PDA

View Full Version : Making raised panel doors

Matt Zuko
11-03-2010, 9:46 PM
I am new to this, and have an interest in making raised panel doors (like for kitchen cabinets) that are decorative. I would like the frame edge to round over to the panel, and the panel rounds up (of that makes sense). How do most people make these profiles? Would it be on a router?

I have been experimenting with some router bits, and none seem to make a wide enough profile.

Thanks

Peter Pedisich
11-03-2010, 9:53 PM
like this?
http://www.festoolusa.com/products/routers/router-bits/8mm-shank/rail-and-stile-bits/rail-bit-hw-43mm-491130.html

Frank Drew
11-04-2010, 9:41 AM
Matt,

What do you mean by rounding up the panel?

In any case, a router would be fine for sticking (detailing) the frame parts, but in general raised panel profiles are most easily cut on a shaper.

J.R. Rutter
11-04-2010, 10:04 AM
I don't recall seeing an off the shelf router or shaper cutter set that does a simple roundover on the inside of the frame. Most have a step on the top side above the round portion because it avoids having a thin splintered edge on the coped rail ends.

One cheap and simple way to do the frame would be to miter the corners. Then you could use any profile on the inside, including a roundover. Use a spline or biscuit to reinforce the corners. Cutting the miters on a table saw using a jig produces better joints than most miter saws are capable of.

For the panels, the simple cove cut that you are describing is probably the most common profile. Unless you love sanding and making table saw jigs, the router table or shaper would be the tool to use.

David Thompson 27577
11-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Look around some on the web -- there are lots of router bits available from lots of places. Rockler, Woodcraft, Eagle America, Routerbits.com..........

And yes, there are router bits available to cut the raised panel profile. But don't use a small router, don't use a single-speed router, and don't do it without mounting your router in a table. (All of these are serious safety concerns.)

Jim Rimmer
11-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Look around some on the web -- there are lots of router bits available from lots of places. Rockler, Woodcraft, Eagle America, Routerbits.com..........

And yes, there are router bits available to cut the raised panel profile. But don't use a small router, don't use a single-speed router, and don't do it without mounting your router in a table. (All of these are serious safety concerns.)
+1 on both comments. You will need a large router (3+ HP) with variable speed mounted in a table. The panel raising bits are large and need to be slowed way down as compared to the speed of a straight bit or dovetail bit and you definitely don't want to try to hold the router in yourhands with one of those large bits in it.