Al Navas
11-04-2010, 2:38 PM
And got some maple:

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/maple.jpg

What to make...decisions, decisions... :D

Al

Steve Kohn
11-04-2010, 2:51 PM
With that figure I would make boxes for Christmas presents out of it. Gorgeous piece of wood.

How much were you able to score?

Dan Hintz
11-04-2010, 3:01 PM
Make it an insert to a cardboard box. To really christen it up, slap some postal stamps on there, and if you really want to get crazy, place my address right in the middle. Show a lot of random people what it looks like by throwing it in the mail.

Al Navas
11-04-2010, 3:17 PM
With that figure I would make boxes for Christmas presents out of it. Gorgeous piece of wood.

How much were you able to score?
Steve,

I had enough money with me to get around 70 bd ft. I may go back and get the remaining 100 bd ft or so...:cool:

Make it an insert to a cardboard box. To really christen it up, slap some postal stamps on there, and if you really want to get crazy, place my address right in the middle. Show a lot of random people what it looks like by throwing it in the mail.
Dan,

You naughty you... You almost had me convinced, until I re-read your post :D

Al

Brian Tymchak
11-04-2010, 3:34 PM
That's beautiful. I think I would just frame that with a dark wood, title it "maple in motion" and call it good.

Al Navas
11-04-2010, 3:41 PM
That would be one large frame, to hold all 72 bd ft! :eek:

Al

Anthony Whitesell
11-04-2010, 3:48 PM
That is so cool it doesn't look real. Are you sure that grain's not photoshopped?

Neil Brooks
11-04-2010, 3:56 PM
Wow.

Nice score. Nice gloat.

Almost doesn't matter WHAT you make. It's going to be beautiful !

Hard to think of anything better than a box, though, to showcase that wood !

Peter Aeschliman
11-04-2010, 5:08 PM
That's beautiful. I think I would just frame that with a dark wood, title it "maple in motion" and call it good.

You know what, that's not a bad idea for a piece of simple artwork! ha ha

Jon Grider
11-04-2010, 5:31 PM
Think about it carefully and wait until that special project comes along that will honor that beautiful maple, you'll know the project when you see it.

Dan Hintz
11-04-2010, 7:16 PM
It looks like a glossy photograph of a crumpled brown paper bag... the chatoyance on it must be sweeeeet.

John Messinger
11-05-2010, 2:14 AM
beautiful stuff! :)

Van Huskey
11-05-2010, 2:55 AM
That is gorgeous. In my shop it would have "veneer" written all over it. I would want to sue that for a LOT of stuff!

Thomas love
11-05-2010, 6:08 AM
looks like an overhead view of a mountain range, Nice score.

Dan Blackshear
11-05-2010, 8:47 AM
Sitting at the computer having my morning coffee, the LOML hears me say "Wow that is GORGEOUS!" and comes over to see what I am talking about.

I show her the pic in the first post and she just rolls her eyes and walks away.

I'm sure she would much rather me be ogling wood than women, but I think she questions my sanity sometimes :o

Rick Huelsbeck
11-05-2010, 9:24 AM
Last one got wet when I started drooling, that is some really pretty wood.

Chris Padilla
11-05-2010, 11:17 AM
It's all wrinkled...send it to me and I'll iron it for you.

Matt Day
11-05-2010, 12:55 PM
WOW! Is the first thing that came out of my mouth. You got 70 bdft of that stuff? What size boards are they? I would imagine those would sell for like $15-20/bdft if I was lucky enough to find some.

Mike Zilis
11-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Al,

I saw that pic on your blog earlier today. I'm a big fan of maple in general and quilted maple in particular. You have a breathtaking piece there for sure and if the other 71 board feet are just like it, you've got nothing short of a treasure. I'd be very tempted to go back for the remaining 100 BF. Life's too short to build with plain wood! :-)

Mike

Al Navas
11-06-2010, 8:40 AM
Mike, Thanks for reading the blog! It is my main form of communication with the woodworking community.

Thank you all - I am glad you like this wood. It is now sitting in the shop, acclimating. At 8/4 it will be a while before I start the very special project it is destined to become.

Please note: I cannot afford to replace your keyboards damaged by drooling; also, I am glad at least one person ogles wood rather than women; and PhotoShop was not used on the image of this board :) :D ;)

I am sorry to just now be replying to your wonderful comments. Time in the shop, plus time with our granddaughters at the movies on Friday, and dinner out, and the day was gone in a hurry.