PDA

View Full Version : Thank you to Rob Cunningham

Baxter Smith
11-04-2010, 2:42 PM
On a recent trip to Maine, I stopped by Robs shop to take a look at his hollowing system. Along with a great visit, he gave me a nice piece of walnut. It would have been number 1 on my next thing to do list if it hadn’t been for some pieces of apple I had been thinking/dreaming about for the last 8 months. With all the big ones (those I was dreaming about) out of the way, I put Robs piece of walnut on the lathe. Got a nice 12 inch roughout.
Then used and my coring system to get two more pieces. Its come in handy!
I am thinking lidded bowl.
Maybe a top of maple or I can sandwich in a piece under the small walnut section. Need to flatten the top a bit if I do that. I’ll have a year to think about it.:(

Thanks again Rob for a great time and good piece of wood!:)

charlie knighton
11-04-2010, 2:57 PM
nice haul, Baxter, can you show us where you keep all these roughouts and wood, woodking elect :D

John Keeton
11-04-2010, 3:50 PM
Baxter, that walnut certainly has some nice color! Creekers are a great bunch!

Seems like flipping the core like you have it would produce a nice replication of the grain and color, but I do think it needs some contrast in there somewhere. I look forward to seeing this one come to life!

Jack Mincey
11-04-2010, 6:16 PM
I think you must like the coring system you got. It is wonderful to get the most out of what nature has giving us. Nice looking rough outs by the way.
Jack

Bernie Weishapl
11-04-2010, 8:06 PM
Baxter the bowls look great. Gotta love walnut.

Steve Schlumpf
11-04-2010, 9:49 PM
Nice Walnut!!! Sure looks like you are having fun with this turning thing!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with - in a year or so!

David E Keller
11-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Great looking roughouts from some pretty wood. I'll just try to be patient for the next twelve months until you get around to finishing them.:D

Baxter Smith
11-04-2010, 11:00 PM
nice haul, Baxter, can you show us where you keep all these roughouts and wood, woodking elect :D
Would take a picture of my various lumber racks but thats probably not the wood you want to see. Or wood that I use.:eek::eek: For the roughouts, try to imagine crumpled up paper bags strewn over the floor, under work tables, in basement stairwells.....I've got to get more organized and I will... as soon as I finish the next roughout. Can't let that green wood start to check. I tell you its a sickness!;)

I think you must like the coring system you got. It is wonderful to get the most out of what nature has giving us. Nice looking rough outs by the way.
Jack
Jack the coring system certainly is nice for those special/one of a kind pieces. Suddenly seeing 5 bowls that need to be sanded is somewhat depressing though!:eek: