PDA

View Full Version : Steady Rest Fabrication

James Combs
11-04-2010, 12:04 AM
for admin mostly. I have finished documenting the process I used to fabricate my new steady rest. It is currently in the form of a MSWord document at 851KB or a PDF file at 1,041KB. What do I need to do to make it accessible to everyone.:)

I noted that MSWord and PDF uploads are limited to 107KB and 156KB respectively. I read about creating an HTML file and zipping it but the resulting file messes up some of my formatting and pictures.:(

I will be putting a copy of it on my own site but I believe linking to it is prohibited. So what is the best way to get it install here on the creek.:confused:

Keith Outten
11-04-2010, 7:02 AM
James,

You can zip the pdf file and attach it to a post here. Zip files can be 2 meg.

We are now running on our new server, the next step that Aaron has planned is to install the vBulletin 4 upgrade which has new features for publishing articles. I don't know what Aaron's time line is for the upgrade but I expect he will try to get it done within the next couple of weeks. When the publishing suite is made available we will be inviting everyone to share their articles, this should be a very nice feature here, along with the ability to post direct links to video files.

John Keeton
11-04-2010, 7:03 AM
Most all of the tutorials are posted in a series of posts within the thread.

When I have done those, I build the text in a Word file, with markers for my pics as to which goes where. Remember, only five pics should be posted in each individual post. Doing this arrangement before posting lets you divide the tutorial into segments that both make sense, and have no more than five pics.

Then, as I do the individual posts, I simply cut and paste the text, upload the pics for that individual post, arrange the pics in the text, and post. Sometimes, a viewer will see the first post and post in between yours - but, that really isn't a problem.

Just saw Keith's post on the zipped .pdf - I have not tried that.

Dan Hintz
11-04-2010, 7:16 AM
James,

I'm waiting to find out what the new publishing capabilities will be... I have a series of tutorials I'd like to make and post, but the blog system currently in place just doesn't cut the mustard.

James Combs
11-04-2010, 8:28 AM
Here is the PDF file zipped.

James Combs
11-04-2010, 8:37 AM
Most all of the tutorials are posted in a series of posts within the thread.

When I have done those, I build the text in a Word file, with markers for my pics as to which goes where. Remember, only five pics should be posted in each individual post. Doing this arrangement before posting lets you divide the tutorial into segments that both make sense, and have no more than five pics.

Then, as I do the individual posts, I simply cut and paste the text, upload the pics for that individual post, arrange the pics in the text, and post. Sometimes, a viewer will see the first post and post in between yours - but, that really isn't a problem.

Just saw Keith's post on the zipped .pdf - I have not tried that.

I created it in a MSWord document and was going to post it as you describe but I would like to keep it all together in one file if possible. Lets see how the zipped PDF works out.

Baxter Smith
11-04-2010, 8:49 AM
Great job. I like the way you cut the angle on the end of the arm holding brackets and attached them. Should be very useful to many!

ray hampton
11-04-2010, 2:34 PM
how do I unzip this file ?

Dan Hintz
11-04-2010, 3:03 PM
Google ZIP compression.. plenty of free (de)compressors out there. 7-Zip comes to mind as my latest fave.

John Keeton
11-04-2010, 3:54 PM
Google ZIP compression.. plenty of free (de)compressors out there. 7-Zip comes to mind as my latest fave.Just downloaded 7-Zip at the office earlier to view this file. Apparently, WinZip is no longer a freebie.

Greg Ketell
11-04-2010, 4:07 PM
Wow, nice set of instructions, James. Thank you very much!!

Josh Bowman
11-04-2010, 4:58 PM
Great job James, thanks

Steve Schlumpf
11-04-2010, 5:31 PM
James - after going through your tutorial - I totally understand why you didn't want to break things up! Would have been very confusing trying to follow dimensioning across several posts!

Very nice work on the steady rest! Exceptionally nice work on your tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

Speaking of sharing - I would like your permission to attach this to my next turning club newsletter. I am sure some member would love to make their own!

Terry Murphy
11-04-2010, 5:47 PM
Worked really good!
I have saved it for later when I get a better lathe.
Thank you
Terry

James Combs
11-04-2010, 8:22 PM
Steve you can use it for what ever you want.:) I would like to see it put in the "Woodworking Articles and Reviews (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)". How does that happen?

James - after going through your tutorial - I totally understand why you didn't want to break things up! Would have been very confusing trying to follow dimensioning across several posts!

Very nice work on the steady rest! Exceptionally nice work on your tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

Speaking of sharing - I would like your permission to attach this to my next turning club newsletter. I am sure some member would love to make their own!

Steve Schlumpf
11-04-2010, 9:46 PM
James - thanks for the permission - I will attach it to my newsletter.

No problem placing a copy of this thread into the Articles Forum - but usually I wait until the majority of comments have been posted. If for some reason the thread does not get added - contact me or any mod and it will be taken care of!

mickey cassiba
11-05-2010, 9:01 AM
I'm not seeing the zip file. Is there a setting I'm overlooking?
Mick

Ian Parish
11-05-2010, 12:21 PM
That is a great write up. Thanks for the detail. I will be building some of these sooner or later. This will help me with some of the details and mistakes I could make.

Thanks,
Ian

Keith Outten
11-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Admin Opps!!!

I inadvertently deleted the PDF file this morning when i was moving the thread. I sent a PM to James appologising for my mistake and asked him to upload the PDF once again.

Greg Bender
11-05-2010, 8:33 PM
Would love to see the tutorial but for the life of me I cannot seem to get to it.I just keep going in circles.I end up at Steve's last post.Am I missing a link cause I see the post from Keith apologising to him for inadvertantly deleting it.
Greg

James Combs
11-05-2010, 10:00 PM
The attached file details how I fabricated my version of a Jeff Nicol style steady rest.

Please move it to it to the "Woodworking Articles and Reviews" forum

Keith Outten informed me that the file was lost from the original post during the move process.

Thanks for loosing it Keith;). I wanted to edit the title anyway.:D

Now if you could attache all the comments from the previous post to this one...:rolleyes:

Jim Sebring
11-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Thanks for all the great engineering details. Now I know what to look for the next trip to the steel supplier in town. I'll get mine done this winter, I hope. A good friend is a welder and turner, so I'll have to bend his arm to do the torch work!

mickey cassiba
11-06-2010, 8:57 AM
Very nice James. The process is very well layed out and explained. Thanks for posting.
Mick

Greg Bender
11-06-2010, 11:15 AM
James,
Thanx, That was alot easier to find.I just finished my elbo style hollowing system and while the welder is out....I was wondering what the easiest way to get my hands on some Jet -white paint to keep everything looking proper.
Greg

Greg Bender
11-06-2010, 11:31 AM
James,
I made my previous post before I looked at it.Now that I have seen it I have to say Thanx ,that is the most complete and detailed tutorial I have seen on the site yet.Not to take away from all the others but you left nothing to chance.To quote Geico " it's so easy a caveman could do it".I get fab prints in work from designers that are not that good.Have a great day.
Greg

ps: My printer still has not caught it's breath!