PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw suggestions

Barry Lyndon
11-03-2010, 3:37 PM
I'm looking into getting a bandsaw. I've never had one before so I can't say for sure what I will end up mainly using it for but at this moment I mainly want one for resawing. Can all bandsaws resaw or is there something particular I need to look for? I'm looking in the $600 to $800 range, would this Rikon be a good buy at the price? http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020041/18855/Rikon-14-Deluxe-Bandsaw.aspx?ss=98e8648c-c14c-4f34-9ae7-db33d3131778

There are also several others Woodcraft offers for around the same price - http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080693/29768/Delta-14-Band-Saw-with-1-HP-Motor-and-Enclosed-Stand-Model-28206.aspx

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2060002/23350/JET-14-Band-Saw-with-Open-Stand-Model-JWBS14OS.aspx

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2002049/22892/Jet-14-Closed-Base-Bandsaw-Model-JWBS14CS.aspx

I haven't really heard much about the Rikon brand name but it is on sale for $200 off bringing it to the price range of the others linked so I figured it may be a good buy, also the reviews on Woodcraft seem pretty positive but the others don't have any reviews to compare it to.

Sorry if I am leaving out some vital information that would help in suggestions, I just don't know that much about bandsaws.

Thanks,
Ryan

Ashwini Kaul
11-03-2010, 4:09 PM
Hey Barry,
There is at least one thread every week on this topic and I am guilty of starting a couple myself. Here's the link to the last one that addressed similar issues:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=151277

Rikon seems to have a good reputation and the CS is suppossedly good too... all hearsay on my part as I dont own anything Rikon yet but am considering the 10-325 very seriously as my first Bandsaw.

Grizzly is the other one that gets a lot of press in this forum and they are know for value and CS. The 513, 513x2, 514x2 seem to the most favorite.

Laguna has the free shipping thsi month and if you can spend the extra cash, their 14 " bandsaws are an excellent product.

Bandsaw purchases are a pain IMO. There are so many good choices! We are spoilt....One tends to spend way too much time researching them.

If you look at a Tablesaw or a Planer instead... the chioce is very limited.

All the best in your search.

Prashun Patel
11-03-2010, 4:19 PM
That saw gets good reviews. A close comparison to that saw would be the Grizzly G0555x with the optional riser blocks.

You can resaw with even a 1hp motor, 14" bandsaw like the Grizzly G0555 I have, but the choice of blade is even more critical than on the more powerful saws.

Barry Lyndon
11-03-2010, 4:21 PM
Thanks for the info and the link Ashwini! I'll read through that forum and see where I'm at in the decision then.

Good luck with your search too!

Van Huskey
11-03-2010, 4:27 PM
In the 600-800 range two saws stick out to me given the current sales:

1. Rikon 14" Deluxe with the 699 sale at WC in the high $700s either picked up with tax or shipped without tax to a non-WC "tax state", if you need it shipped and have to pay tax it will be more

2. Grizzly 17" 513P for about $830 shipped (if you need liftgate) and are not in a Grizzly "tax state"

If I did not want to spend another penny on the saw I would get the Rikon, if you are willing to add a better fence now or at some point ($90 retrofit Grizzly kit is fine) then I would get the 513P.

As far as resaw goes any bandsaw will resaw BUT depending on the saws one is comparing one may have more capacity, be able to do it faster, be more accurate and/or tension a "better" resaw blade. Either of the above saws are acceptable in resawing and can tension a good 3/4" resaw blade.

Jim Rimmer
11-03-2010, 4:30 PM
I have the Grizzly G0555X. It's on sale right now for $625 plus $94 freight. It's like the one Prashun mentioned only has some upgrades including, among other things, a 1.5 HP motor, bigger table, and includes the resaw fence. http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw/G0555X

I just bought my second round of resaw blades and got the Woodslicer from Highland and it is a great blade. Most folks here will tell you to toss whatever blade comes with the saw.

