PDA

View Full Version : Epilog mini 18 losses power when cutting

mark anizan
11-03-2010, 6:26 PM
I have a mini 18 ,just replaced the power supply.It helped my problem but did not fix it.After about 6-7 minutes when cutting it starts to loose power and will not cut thru.If you pause it for 2-3 minutes it will take off again cutting.It was getting real warm on back by power supply but with new one not as warm and maybe gained 2 minutes before problem comes back.
Anybody got any ideas of what I should check next?
mark

Chuck Stone
11-03-2010, 7:26 PM
.. as long as you're looking for ideas, and not a definitive answer :p

I'd be looking at airflow around the power supply.. bad fan, loose wire,
clogged air filter.. sounds like it may be overheating. If something is blocking
the airflow, it can overheat. I'd check not only the air intake, but the outlet
also. Can't take any air in if it can't get back out..

ok, that's my guess.

Bruce Volden
11-03-2010, 7:43 PM
Also, if you have access to a volt meter go ahead and see what the output of the power supply that feeds the laser tube is. I have 2 different machines and one needs 30 VDC and the other needs 48 VDC. I don't know what machine you have though:(

Bruce

Joe Pelonio
11-03-2010, 8:35 PM
.. as long as you're looking for ideas, and not a definitive answer :p

I'd be looking at airflow around the power supply.. bad fan, loose wire,
clogged air filter.. sounds like it may be overheating. If something is blocking
the airflow, it can overheat. I'd check not only the air intake, but the outlet
also. Can't take any air in if it can't get back out..

ok, that's my guess.
If I remember correctly, the tube on that one is cooled by the exhaust fan air being pulled through it? Have you cleaned the ductwork lately? I do it once a year. Also, is it powerful enough?

mark anizan
11-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the info.I will check the voltage tommorow and the ducts.Its a new power supply from epilog just put it in today the old one was overheating ,but the fan was not working in it .There are 4 fans on top and 1 in the power supply they all work now.It has cut the same type and thicknedd of material several times before with no problems.It works in raster all the time never a problem .
Mark

paul mott
11-04-2010, 3:11 AM
After about 6-7 minutes when cutting it starts to loose power and will not cut thru.
Just a thought, but if you have any defect in your focus lens it can cause this effect.

Paul.

Chuck Stone
11-04-2010, 10:15 AM
It has cut the same type and thicknedd of material several times before with no problems.It works in raster all the time never a problem .

That might also point to heat. Vector is a bit more intense.
Any chance one of the fans is mounted backwards?
Running slow? Running intermittently?
Checking the voltage is a good idea, too. Too high would cause a heat
problem. But if you can check those, might as well check the output for
the 5v, 12v if you can. (or if that unit even uses them? I dunno)

mark anizan
11-05-2010, 3:35 PM
Did all my testing and cleaning,Talked to Epilog again ran some tests they wanted me to do.Looks like laser tube is gotta be replaced.

Michael Simpson Virgina
11-05-2010, 11:20 PM
I am curious how old this laser is?

mark anizan
11-06-2010, 10:17 PM
The tube that is in it was mfg Dec 2006.Its ran alot of jobs, still works ok doing raster jobs it just overheats when vectoring.