PDA

View Full Version : Fudge Ripple - Double Tip!

John Keeton
11-03-2010, 5:28 PM
Curly maple, dyed, with a tinted lacquer finish. Claro walnut collar and finials. 4.75" wide x 5.5" tall, the lid is about 1.5" wide. The upper finial is .09" thick at the neck.

I know that most folks like a smaller collar without the embellishments (ogee, beads, etc.), but I just kinda like 'em a little different!:)

I did try a different technique on this one. I normally turn the finial bases and apply them over the surface of the lid with a stub tenon inserted into a hole in the lid. On this one, I inset Claro plugs on the top and on the bottom, and turned the profiles with beads while on the lid.

While I need to perfect it a little, this technique did allow me to get a much lower profile where the base meets the lid. It also permitted a little sharper detail with a smaller bead. Trying that on a stand alone base would be delicate to say the least - just would be too thin.

As on a previous piece, the lower finial "barely fits!";) The upper finial may be a bit tall for your tastes, but I wanted a visual difference between the two. It seems to work OK - probably not perfect. But, then, ain't none of 'em perfect anyway! Just havin' fun doin' 'em!:D

Your comments and critique are welcome!

Steve Schlumpf
11-03-2010, 5:32 PM
Beautiful work John! Reminds me of the stone called Tigereye! Bet it really grabs the light!

Very nice work on your double finials! Always fun to see what you come up with next!

Thanks for sharing!

Jim Burr
11-03-2010, 5:40 PM
Mr Keeton, I fail to understand why a smaller collar would be preferable. Does it make it better?...is it more professional?...more acceptable by sociable standards?...did Greek pottery experts make smaller collars? I say not sir. I'd be more interested in what dye was used and the process of making it...why you used it, what finish was used...if any finish was applied to the inside. Dare I say that anyone here would be proud to display your efforts in their home. Personally...I think it rocks!!!!

Mike Golka
11-03-2010, 6:32 PM
Another beautiful piece John, keep 'em coming and thanks for sharing

Doug W Swanson
11-03-2010, 6:48 PM
John,
You keep cranking out these works of art. Even though I'm not big on finials, you pulled it off again on this one. The two of them are even similar in proportions.

Nicely done once again!

Richard Madden
11-03-2010, 7:01 PM
[QUOTE=John Keeton;1550043]

I know that most folks like a smaller collar without the embellishments (ogee, beads, etc.), but I just kinda like 'em a little different!:)

And that's all that matters.:)

Bernie Weishapl
11-03-2010, 7:16 PM
Beautiful piece John. Really nice color and finish.

Michael James
11-03-2010, 7:32 PM
John, very nice piece! Im sure the camera doesn't do it justice. Looks like your on another roll....Im over here taking notes - keep em coming!
mj

Mike Peace
11-03-2010, 8:06 PM
Wow! I really like it. The form is excellent, I think the finial proportion is good. I think combining the two woods and the embellishment makes the collar blend well and makes it very formal looking. I would generally like a smaller collar except the combined wood makes yours work, IMHO.

Roger Chandler
11-03-2010, 8:11 PM
You're just showing off again! :D:D;) Seriously, another fine piece. I like the collar, and of the 2 finials, I like the smaller one better, because to my eye it looks a bit more proportional.........but what do I know, I am not the "R-teeeest," here! :D:D;)

U know John, we kid you because we luv ya' and it makes for a lot of smiles, hopefully from you as well as the rest of us!

Great work here........I am interested in the future if you will take further steps on this.[you mentioned perfecting]........would they be more finishing steps? I could envision some additional coloring and gloss and .............you fill in the _________ for us!

gary Zimmel
11-03-2010, 8:18 PM
One more sweet piece to add to the growing collection John.

Baxter Smith
11-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Very nice John. I like everything about it(almost:)). The dye matches the claro but for some reason I don't like it quite as well as your others. Maybe it reminds me too much of a stain that has muddied the wood grain. I'm sure it looks fine in person and someday I hope to see one!

David E Keller
11-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Very cool. I saw this earlier while I was cruising the site on my phone, but I wanted to see real pictures before posting a response. I love the detailing in the collar, and the coloring is perfect for my taste. I actually like the larger upper finial as well... The main form has a lot going on visually with the curl and color, so the larger finial sort of balances things for me. Very nicely done, sir!

Von Bickley
11-03-2010, 11:08 PM
John,
I have a question for you. You have done some beautiful flat work in the past, have you quit doing flat work?

Your round work always looks GREAT, but I haven't seen any flat work in a long time. :)

John Keeton
11-03-2010, 11:30 PM
You guys are too easy to please!! Thanks a bunch for the comments!:)
Reminds me of the stone called Tigereye! Bet it really grabs the light!Steve, maybe a better title is "Eye of the Tiger"?!?!?:rolleyes: And, yes it does have nice chatoyance.

I'd be more interested in what dye was used and the process of making it...why you used it, what finish was used...if any finish was applied to the inside. Dare I say that anyone here would be proud to display your efforts in their home. Personally...I think it rocks!!!!Jim, I used Transtint medium brown, with a touch of black. Then the lacquer was tinted with just the medium brown to warm it up a little. The actual top finish is three coats of WOP.

The inside was sanded to 220, and a couple of coats of clear lacquer. I ended up pulling a few spots of dye through with the vacuum system, and decided to put a wash coat of tinted lacquer on the inside. It absorbed the spots, and left a very nice tinted finish inside.

Even though I'm not big on finials, you pulled it off again on this one. The two of them are even similar in proportions.Doug, laying out the dimensions on the finials is critical. I start with the lower one because I want it to appear as though it won't fit, then I scale the upper one to mimic the proportions, but on a larger scale.

I am interested in the future if you will take further steps on this.[you mentioned perfecting]........would they be more finishing steps? I could envision some additional coloring and gloss and .............you fill in the _________ for us!Roger, I was actually talking about the process of setting in the walnut plugs for the finial bases. I learned a little on this one, and the next ones I do will be a little cleaner, I think. The finish on this one is very high gloss, so can't do much more with it.

Very nice John. I like everything about it(almost:)). The dye matches the claro but for some reason I don't like it quite as well as your others. Maybe it reminds me too much of a stain that has muddied the wood grain. I'm sure it looks fine in person and someday I hope to see one!Baxter, the pics do appear that way, but it actually has a very deep look to it.

John,
I have a question for you. You have done some beautiful flat work in the past, have you quit doing flat work?

Your round work always looks GREAT, but I haven't seen any flat work in a long time. :)Von, I haven't done any furniture since buying this lathe!!!!:eek: I do want to build some more, but this has been very addicting for me.

Ron Bontz
11-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Impressive and imaginative as always. :)

brian watts
11-04-2010, 1:24 AM
mr. keeton very very nice