Also recommend Mark Duginski's book, http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-BOOK-MDBSGB-Complete-Guide-Duginske/dp/B000VK5W6Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1288816104&sr=1-2-spell
It is a great help in setting up your saw but it also has a on what to look for when buying a new or used saw.

Also check out this post by Van Huskey http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=149862

Barry Lyndon
11-03-2010, 4:34 PM
In the 600-800 range two saws stick out to me given the current sales:

1. Rikon 14" Deluxe with the 699 sale at WC in the high $700s either picked up with tax or shipped without tax to a non-WC "tax state", if you need it shipped and have to pay tax it will be more

2. Grizzly 17" 513P for about $830 shipped (if you need liftgate) and are not in a Grizzly "tax state"

If I did not want to spend another penny on the saw I would get the Rikon, if you are willing to add a better fence now or at some point ($90 retrofit Grizzly kit is fine) then I would get the 513P.

As far as resaw goes any bandsaw will resaw BUT depending on the saws one is comparing one may have more capacity, be able to do it faster, be more accurate and/or tension a "better" resaw blade. Either of the above saws are acceptable in resawing and can tension a good 3/4" resaw blade.

I am seriously looking into the Grizzly 17" 513P now. It's funny you mention replacing the fence on the Grizzly because that's the one bad thing I have consistently read about the *Rikon*. Most are saying that the fence is absolute crap. Anyway, the 17" part of the bandsaw means that I would be able to resaw wider boards than a 14" right? I'm a little confused on what exactly it means because the Rikon says it can resaw 13", not 14".

With the 2hp motor (vs 1.5 on the Rikon) and the 17" capacity I'm having a hard time figuring out why I would ever go with the Rikon now. Thanks for pointing that one out to me guys! Anyone know when the introductory price on the 513P will be over?

Jim Rimmer
11-03-2010, 4:42 PM
Anyway, the 17" part of the bandsaw means that I would be able to resaw wider boards than a 14" right? I'm a little confused on what exactly it means because the Rikon says it can resaw 13", not 14".
The 14" or 17" size refers to the width horizontally between the blade and column. Resaw dimensions refer to the distance vertically from the table to the highest point you can raise the blade guide and pass a board under it. My 14" Grizzly can only resaw 6" unless I add the riser blocks that actually make the saw taller.

Van Huskey
11-03-2010, 4:51 PM
I am seriously looking into the Grizzly 17" 513P now. It's funny you mention replacing the fence on the Grizzly because that's the one bad thing I have consistently read about the *Rikon*. Most are saying that the fence is absolute crap. Anyway, the 17" part of the bandsaw means that I would be able to resaw wider boards than a 14" right? I'm a little confused on what exactly it means because the Rikon says it can resaw 13", not 14".

With the 2hp motor (vs 1.5 on the Rikon) and the 17" capacity I'm having a hard time figuring out why I would ever go with the Rikon now. Thanks for pointing that one out to me guys! Anyone know when the introductory price on the 513P will be over?

First let me address the Rikon fence issue, it is indeed not the best fence in the world, then again nothing in this price range has a "great" fence, some have acceptable fences, some not acceptable and some have no fence at all. The Rikon fence is acceptable to me, compromised yes but will do all the basic things a bandsaw fence should. The 513P however has a fence that without modification will be hard pressed to perform adequately in resawing.

The Rikon has a 13" resaw height, the Grizzly 12", the Rikon has a 13 5/8" width capacity the 513P has 16 1/4".

The Rikon has a bigger table, ball bearing vs Euro guides, cast vs Al wheels and a work light. The Grizzly has more horsepower.

The decision isn't 100% cut and dried as the Rikon has things the Grizzly doesn't and vice-versa but as I said if you never want to spend anything upgrading the saw the Rikon would be my choice since I wouldn't want to resaw anything taller than 4-5 inches with the stock Grizzly fence. However if you add the $90 for the fence upgrade to the Grizzly you over $900, then you need to consider the big jump you can make going to $1100 with either the Grizzly 513X2 or the Rikon 18" saw... If you would like I can run the upgrades you get with each one over the ones already in play.

