PDA

View Full Version : First Spalted HF

Clint Baxter
11-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Here is my first try at hollowing on the new lathe. Spalted Maple.

Also figured I throw in some images of my practice with the skew. Was trying any of the woods that I had big enough to turn an egg from. Sad thing is that I think the best looking egg I did was also the first one I did.
Eggs are of spalted maple, maple, purpleheart, bubinga, goncalo alves and walnut.

The HF was limited by the size of the block but would appreciate any critiques/comments.

Apologize the pictures are not better.

Clint

David E Keller
11-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Nice job on the HF and the eggs... I'm told different birds have different shaped eggs(I think Hart told me that, so it may be a fabrication). So rather than admitting defeat on any given egg, it's just a matter of identifying the bird's backside that it might have come out of.:D

I'd love to see a profile pic of the HF... That's about the only way I am able to assess the overall form if you're looking for some feedback on shape. With that said, I think it looks great.

Bernie Weishapl
11-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Really nice HF. The eggs look pretty good.

Jim Burr
11-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Those are eggs are really nice...and the bowl their in as well!

John Keeton
11-04-2010, 7:07 AM
Clint, I agree with David on a side profile - from the angle you have, the piece looks well done so far as technique. Nice wood!

Great job on the eggs, and a very nice variety of species - both wood and bird!!

Clint Baxter
11-04-2010, 8:00 AM
Here are some attempts from the side.

Clint

David E Keller
11-04-2010, 8:37 AM
Thanks for the extra pics... I think it looks great. Nice little matching pendant as well.

John Keeton
11-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Clint, I prefer the pendent prop to the pencil!!!:D Nice work. I don't care much for a descending curve into the opening, but that is just my personal taste. You have done a very nice job with this one.

Josh Bowman
11-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Clint, great job. Nice curve at the bottom. What's next?