PDA

View Full Version : arbor size 10inch circular saw blades

Brian Deakin
11-03-2010, 3:46 PM
I live in the United Kingdom and the arbor size on 10 inch table saw blades is 30mm (1.18) in the USA you appear to have arbor size 5/8 inch

My question

Does any know why there is a difference in size between the 2 countries and do you have blades available with a 30mm arbor in the USA

regards Brian

Callan Campbell
11-03-2010, 4:11 PM
Most "standards" in a field are often created by the most popular selling item from a particular manuf. dominating the market. So, if there were once several arbor sizes, and the buyers got miffed that they had to stock several different blade sizes to match their equipment, some bright salesman probably researched this and told their factory to match "what the other guy" was selling if it looked like "not matching" him was going to cost sales.
Suddenly you have a buyers/sellers move towards the same size of something since no one wants to be left out of a sale/purchase because they have an "odd" size item to match on their tool/machine. If you check or research very old woodworking machines made and sold for the US market, you see that arbor sizes here in the US were once not all alike. Someone locked onto the 5/8" size, could have just as easily been 3/4" or 1", and it's been pretty standard for a 10" blade ever since.
Larger blades have a different sized arbor of course, but they too are to that "standard" for the given blade diameter. I'm sure you guys in Europe can trace whom ever started the 30mm arbor, which is interesting that it's so much larger than our 5/8".:eek:
As for "oddball" arbors needed a new blade, the standard practice is to buy the blade you need ,and have a saw service ream or enlarge the existing small broach to fit your machine. This allows users of "no-longer" standard machines to keep theirs in operation without having a new arbor machined to fit their saw[if that's even an option]. It's also a key item that some people wanting to buy old industrial woodworking equipment overlook in their haste to get that 'good deal'. 'Good deals' that get more expensive once you find out you need custom sized saw blades to run the machine since the arbor isn't standard.:p:p:p
I would guess this could apply to owning a European machine for many applications. Festool Kapex blades were unique when they first came out here in the US when compared to a standard Miter Saw Blade, I believe other people are now offering correct broached/arbor sized blades for them without always having to buy from Festool.

Van Huskey
11-03-2010, 4:16 PM
I live in the United Kingdom and the arbor size on 10 inch table saw blades is 30mm (1.18) in the USA you appear to have arbor size 5/8 inch

My question

Does any know why there is a difference in size between the 2 countries and do you have blades available with a 30mm arbor in the USA

regards Brian

I think the obvious answer is since you are physically close to mainland Europe the UK uses what they use which is metric but not 100% sure why the larger arbor size, it MAY have something to do with the brakes that are required on saws but may predate that.

We do have 10" blades with 30mm arbors but are few and far between though it is a simple matter of having them drilled for a 30mm arbor and some manufacturers will supply them that way but there is not nearly the off the shelf solutions avaiable compared to 5/8" arbor blades.

Will Overton
11-03-2010, 5:35 PM
250mm blades [close to 10"] are not uncommon with 30mm hole.

Is it possible the saw is designed for one of these?

Rod Sheridan
11-04-2010, 9:13 AM
30mm is the smaller standard bore dimension for tooling in the EU.

A 250mm blade will have a 30mm bore, and you can use it on your saw or spindle moulder (shaper).

I have a Euro saw and as others have said, you can obtain blades with any bore/pinhole configuration you want.

I simply phone my saw supplier, tell them what model blade I want, and supply the bore and pin information.

The 30mm bore size seems to be a more thoughtful size, perhaps arrived at after some actual engineering calculations.

5/8" seems small on a 250 or 300mm blade, and may be a hold over not based on sound engineering.

A friend owns a new 12" Delta RAS, 5/8" dia arbour, 12" blades seem to be 1" bore in general. Makes you wonder.

Regards, Rod.

Brian Deakin
11-04-2010, 1:43 PM
Thank you for your detailed explanation and I agree with the points you raised

Further thank you to the other forum member for their thoughts and comments
The difference in diameter of the arbor between the two countries does reinforce the need to be careful when ordering products from another country

regards Brian

ray hampton
11-04-2010, 2:23 PM
with the saws arbor being different sizes, you will not install a 12" blade on a 10" saw --a 12" blade on a 10" saw might get dangerous

Rod Sheridan
11-04-2010, 2:58 PM
with the saws arbor being different sizes, you will not install a 12" blade on a 10" saw --a 12" blade on a 10" saw might get dangerous

That's why I can't understand my friends Delta, 12" blade, 5/8" arbour......Rod.

Dave Lehnert
11-04-2010, 4:47 PM
A standard Shopsmith uses a 1 1/4" blade bore. Made in the USA. Dayton, Ohio. Not sure of the history behind that size.

http://www.shopsmith.com/markvsite/images/AnvMarkVGlamour6.gif

Rick Rifendifer
11-05-2010, 7:23 PM
Brian I know what you are going through. I have an Inca table saw with a 20mm bore. Finding blades is a real pain. So Inhave just the opposite problem. good luck in your quest! Rick-----

ray hampton
11-05-2010, 7:47 PM
how safe do you consider saw blade adapter ?

Dave Cav
11-05-2010, 11:00 PM
That's why I can't understand my friends Delta, 12" blade, 5/8" arbour......Rod.

As far as I know the Delta 12" turret radial arm saw has always come with a 5/8" arbor. I believe the saw was originally a 10" saw which was "upgraded" by putting a 12" blade guard on it. Also, they probably kept the arbor at 5/8" to allow people to use a wider variety of less expensive 10" blades on their saw. Before 12" chop and SCMS were popular, 12" blades were much less common and more expensive than 10" blades; it's often a wash now.

Most 12"/1" arbor blades I've seen also come with a 1" to 5/8" adapter bushing.

Dave Lehnert
11-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Anyone having a hard time finding blades with the correct arbor hole. Any sharping service sells blades and do custom arbor drilling.

Chris Mahmood
11-06-2010, 1:48 AM
Brian I know what you are going through. I have an Inca table saw with a 20mm bore. Finding blades is a real pain. So Inhave just the opposite problem. good luck in your quest! Rick-----

Ridge Carbide, Forrest, etc. will all do a 20mm bore for a small fee when you buy a new blades, I'm not sure how much it costs for old blade that already has a bore though. If you're looking for cheap blades Festool circular saws have a 20mm arbor and Oshlun, Freud, and others now sell blades for them. The only drawback is that they are only 160mm (6.3") in diameter . I got a 14T Freud blade for my 259 to rip some old redwood a while ago for less than $20 and it's actually a really nice blade as long as you don't need a lot of depth.

Tom Walz
11-08-2010, 11:42 AM
We are happy to make any custom blade or adapt an existing blade, by enlarging the arbor, for example. Arbor or bore adapters or bushings do work well and safely if the blade is clamped preperly.

Call Emily at 800 346-8274.

george wilson
11-08-2010, 12:37 PM
My 1964 Dewalt(by Clausing) 10" table saw uses a 3/4" arbor. I have to bore out every blade I buy. The older blades used to have a punch out bushing for 3/4",but not recently.