The promotion has no set time, it has been running several months now on the Polar Bear line.

PS I should add you can add a shop built fence extension to the stock Grizzly fence for a few buck and some time. I just prefer an extruded hi-lo fence.

Van Huskey
11-03-2010, 4:53 PM
The 14" or 17" size refers to the width horizontally between the blade and column.

Actually this refers to the diameter of the wheels, the width from blade to spine will always be a little less than this.

Jim Rimmer
11-03-2010, 4:57 PM
Actually this refers to the diameter of the wheels, the width from blade to spine will always be a little less than this.
DUH, I knew that but had a senior moment. :p
Thanks, Van.

greg a bender
11-03-2010, 5:14 PM
I went through this same exercise a month ago.

I was upgrading from a no name Chinese 14". I studied everything till I had night sweats! Finally pulled the trigger on the Griz 513P. Great price. Liftated into my shop by the nice UPS Frieght man.
If you go with one of these, be aware they are tall, (just a whisker under 6') and heavy.

So far I am very, very pleased. Runs spooky quiet, no vibration or weird noises. Assembly was a non-issue. Set-up / tuning takes about 30 min. first time. Plenty of power, smooth cuts decent fence.

As you can tell, I'm happy!

Van Huskey
11-03-2010, 5:15 PM
DUH, I knew that but had a senior moment. :p
Thanks, Van.

I knew you knew better Jim, in fact since the two are more or less directly proportional most of us probably just think about it that way but given the OP is looking for his first BS I thought it would be prudent to point out so he didn't get confused!

While we are at it anyone with questions can view this:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/animation/animation.aspx?itemnumber=G0513X2

View the resaw and rip animations as well as the capacities picture, this should clear things up. This one is specifically for the G0513X2 but it has the same capacities as the 513P.

Randy Dutkiewicz
11-03-2010, 5:17 PM
I just recently purchased the Grizzly 513P and I absolutely love this machine. Excellent power, but agree with everyone else regarding the fence. Prior to my purchase, I took the suggestions of others on this forum and spend the extra $90 bucks to get the upgraded resaw fence. In the end, it was a VERY wise choice I believe as the stock fence is pretty much "less than acceptable". The upgraded fence has alot of weight to it being cast iron too. I highly recommend this saw if your looking a a very good saw for a very reasonable price. Also, I purchased the mobile base since I knew this saw was going to be HEAVY! I also opted for the liftgate service (about $40 bucks) and the UPS driver even wheeled it into my garage for me - even though they aren't required to.:)

Joe Scarfo
11-03-2010, 6:12 PM
Barry,

You didn't mention time lines.. I tend to shop the paper and craigslist for tool purchases. With enough time, you can save significant amounts of money.

I recently picked up a 3HP Jet 18" bandsaw for $400 or so on craigslist...

Good Luck with your search.

Joe

Neil Brooks
11-03-2010, 6:27 PM
I think -- as always -- you've gotten a lot of excellent advice, so far.

My anecdotal: Rikon owners seem pretty happy with their BS's.

I bought the Grizzly G0555X, added the riser kit, a Carter spring, the Carter Ratchet Rod, the Grizzly aftermarket guide block holders, Cool Blocks, and a 1/2" Wood Slicer blade.

And I couldn't BE any happier with my saw.

As the other poster said: lots of good choices. Almost too many :p

Dan Karachio
11-03-2010, 7:39 PM
Joe has better luck than I do, but good for him! I looked on CL for two years for a bandsaw deal...

I have the Rikon 14" and I do like it a lot. However, I had to get it over the Grizzly 17" models because my shop ceiling is that low! If it wasn't for that, I would have a Grizzly 17". For the price, now on sale at WC, it is a very good saw. I am not a fan of the fence, but it is more mediocre than bad. Grizzly has a very very nice fence, but for 6-800 it's tight on the larger Grizzly units.

