PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 390K troubles

Mike Wilkins
11-04-2010, 9:28 AM
I have a PC 390K sander that is around 12 months old with very little use that is raising my blood pressure. I am visiting a service center next week, but I was wondering if anyone else with this machine has had similar problems.
Flip the on/off button-nothing. Faint hum from the unit but no random orbit.
This is the latest PC R/A sander with the low profile that stops when lifted from the wood.
Now for a chill pill.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-04-2010, 9:55 AM
Just out of curiosity...have you tried blowing it out with air?

When you lift it off wood, is it supposed to shut off the motor or does the orbital action just stop and the motor continue to run?

Doug Keller
11-06-2010, 11:51 PM
My 390K started acting up a month after I got it, it started to cut out while using it, it acted like I hit the switch off and back on quickly then after about a week it died. Turned it on, nothing. I brought it to the local PC service center, took 3 weeks for them to fix it under warranty, I have only had it back for about a week.

The newer PC products seem to be built a lot cheaper than older PC products.

Will Overton
11-07-2010, 7:52 AM
One year and keeping my fingers crossed. Are you guys with problems using dust collection when using the sander? I always use it hooked up to a CT-22.

Mike Wilkins
11-09-2010, 8:22 AM
Been away for a few days. I purchased the 390K back in March of this year and I expected more from PC. I have had a 333 sander for about 20 years, and with the exception of replacing the pad a couple of times, not a single problem. I finally took the machine to an authorized service center with the sales receipt, so it will be repaired under warranty.
Word of advice for purchasers of new tools: always keep the sales receipt. It may come in handy for just such a purpose.

Mikail Khan
11-09-2010, 8:27 AM
I bought mine in June 2009. No problems so far.

MK