PDA

View Full Version : PayPal Scams with Craigslist

Jeremy Greiner
11-03-2010, 6:44 PM
This is an informative post about my recent experience with a scammer on paypal as a warning for others.

I posted a laptop on craigslist to sell so I can buy more power tools, I recieved an email about someone interested in buying the item. After talking he wished to do the transaction through paypal and ship it to him. This immediatly throws a red flag as every craigslist email states avoid scams involving shipping etc. So I proceeded with caution.

I expected the scam would be the buyer would try and dispute the item (ie damaged or incorrect) and found that with shipping insurance and having the buyer sign for the item allows for legal recourse.

I told the buyer my paypal email, which I recieved an email immediatly from paypal informing me that the buyer has escrowed the money and I need to click a link and enter in the tracking number of the shipped package to recieve the funds.

The trick is, this email is fake. The link does not go to paypal, but another site designed to look like paypal and have you enter in your paypal login information so they can log in and steal your money.

As an avid world of warcraft player I get about 10 of these type of emails a day (I wish I was kidding) so I generally inspect every email I get with scrutiny.

I called paypal, and forwarded them the fake emails, I still have my laptop and have decided only local sales, even if the person is legit it is just too much hassle.

Just passing on the info.

-jeremy

Steve knight
11-04-2010, 2:07 AM
you let it get that far? as soon as the shipping issue comes up that's it.
it can be a pain to sell things but also to offer services. I put my cnc router service up then I get people acting like they are interested till you email back and get spammed. one fool gave me his email and his address and phone number so I sent all that info off to all the Nigeria scams i had in my spambox at the time.

John Fabre
11-04-2010, 3:00 AM
If i'm selling something using Paypal, I always send them an invoice through PayPal. That way, they don't have my PayPal email address and I never log into PayPal unless it's through eBay.

Dan Hintz
11-04-2010, 6:43 AM
John,

Interesting you should mention that... I never reply to PayPal invoices. The hotlinks are getting harder and harder to determine if they're legitimate, so I log into PayPal directly and enter their email address.

John Fabre
11-04-2010, 10:32 AM
John,

Interesting you should mention that... I never reply to PayPal invoices. The hotlinks are getting harder and harder to determine if they're legitimate, so I log into PayPal directly and enter their email address.

Dan,

Your right, how would you know if it's legitimate, money orders and checks seem to be safer. As long as you give the clearing time for them, it's cheaper. The Paypal fees are really too high anyway, convenient yes, safer no.

Harold Burrell
11-04-2010, 5:18 PM
...the Nigeria scams i had in my spambox at the time.

Are you telling me that I'm not getting that $250,000,000??? :mad:

Karl Card
11-06-2010, 5:36 AM
so ironic. I listed a motorcycle on cl here at home and wow i got 3 offers right off the bat. all 3 of them saying that "consider it sold" my shipper will pick up the item as soon as payment clears. clears where? nigeria, nothern chicago, southern texas, (nothing against these places just for example sake).... I just wished there were enough authorities to actually do something about it.

Dave Wagner
11-06-2010, 5:58 AM
Yup, those are typical red flags..

-Either payment is in ESCROW in Paypal or Ebay (which neither do)
-They want to use an eBay Agent? WTF?
-Consider it Sold, do NOT sell it to anyone else comments
-Will include shipping in the payment (larger items like cars, motorcycles, etc.)
-Overpayment
-Large Qtys of products to order from you and ship overseas
etc...

They are getting really creative anymore. BE CAREFUL, it can happen fast. Don't click on any links sent to you for payment, especially attachments (.PDF, EXE, ZIP, etc..). Some links can even open you computer up for remote control and monitor all your keystrokes and you don;t even know it.!!