PDA

View Full Version : Working with matboard

Mike vonBuelow
11-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Well I remembered seeing a thread on matboard, so I picked up a few pieces to play with. Here's the results of tonight's action:

1) Speed/power testing
2) A little thing I made for my wife, using said power settings, since we're trying to find a job in California

Looks like some interesting possibilities for sale$ if you were to put a photo cutout in the upper right.

And yes, I forgot the tabs to hold the R and O inplace

Terry Swift
11-04-2010, 12:37 AM
Mike,

You using just plain matboard like you can get at Hobby Lobby / Michaels. What kind of designs are you using, as that may be another area to try and test the market here in DFW.

Spent 20 years in the A.F. and haven't looked back since retirement day. Uncle Sugar promises and then takes away. My only real connection is getting half my retirement pay while my ex gets the other half.

Lee DeRaud
11-04-2010, 2:29 AM
And yes, I forgot the tabs to hold the R and O inplace(scratches head) That looks like rastered text on a single layer of matboard...why would you need tabs?

Mike vonBuelow
11-04-2010, 6:43 AM
Lee,
Forgot to specify... tabs are for the California piece....to keep the center portions of the P, R's, and O R inplace - no biggie

Terry,
Yes, Hobbly Lobby plain 'ol mat - with their 40% coupon, of course. I was just using some clipart

Dan Hintz
11-04-2010, 7:07 AM
I think Lee's point was there should be no need for tabs... the center portions should remain attached to the white core. I'm not sure why they fell off, either.

Mike vonBuelow
11-04-2010, 8:20 AM
Ok, but I was actually referring to the "PRIORITY 1" text for the picture...

** and a caveat needs to be made - I'm not using a cutting grid, yet - I supported the mat on a modified wood support, so when the laser cut the outer line, the letters dropped down.

But, as I was saying, since this mat will not be placed on top of anything, cutting the P R's and O drops out the center parts if tabs are not used.

Now if I had something underneath it, then yes, I would not need the tabs since they would be supported by the bottom layer, but I'd need the grid first so that the mat will stay in place (vs. dropping out)

Mike vonBuelow
11-04-2010, 8:22 AM
I was just happy to get something made that looks marketable

Dan Hintz
11-04-2010, 8:59 AM
Ah, I see the disconnect... the "Priority 1" text is actually vectored (cut completely through). Having it up against the white wall made it appear you had simply rastered down to the white core of the board, not completely through.

Mike vonBuelow
11-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Right :) Sorry if I didn't explain properly

The surfer outline is the "white-est" I could get (which is the actual color of core) - which is my 100S/62P setting

The white is my front door color showing through.

Michael Kowalczyk
11-04-2010, 7:17 PM
Thanks for sharing but why don't you have a grid yet?? Ask Mike Null I think he sold his Grid biz to someone else here but I use them on my 29x17 bed on my Trotec or look at Keith's corian grid and the one that Belinda modified and took it to another level.

try this link http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=140900

Dee Gallo
11-04-2010, 7:47 PM
Mike,

If you intend to make photo frames, remember two things:
1. Most photos come in standard sizes, so size your holes correctly. A 5" x 7" photo needs a hole the is 4.5" x 6.5" for example (so it doesn't fall out)
2. Most mats are placed into frames which also come in standard sizes but more importantly, the frame will overlap the mat (so it doesn't fall out) by about 1/4" all around. The way you designed your sample part of the clipart will be covered, which is fine if you planned it that way.

Making holes in the shape of letters is a nice way to expose a portion of a photo, say a landscape, for a combination of photos in one mat.

I love using matboard, it is great stuff! I use it for my business cards with a cutout and people seem to like them.. they always do a double take when they touch them and comment on how nice they are. I also get drops from a local frame shop for free, which is a bonus! The board with a surface texture works best in my opinion.

BTW- your sample board will come in handy, don't lose it!
cheers, dee

Mike vonBuelow
11-05-2010, 6:40 AM
Grid is next on my list of "to buys" :D

Shawn Conklin
11-06-2010, 7:01 PM
Have you been able to completely get a white vector cut at all? Or raster for that matter?

I have tried both regular and cotton base and can't. I expected as much but wanted to check. It almost looks like with 100s 62p mike got whiter then I am able to with a raster. It could just be the contrast in the photo though. When you compare the white at the back of the board to the white you expose in raster are they identical or just close?

I would def recommend getting some color core matte board. The colors add even more to the look. I have black with red core and red with black core that scream valentines day schwag.

Mike vonBuelow
11-07-2010, 5:59 AM
100/62 is the best setting for revealing the inner color (in this case a manilla variant), although there is minute specks of blue upon close observation.

The white showing through "PRIORITY 1" is my door

I'm very interested to try the dual color!