires some finessing for effective installation. i'd use a different strategy there. PM me for details.
You can get a riving knife from the shark guard guy for about 40 bucks.

Matt Meiser
11-05-2010, 7:47 AM
I'd look that machine over very carefully if something happened to crack the top. Did it get dropped? It could have other damage that may make it very difficult or impossible to get it properly aligned.

That homemade fence is cool, but I'd bet unless you have access to a free supply of steel you'll spend close to the cost of a new fence by the time you buy the steel and other hardware. The Shop Fox fence is $265 shipped from Grizzly for the version with the short rails.

The Incra V27 is a great basic miter gauge.

Tom Rash
11-05-2010, 9:07 AM
I know by me HD was still had some R4511 on clearance for 350, which means you probably could get them down to 300 0r lower. I would call the HD's around you to see if they have any. I have the saw and like it alot. I know they are coming out with a new one r4512 that I saw on HD's website.

Thomas Delpizzo
11-05-2010, 8:34 PM
I say tell him to keep it. Why are all the parts missing? :confused: The Ridgids go cheap enough and they'll be on sale for the holidays. I'd give him $200 if it was complete. Here, you've got too many things to buy and adjust to fit to make it work. It's not worth it; it will end up frustrating you and you won't be happy with the final product. A new one at HD will be cheaper in the long run and you'll be able to saw with it right away! :)

Terry Welty
11-06-2010, 5:11 AM
I really like mine... I replaced the rails to accomodate a router table set up.... the fence isn't that great anyway... probably will replace it down the road... other parts aren't that expensive to replace. The saw was greatly discounted across the board prior to being discontinued and you'll lose the "Life Time Warranty"... plus you'll have to deal with the crack or look at it the rest of the life of the saw.... I wouldn't go over $150. Make sure the other features work. There's all kinds of info on the saw at the Ridgid website. Good Luck!

Myk Rian
11-06-2010, 6:36 AM
Pass it by.
That granite will finish cracking, and then what will you do.
Find an iron-top saw.

Dan Karachio
11-06-2010, 9:33 AM
I'm sorry, but I have seen good contractor saws with fences, miter gauges and solid tops going used for $300. Why buy a boat load of issues to fix for $200? If someone gave this to you, then sure, but I'm not seeing this is as a good move.

John Coloccia
11-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Ditto with the general consensus. $200 for a broken saw with missing pieces sounds like a bad deal.

Chip Lindley
11-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Double Ditto! Cracked granite is a no-no even if FREE! You will never be proud of that TS, and every time you kick it, that granite crack may grow!

Mark Ashmeade
11-06-2010, 2:10 PM
A new one at HD will be cheaper in the long run and you'll be able to saw with it right away! :)

The problem with that is that they are no longer generally available. The odd store has them at $350 or so. They can't be ordered either.

The specs of the R4511 are great, especially for the price. I bought two of them. Having used the saw(s), I am back onto my contractor saw. The fence is frankly dreadful in comparison with my TS3660 (which the R4511 superseded). Sure, it can be improved or replaced, but that's money that could be put into something better.

I sold one of the 4511s, and the other is on CL.

Jason Adkins
11-06-2010, 5:42 PM
I sold one of the 4511s, and the other is on CL.Mark, where do you live LOL. The guy called me today to see if I was still interested and I told him I was gonna pass. guess Ill keep paying on my craftsman that is on layaway