PDA

View Full Version : Plywood back reduce quality?

Brian Penning
11-04-2010, 7:19 AM
By this I mean by using a veneered ply back(same wood) on a cabinet does it reduce the impression of quality in a piece? (Cheapen?)
Say in comparison to a ship-lapped or frame and panel back for example, or anything that would make the piece one of pure solid wood.
The back will never be seen or noticed.

Lex Boegen
11-04-2010, 7:38 AM
If the back will never be seen or noticed, I would go with at least 1/2-inch ply and glue it into a groove in the sides of the cabinet. That will add a lot of strength to the case. I prefer to go with ply even if the back is seen, and cover it with a nice veneer for appearance.

Frank Drew
11-04-2010, 8:48 AM
For built-ins like bookcases, etc., I'd use ply; for what I'd consider essentially hand-made, free-standing furniture where the back is quite visible, like a china cabinet, or bookcase or wardrobe with glass doors above, I'd go with some form of a solid back, but I'm not sure how many customers would really notice or appreciate the difference. For a dresser, I might lean towards ply, but it would probably depend on the job (and budget).

Ply is certainly quicker and easier, and, arguably, better in a structural sense.

Rod Sheridan
11-04-2010, 8:52 AM
Same as Frank, the back of a bookcase against the wall, plywood.

The back of the china cabinet where it's visible through the glass doors, ship lap or T&G in matching solid wood.

Many antiques of high value have hand made plywood in them, for all the right reasons (stability).

regards, Rod.

Troy Turner
11-04-2010, 9:03 AM
If it does, then some of my projects are cheap...I did give it consideration when I built them, but then realized it's not a period piece of furniture, it's not going to be an heirloom, it's too big to be gluing up that many panels, and I need stability.

I have some and have seen some antique furniture that has plywood backing so I tell myself that it was ok :)

And, I think most folks still consider it solid funiture, even though some of it's ply. Beats the heck outta the screw together so it'll come apart in 2 yrs furniture, that's for sure!!!

Jim Rimmer
11-04-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm one of those guys that believes if the old time ww'ers had been able to get plywood, they would have used it. Quality ply, well fitted and finished does not make the project "cheap", IMHO. I agree with the other cmments about when it shows from the front.

John Gregory
11-04-2010, 11:23 AM
I agree with Jim. 100+ years ago, woodworking was not a hobby, it was a vocation. And if those woodworkers had access to plywood and power tools, I am sure they would have utilize them.

I'm one of those guys that believes if the old time ww'ers had been able to get plywood, they would have used it. Quality ply, well fitted and finished does not make the project "cheap", IMHO. I agree with the other cmments about when it shows from the front.

David Hostetler
11-04-2010, 12:04 PM
I agree with Jim. 100+ years ago, woodworking was not a hobby, it was a vocation. And if those woodworkers had access to plywood and power tools, I am sure they would have utilize them.

Agreed to a certain extent. There is plywood, and then there is plywood... Simply put, there are many grades of ply, and different species etc... Use of cheap ply that is a poor grade, just like use of cheap lumber that is a poor grade, will impact the overall piece negatively. Conversely use of high quality, well finished ply with good grain on the faces, will reflect in the overall quality of the piece. And yes, there are advantages to using ply for structural stability. It's well worth using, just don't cheap out...

Now I quoted the specific post I did for a reason... I have been going through my family history with my Dad a LOT over the last few years, and I come from a long line of woodworkers. Now for my father, my grandfather, great grandfather, on down through the generations, we have all been woodworkers, but not professional woodworkers (although a few did make money woodworking, it wasn't their primary line of business). Mostly we built things, and furniture that simply put, needed to be built. Things needed for the home, or the church. Toys for the kids and grandkids, a new baby on the way? Build a crib. That baby ready for a real bed? Build it. Need a coffee table? There's a tree, get busy... Neighbor needs help with (barn, home, outhouse, table, chairs whatever...) we were there. I don't know if my family line is common or not. I suspect though, that this was, and to a certain extent still is common in small town / rural life. And to a lesser extent even in the suburbs, and urban life. I know I have made stuff for my neighbors, as they have for me... Who knows? Maybe I am lucky...

glenn bradley
11-04-2010, 2:14 PM
As David says; there is plywood and then there are quality veneers over a substrate which may be ply. I use ply for "kitchen cabinet" type stuff and shop cabinets. I have used thick veneer over ply to achieve an uninterrupted look I was after where hardwood stock that thin may have become unstable (or at least my confidence in that construction was unstable). I don't know that it lessens the actual quality and in some cases probably improves things structurally. Now, perceived quality is a whole other discussion ;-)

Frank Drew
11-05-2010, 6:39 PM
One of the problems with modern hardwood plywoods is the thinness of the face veneers.

On the other hand, doing your own veneering -- making your own ply, in a sense -- is anything but a cheap, low quality technique.