PDA

View Full Version : Benjamin's Best Chisels

joshua giles
11-04-2010, 3:20 PM
I have been looking at purchasing some turning chisels but was wondering if anyone knew if the benjamin's best hss chisels from PSI were the same quality as the hss chisels sold at HF.

Brander Roullett
11-04-2010, 5:20 PM
I have been looking at purchasing some turning chisels but was wondering if anyone knew if the benjamin's best hss chisels from PSI were the same quality as the hss chisels sold at HF.

I bought a cheap set of turning chisels at Harbor freight a while back, and they have performed quite well. I was surprised, but they hold up great. Decent (not stellar) steel that is decently thick.

I bought a Benjamin best scraper, and it's pretty thin but it's meh quality. My go to tools are the HF ones actually, and I've been tempted by more expensive higher quality tools, but at the end of the day my HF ones work just fine.

Tony Zaffuto
11-04-2010, 6:04 PM
I bought a 7 piece set at HF, believe the brand was "Windsor". They're HSS and cost about $39.00. They're also excellent.

joshua giles
11-04-2010, 6:47 PM
Thanks for the input, I am new to turning and looking for the best route on lathe chisels to learn on. I believe i will go ahead and order the HF set.

Rich Purdum
11-04-2010, 6:54 PM
I have the two HF sets (there is a dark handled set and a light handled set...at least there used to be) and a Benjamin's Best roughing gouge. I'm a novice turner but can't see much difference other than the handle on the PSI tool is a bit nicer. Since I rehandled all the HF chisels anyway that difference is gone. I purchased the PSI set of heavy scrapers but have not put them to use as yet. They seem fine. A year or so ago I saw a post on a site where the guy had the HF HSS steel tested and it passed just fine. For the life of me I couldn't find it again. You might be better off posting this question over in the Turner's Forum.