PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 1216

Eric Franklin
11-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Is the Rikon 1216 (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2081563/31161/Rikon-1216-12HP-VS-Mini-Lathe.aspx) a good lathe for someone wanting to get into turning? I'm planning on starting with pens and small bowls. I'm asking because Woodcraft has it on a black friday special for $279.99 which seems like a good deal.

Gary Max
11-03-2010, 10:37 PM
For the money you will not find a better lathe----in my opinion

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
11-03-2010, 10:50 PM
I'd have to agree with Gary. Before I "upgraded" to the slightly larger Delta Midi VS 1 hp I owned the non-VS version of the Rikon you are interested in. It was a very solid, workable little machine.

And . . . if it's $279, that's a STEAL!!!

David E Keller
11-03-2010, 11:17 PM
I've got a small Rikon(non -VS) that I still use from time to time. I've done nothing but abuse it, and it runs like a champ. The price seems really good to me, too. IMO, you can't beat it for that price.

Bernie Weishapl
11-04-2010, 12:00 AM
I have the non-VS and it has been a workhorse for me. I kept it when I upgrade for doing small projects such as pens, ornaments, etc. It has been a great lathe.

Neil Strong
11-04-2010, 5:57 AM
Woodfast by any other name smells as sweet!

Kyle Iwamoto
11-04-2010, 12:01 PM
I agree with all of the above. I have a Jet mini, and the Rikon is a tad bigger, and much cheaper. I did buy my Jet when it was $219 long ago. It's got a lot going for it, especially at that price. I've turned on it and it is a great lathe for that kind of money. It does run mch hotter than my Jet though. I can run my Jet all day, and it doesn't get as hot as the Rikon does. If it were available when I bought my Jet, I would have gotten that instead...

Eric Franklin
11-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Thank you for the information. I'm going to plan on buying it. Now I need to find lathe tools and money so I can actually use the lathe.

Greg Ketell
11-04-2010, 1:04 PM
Woodcraft has the Nova G3 with 4 sets of jaws on sale right now. I think it was 50% off, or something like that.

Tim Rinehart
11-04-2010, 1:08 PM
Woodcraft has the Nova G3 with 4 sets of jaws on sale right now. I think it was 50% off, or something like that.
As Greg said, the deal on the G3, along with the lathe is a super deal to put together. Can't go wrong with price of the Rikon down to $279. Definitely snatch up the Nova chuck while you're at it!!!

Eric Franklin
11-04-2010, 1:29 PM
As Greg said, the deal on the G3, along with the lathe is a super deal to put together. Can't go wrong with price of the Rikon down to $279. Definitely snatch up the Nova chuck while you're at it!!!

I will just have to convince the wife to spend the extra money. What is the benefit of upgrading to the Nova 3G?

Greg Ketell
11-04-2010, 4:18 PM
The midi-chuck uses two bars moving in opposite directions to tighten/loosen the chuck. So you have to hold your bowl up in place with one hand and then insert/tighten two bars with one hand. ummmmmm

The G3 uses a chuck key like a drill chuck. Much easier to handle single-handedly.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-04-2010, 4:36 PM
I have a G3, and that is also a great deal, especially with the extra jaws. I also have a midi chuck,and it's okay, but as mentioned, the single key chuck operation is much better.

Check Harbor Freight for starter tools. They have 2 great starter chisel sets. 50 bucks or so. The natural set and a painted set. The painted set is "better" but I got the natural set. Cheaper if you can find e-coupons. Don't get the really cheapo set ($20), I don't think it's High Speed Steel.

Eric Franklin
11-04-2010, 8:11 PM
I just ordered the G3. Hoping I don't have a problem getting the lathe the day after Thanksgiving. I'm planning one of the Harbor Freight chisel settings first part of December.

Is the Worksharp WS3000 any good at sharpening lathe chisels?

Greg Ketell
11-04-2010, 8:20 PM
If you already have the WS3000 then it can be made to sharpen your tools. But don't buy it thinking it will be good. Your better bet is a slow-speed grinder (1750 or less), a good grinding wheel, and a wolverine sharpening jig (or equivalent). OR, a belt/disk sander that you can rig up the same sort of jigs.

Eric Franklin
11-04-2010, 9:41 PM
I already have a WS3000. I figured I would eventually need to get a slow speed grinder for sharpening.

Greg Ketell
11-04-2010, 9:46 PM
supposedly you can use some of the slotted platters to sharpen the smaller gouges from below. Kinda fun to watch the bevel get polished. But for the bigger tools I don't thing the under-sharpener will work as well. You will just have to hold the tool above and manually match the grind.