PDA

View Full Version : wipe on poly

Dahl Troy Perry
11-04-2010, 9:44 AM
I have put wipe on poly on a bottle stopper 4 coats how long should I let it cure before I can buff?

Bernie Weishapl
11-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Dahl I always wait a couple of weeks before I buff with any finish. I don't know if right or wrong but have never had any problems. Some finish and buff the next day but I have never had any luck doing this. Could be my process.

Steve Schlumpf
11-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Dahl - I usually wait at least a week before buffing anything. The time it takes for your finish to cure really depends a lot on the relative humidity and temperature in your area. A simple rule of thumb that I use - especially in the winter months - is that if I can still smell the finish - it hasn't fully cured and I give it a couple more days. HTH.

Norm Zax
11-04-2010, 10:33 AM
A painful topic - Many of you enjoy the product and yet I cant seem to find a company online that will agree to send me a can of Minwax Poly Wipeon Satin (hint hint) overseas...
Dahl - any coating is best left a week or even two to reach full hardness. Though 99% of volatiles (water or diluent) escape within a few hours, remanents keep the film just a touch soft for 10 days or more. All a matter of patience eventually...

Prashun Patel
11-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Norm-
Can you buy full-strength poly where you are?
If yes, then make yr own as a 50/50 blend with mineral spirits.
It's cheaper and how I do it.

The cure time varies by finish. Shellac and lacquer can be buffed the next day. Varnishes tend to take longer. The more gloss you're after, the longer you should wait. A good rule of thumb is when the finish stops smelling, it's about ready.