However, it sounds like you are new to bandsaws and may not have the best idea on what you will use on for. I suggest you try to get some time with different models at other people's shops or stores and think about it. Don't rush! My first bandsaw was a used 1950's 12" Walker Turner. I learned quite a bit on that saw and it only cost me $150. Now I am getting all teary eyed. It had some cracks that I could not repair and I gave it away to a machinist and I'm sure he has it humming...

Joseph Tarantino
11-03-2010, 9:21 PM
ryan....when i'm ready to take my 18" jet out to the curb with the rest of my trash, i'll be replacing it with a 14" rikon (thankfully, the jet only cost me $40). i have yet to see a negative comment about either the tool or the technical and/or customer support rikon provides. alas, the same cannot be said for the walter meier group, the complany that markets the jet and powermatic brands. good luck with your search.

Will Overton
11-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Since you specified resawing, of the ones you pointed out at WoodCraft, the Rikon is the way to go. The Grizzly mentioned already is another good choice.

I have a PowerMatic 14" which is similar to the Delta and Jet's you linked to. If I wanted to resaw anything wider than 6" I would have to add a riser block. If I bought the bandsaw for resawing it would not have been my first choice.

Dave Lehnert
11-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Anyone with the 513P. Have you wised for the cast-iron wheels?

Ashwini Kaul
11-04-2010, 7:16 AM
One of the big draws for me towards the Rikon (considering practical issues) is the weight. At just over 200lbs, it will be an easy haul to my basement shop or to move it around. I know this goes against traditional bandsaw wisdom as heft has been considered a virtue. (The 17" griz is well over 400lbs)

Another thing to consider is availability: When I was ready to pull the trigger on the 513x2 in September, the availability was showing as late october... I wanted immediate gratification. I dont know what the current stock situation is, but its something to consider...

For me, the stock 110v option on the Rikon means, I dont have to get the 220 installed in the shop right away... even though long term plans call for it. Maybe when I finally upgrade the TS!

On the down side: I am worried about the dust collection. I have heard that you have to remove something from the stock saw to make the 4" port work. And then I still am worried about how good it will work. As I am in the basement... I need good DC at source. The Grizzly OTOH seems to have decent DC with 2 4" ports.

(BTW Amazon just dropped the price on the Rikon to $745... with free shipping... its very inviting)

For the folks in the know... If we add a decent resaw fence in the future (like a kreg/or maybe a driftmaster - if thats even compatible), will the Rikons major drawback be addressed?

Rod Sheridan
11-04-2010, 9:03 AM
I personally would stay away from the 14" cast iron Delta clones, in my opinion they are extremely dated and in general lack the ability to tension wider blades.

That doesn't mean that if you find a used industrial machine such as a General, that you should avoid it as well. Different class of saw.

I would look for a welded steel saw, larger than 14" for a few reasons, one of which is clearance to the frame. You don't often need more rip capacity thah a 14" will provide, however once you start swinging pieces to cut curves, more wheel diameter becomes really handy.

For home I think 17 or 18" machines are often an optimum size.

I'm not in the band saw market, however I was impressed with the Hammer N4400 saw, atractive price, superb customer service, good quality machinery and it comes with a 3Kw motor.

http://www.feldergroupusa.com/us-us/video/hammer-n4400.html?videosgruppen_id=0&__utma=1.320599165.1287151645.1288377826.128887560 6.4&__utmb=1.4.10.1288875606&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1287151645.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(di rect)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=92779293

The link above is the video for the Hammer N4400.

Regards, Rod.

Ashwini Kaul
11-04-2010, 9:57 AM
I personally would stay away from the 14" cast iron Delta clones, in my opinion they are extremely dated and in general lack the ability to tension wider blades.

That doesn't mean that if you find a used industrial machine such as a General, that you should avoid it as well. Different class of saw.

I would look for a welded steel saw, larger than 14" for a few reasons, one of which is clearance to the frame. You don't often need more rip capacity thah a 14" will provide, however once you start swinging pieces to cut curves, more wheel diameter becomes really handy.

For home I think 17 or 18" machines are often an optimum size.

