PDA

View Full Version : TheWoodworkingShow worth it?

Greg Scott
04-08-2003, 3:14 PM
I'm about three hours away from Chicago and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on if it is worth making the trip to attend the show this weekend.

Steve Clardy
04-08-2003, 4:15 PM
every year in February. I have for the last 13-14 years now. There are usually some bargains, discounts. Just depends on what you are looking for. Steve

PS. Take lotsa moola.

Mike Circo
04-08-2003, 4:25 PM
Don't go for deals, there are rarely any.

If you go, do so for the camaradrie, seeing new stuff, meeting folks and attending demos or classes.

You must drive like a bat-outta-heck to get to Villa Park from Iowa in three hours!!! It takes me over one hour and I am just 40 miles away in a different suburb.

Years ago the shows were much better. Now they just hawk the same goods you can buy online (at the same price as online). If you are a beginner/intermediate, you may learn something by watching demos.

The cost is a killer though. $7 for parking, $8 for the show $5 for gas to and back. I have yet to get a deal that compensates the nearly $20 I spend attending.

Scott Coffelt
04-08-2003, 6:06 PM
Personally, I think it is a matter of what you are going for, the quality of the show and the vendors. Let me expand, I go for three reasons (1) it's in KC about 5-10 minutes from my house (2) gives me a chance to check out some new tools and test drive others, or at least kick the tires (3) an occasional bargin.

It is a great way to pick up supplies and mall things you never seem to want to mail order for or are not available locally. The KC show has a least one local company and they will usually deal, so I can support the local folks and get a more competitive price. They usually sell the floor models. For instance, I bought my M12V for $30 less than the going rate 3 years ago, the Jet air cleaner for about $30 less than I can today, because I wheel and deal with them.

I have heard some shows just suck, I guess we have been fairly lucky in KC. One company pulled out of the show, but instead they have a big store sale going on at the same time.

Finally, you can talk to folks about their products. Be prepared, if you know you are looking for something have prices available so you can tell if it is a good deal or not.

Kevin Gerstenecker
04-08-2003, 7:00 PM
I agree with the others on most points. I go every year mostly because it is located about 10 minutes from the house. There are good demonstrations, but I agree that there are few good deals, if any. I think the Vendors know they have a captive audience, and they mostly sell at retail. I figure they think they are saving you shipping costs, and that is deal enough. They will bargain at times, but most are firm on price. Some Vendors, like The Woodworkers Choice, have quite a few show specials, and some are deals and some are not. At the Venue where the show is held locally, it is VERY crowded. I have learned to take a vacation day, and attend on Friday, about 2 hours after the show opens............still packed, but I hate to stand in line! In my opinion, good place to buy consumables, but not much else. (Although we had a local company that sells Bosch, Dewalt, Milwaukee, and PC, among others, that had some great deals on power tools this year.) Overall, I'd say if you have never been to the Woodworkers Show, it is worth the trip to judge for yourself.............and if you're not careful, you may just learn something! ;)

Jim Baker
04-08-2003, 9:33 PM
I have been to the Collinsville show twice and find it to be much too crowded for my taste. I found the best part to be the classes and seminars. The ones I went to seemed to be very informative and non-biased.

I think shows can be a good place to see a lot of tools in one place to compare, but not really a good place to buy.

Kevin Gerstenecker
04-08-2003, 10:46 PM
I know what you mean about the Collinsville Show Jim, that is very near where I live, in Troy. Although the location is handy for me, I think they need to find a larger venue for the show. It is WAY to crowded for the size the show has grown to. There is no doubt that woodworking in growing.............I have been going to the Collinsville Show since it began, and every year I ask myself why I put myself through the madness? I guess I am afraid I'll miss something! I always manage to wade thru the crowd, and spend a few bucks on something I just cannot live without. :D

Lincoln Myers
04-08-2003, 11:29 PM
I go to the show in IL 2x a year. I live about 1 hour away from the show in Villa Park. I rarely buy anything big, a few odds and ends. But it is still fun to look and check out all the new tools and gadgets. I also really like the free seminars. I get a lot out of those. I like to pick the brains of these masters when I get the chance.

A few years back I caught Marc Adams' sharpening technique, the one w/ a belt sander, shaved hairs off his arm and took all of 2 minutes or less. I use that technique and recommend it all the time.

Got to catch Kelley Meheler's table saw crosscut sled seminar it was good as well.

You can usually see 2 or 3 of these free 30 - 45 minute seminars if you time it right.

Some don't like the shows, but I have fun and ususally learn somthing too, and that can't be all bad.

jack duren
04-09-2003, 12:38 AM
i heard last year from one of the ladies running the register at TWC(is that correct) that kansas city was considered the second largest , compared to the Dallas show. not too shabby. now this could make a diference in other areas compared to use kere in the KC area.

but you can get deals. not so much on tools but on bulk items, clamps and accessories. dont expect to buy one -three items and call that "bulk". i buy atleast 10 of whatever. got $10.00 clamps $8.00ea. buying 10.

guy i know buys big bulk on MIRKA sandpaper. gets great deals this way. buys a one year supply each year at the show, but he uses a lot....jack

jack duren
04-09-2003, 12:41 AM
any of you kansas city gents that went to the show remember a shorty, grey haired feller wearing a leather "dallas" jacket at the ww show this year?...thata be me....jack

Tom Gattiker
04-09-2003, 9:07 AM
... the lack of factory reps for the major OEM's like Jet and Delta or even knowlegeable sales reps from the retailers. Most of the time the guy walking around in the Jet or Delta (or whatever) shirt was a buddy (hired to work the show) of the guy who owns the local Woodcraft or Rockler or whatever franchise.

Kevin Post
04-09-2003, 10:46 AM
I went to the one in St. Paul, MN last weekend.

I drove a couple hours to get there for two specific things. I wanted to see Jet's new lathes and to attend a cabinet-making workshop. No lathes... and the cabinet-making workshop was someone demoing a CMT router bit set to make door parts (no cabinets or doors were constructed). I was disappointed...

Whether the show is worthwhile depends largely on each individual. If you have a large retailer in your area, you already have the opportunity to see and touch most of the tools that are on display at the show. If you don't have a dealer close to you, then the trip would be worthwhile just to get to see the products.

Since we all access a wealth of woodworking resources on the internet, I don't think the shows hold quite as much benefit for us as they would for someone who does not access the internet. (I continue to be amazed at the number of people who still do not use the internet.)

The exceptions... I saw a demo of the Legacy Ornamental Mill that was very impressive. The ability to see lots of specialty jigs that spark ideas on how you can improve your own techniques without actually buying any of them. I have an Incra Jig Ultra for my router table that I received as a gift. It has never been used for anything other than as a basic fence. After seeing its demo, I'm anxious to set it up and make some things with it.

Don't go for the deals because they aren't anything special. The prices I encountered were the same as I would pay at most big retailers.

-Kevin