PDA

View Full Version : Could woodworking explain the decline of the US and Western Civilization?

Stephen Tashiro
11-04-2010, 8:23 AM
Think of the large number of homes with table saws, band saws etc. sitting idle most of the day. Vast resources are devoted to the inefficient hoarding of machinery which never is employed to its full capacity. (And never mind the fact that much of it is purchased from foreign countries.) And what does this accomplish? Make a walnut table for the granddaughter? It will be a hundred times better than a cheap table from Walmart, but will she ever dare use such a precious object? -better sit it over in the corner and put a vase of flowers on it.

The inefficient distribution of machinery also has a "multiplier effect". Where there are machines there must be accommodations for machines - luxurious accommodations like heated shops, dust collection systems, storage cabinets. Who are these people who complain about the death of the US manufacturing industry? It didn't die. It moved into your garage.

The country has a hundred million more table saws than are needed to make any reasonable output of products and I hate to think of how many more screwdrivers. This is pure decadence. However, things are easier on the downslope and I certainly enjoy being part of it.

Rod Sheridan
11-04-2010, 9:23 AM
LOL...............Sort of.

We do, in North America consume an enormous amount of the resources of this world.

Some of it used once, and is a real environmental and resource issue. (Fossil fuel for example).

Others are used many times ( selling your old table saw, or making a piece of furniture that lasts for generations).

You're correct however in that we need to become more aware of our consumption, and try to reduce our consumption of finite resources.

Regards, Rod.

Gene Howe
11-04-2010, 9:36 AM
Think of the large number of homes with table saws, band saws etc. sitting idle most of the day. Vast resources are devoted to the inefficient hoarding of machinery which never is employed to its full capacity. (And never mind the fact that much of it is purchased from foreign countries.) And what does this accomplish? Make a walnut table for the granddaughter? It will be a hundred times better than a cheap table from Walmart, but will she ever dare use such a precious object? -better sit it over in the corner and put a vase of flowers on it.

The inefficient distribution of machinery also has a "multiplier effect". Where there are machines there must be accommodations for machines - luxurious accommodations like heated shops, dust collection systems, storage cabinets. Who are these people who complain about the death of the US manufacturing industry? It didn't die. It moved into your garage.

The country has a hundred million more table saws than are needed to make any reasonable output of products and I hate to think of how many more screwdrivers. This is pure decadence. However, things are easier on the downslope and I certainly enjoy being part of it.

So true! I'm going to lobby for a law restricting tool purchases, including screw drivers, to 1 unit per 10000 people, based on the last census. We'll start with a national lottery to determine which of the 10000 gets the opportunity to buy a common screw driver. Then, which can buy the first phillips. By the time we get to planers, the populous will be using solid holographic images for furniture, and there will be no need for wood working tools. Trees will take over the planet once again, and tool manufacturers will be long gone. The air will be cleaner in China, and GM will be out of debt.

Eric DeSilva
11-04-2010, 9:38 AM
Where there are machines there must be accommodations for machines - luxurious accommodations like heated shops, dust collection systems, storage cabinets. ... This is pure decadence.

Well, if Stephen has inspired anyone to more spartan living, I'm happy to relieve any tools you may have of their luxurious accommodations. PM me and I'll arrange for pick up. :rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
11-04-2010, 9:51 AM
Forget it! I refuse to feel guilty about my tool purchase and yes..I won't feel guilty about the large omelet, toast and hash browns I will have at my local greasy spoon soon. I'm supporting my local economy.

Rod Sheridan
11-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Forget it! I refuse to feel guilty about my tool purchase and yes..I won't feel guilty about the large omelet, toast and hash browns I will have at my local greasy spoon soon. I'm supporting my local economy.

Good for you Ken.

I supported it last night by picking up a set of Narex mortise chisels from Lee Valley on my way home from work. I'm doing my bit for the economy as well........Rod.

Rod Sheridan
11-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Gene, I was with you until you went Philips, up here it would have to Robertson.

Oh No! I just doubled the screw driver purchases:D............Rod.

Brian Kent
11-04-2010, 1:20 PM
We are recipients of the past popularity of Stanley planes and old Delta bandsaws. In order to lay an infrastructure for the future of efficient building and repair of furniture and homes…

Buy high quality tools now!

Buy everything Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley make.

Make tools to last 100+ years.

Since we are leaving our debts to our grandchildren, why not do something good and leave them the coolest woodworking tools in history!

Callan Campbell
11-04-2010, 3:48 PM
:d:d:d:d:d:d