PDA

View Full Version : HF #3 Prelim

Jim Burr
11-04-2010, 1:20 PM
The picture is poor...of course...but this is what I had in mind for #3. The shadow make the bottom look big, but tape is included for reference. Going for the Greek urn style...I think:o
Any changes to suggest before I commit? Really want to get this one right

Tim Rinehart
11-04-2010, 1:32 PM
It should be nice once the neck is brought in a bit, but I like overall proportions so far.
One note of caution, is to try and keep a bit more meat at the bottom until you've finished hollowing out most of the form. I have snapped these off at the tenon by getting a little aggressive with hollowing.
You can always come back and finish off that lower 25% or so before you do the final thickness at the base area. FWIW.
The other option is to use a steady rest if your minimum diameter at the bottom is light compared to the overall length.

Bernie Weishapl
11-04-2010, 8:10 PM
I agree with Tim. Jim when I hollowing I go down about a 1" to 1 1/2" at a time and never go back to the top. So you want to finish your top to what you want before you go more than half way. I use a steady rest when hollowing which cuts down on movement and chatter.

charlie knighton
11-04-2010, 8:49 PM
i am with Bernie, need a collar or something around the rim and it should be done before going to deep with the hollowing

Steve Schlumpf
11-04-2010, 9:42 PM
Jim - in all honesty - this is #3 for you and you should be more concerned about wall thickness and basic form and not so much about - 'Getting it right' Don't put any more stress on yourself than you have to - you are just learning how to hollow and have to wait at least a month before achieving perfection!

What I am saying is have fun! Don't be to concerned about anything other than how to use the tools to get the job done.

Looking forward to seeing #3 completed!

David E Keller
11-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Pretty wood and a nice looking form. I agree with the suggestion to roll in the neck area and consider a collar, but that's just a matter of preference. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Baxter Smith
11-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Looks close enough for me on #3. If you don't put a hole through it you did it right! At least thats what I tell myself. Of course I don't have one of those high tech laser gizmo's.:)