PDA

View Full Version : "500 Wood Bowls"

Ray Bell
11-04-2010, 2:57 PM
Does anybody have this book, published by Lark Press? If you do any idea how Stephen Hatcher did this inlay. Did he carve this tree into the wood, fill the carving with the different mineral dusts, and then cover with epoxy?

By the way, this is a wonderful book. It has samples with about every aspect of turning, Inlays, pyrography, dying, carving, burning, texturing, it is all there. There are some very talented people out there.

John Beaver
11-04-2010, 9:23 PM
First of all I agree that "500 Wood Bowls" is an excellent book.

On Stephen Hatchers' website www.stephenhatcher.com there is a tutorial on how he does his inlays. I would think your idea is correct, but you can probably get some extra tips from reading his article. I'm wondering if he carved the tree, filled it with the dark, then carved it again to add the highlights.

I don't know him, but if this forum and my experiences with other woodturners is representative, I would try to email him directly. I am always impressed at how most turners are willing to share their techniques.

Good luck.

Ray Bell
11-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Thank you John, I didn't think about him maybe having a web site. I will look at this, and maybe contact him.

Vince Welch
11-04-2010, 11:37 PM
Hi Ray and Dan,

Do check out his website and call him. I know Stephen...He is a nice guy and please can tell him I said hi.

Vince

Ray Bell
11-05-2010, 2:33 AM
Thank you Vince. I printed out the tutorial on his site, but I still have questions. I will mention you if I get a hold of him. Good to hear he is a nice guy. I really like his work.

Ray Bell
11-08-2010, 8:31 PM
I contacted Stephen by email. You are right Vince, he is a very nice person. He was very helpful. I mentioned that you said to tell him hello. He told me you are the Vince from "Vinces WoodNWonder". I just never made the connection. You are also easy to deal with, and provide a great service.