PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen sink cabinet

Rick Prosser
11-04-2010, 10:03 AM
I am building my first kitchen cabinet (3/4 ply). I built the (pocket screw) carcass with 23 1/4 inch sides and will install a face frame. I purchased a standard (25") counter top and sink from BORG, and it seems that if I set the sink as far back as possible, the front edge underneath will be almost to the 23 1/4 edge of the carcass - so there is no room for a front support to go across the (~33") span where the doors will be located.

Is this normal? :confused:

There is a back on the carcass, but it is painted a light color.

The face frame will be there, but I was planning on the carcass having a front support. My first attempt at a cabinet, and the sink really makes it more complicated...:o

Sam Layton
11-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Hi Rick,

Your face frame will give the sink plenty of support. Also, the sink gains support on the ends as it rests on the side panels. I just finished my Kitchen sink cabinet. I doubled my top rail to add to the support. I used a 2" top rail, doubled, they 5" down is another 1 3/4" rail with a stile in the middle. I install my second support top rail after the cabinet is built.

Sam

Paul Murphy
11-04-2010, 11:29 AM
One other option is to "bump out" an area in front of the sink. It worked well in my situation, and I would do it that way again in the future.

The boards that form the transition on either side of the sink can have nice paralell grooves, or some other design feature of your choosing.

I have attached a drawing where the viewer is looking down from above the countertop, so hopefully that uploads properly. The "bump-out" makes the cabinet exactly 3" deeper for the sink.