I'm not in the band saw market, however I was impressed with the Hammer N4400 saw, atractive price, superb customer service, good quality machinery and it comes with a 3Kw motor.

http://www.feldergroupusa.com/us-us/video/hammer-n4400.html?videosgruppen_id=0&__utma=1.320599165.1287151645.1288377826.128887560 6.4&__utmb=1.4.10.1288875606&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1287151645.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(di rect)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=92779293

The link above is the video for the Hammer N4400.

Regards, Rod.

The N4400 seems to be a good machine from the specs.
Unfortunately user reviews are rare to find and professional reviews for this saw dont exist. Recently they seem to have added to the resaw height (now 12") and added a foot brake, I think without increasing the price... I am not sure though...

Josh Bowman
11-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Hey Barry,

Laguna has the free shipping thsi month and if you can spend the extra cash, their 14 " bandsaws are an excellent product.

Their 14" SUV bandsaw is nice, my experience with their customer service is not so good. Lots of promises to send repair parts (never did), forgot to ship (until called and asked for management), shipped wrong item (3 times so far, now it's just turned to fun to watch the boxes go back and forth), just plain old never get back to you (until you call), Now they are plenty nice, just don't follow through. As compared to other companies they just aren't getting it IMO. Good news it's built strong.

Barry Lyndon
11-04-2010, 2:31 PM
Awesome information from everyone as usual, thanks! It sounds like there are happy people with both saws and plenty of pros along with a few cons for both the Rikon and the Grizzly. You guys were supposed to make my decision easier :D I like Rod's point about cutting curves and that 17" giving me more room than the 14". That's something I hadn't considered. I am in a basement workshop so the weight and size is also something I am going to have to take into consideration as well I guess (though I do have 8 ft. ceilings). I am also interested in the availability of the Grizzly. I'm not seeing the ship date if I were to order today on the website, I may need to call them to get this info. I also took a look at that Hammer. Looks like a great machine but it's a bit too far from the price I am interested in paying. Decisions...decisions...

Randy Dutkiewicz
11-04-2010, 6:30 PM
Anyone with the 513P. Have you wised for the cast-iron wheels?
Dave,
I originally was wanting the 513X2, but there was such a lengthy backorder on this machine. I contemplated for a while and considering what I'll be using mine for, not having the CI wheels was not a deal breaker for me. I don't do much resawing, but wanted the upgraded fence in case there were those occasions where I would do some re-sawing. I've done a few resawing applications in some walnut and it worked flawlessly and produced a nice smooth cut with no bogging down whatsoever. I couldn't be happier.

Kent E. Matthew
11-04-2010, 7:05 PM
I had decided to try for the Rikon at Woodcraft before the sale ended. One just popped up on CL. Not a great deal, but significantly better then the new price. We'll see.

Rob Price
11-05-2010, 4:47 AM
I'll throw in my $.02 as that was my question about a month ago. Figure in cost of blades (I started with 4- 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 resaw, and general purpose 1/2), I added the kreg fence, mobile base, and the carter stabalizer- all that adds up pretty quick. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on the 513x2 (also looked at their heavy duty 14" steel framed saw), but then Jet had a sale on their "Deluxe Pro" 14 which has the riser block built it (I've read too many posts about alignment issues installing riser blocks.). Plus, I didn't have the headroom or shop room for a big 17" saw. For me the sale price, plus no sales tax (ToolNut in NY) and free shipping made a sweet deal at $750 delivered to my door in two days when I bought it on Amazon. The Rikon was my second choice but I had read the same thing about it's fence, and Wood magazine said the lower guides were a pain to adjust, not a deal breaker, but a consideration. jet also has 5 year warranty vs 1 for Grizz.

I've only had it a month, but I'm very happy with it. I wanted CI wheels, comes with good polyurethane tires, dual ball bearing guides, plenty of resaw capability and power (for my needs) and with a good blade, I was able to resaw 12" red oak no sweat. My initial thoughts here: http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=149263

End of the day, lots of good saws to choose from.

Curt Harms
11-05-2010, 7:28 AM

The Rikon fence isn't as nice as some aftermarket units I'm sure, but I'm using the stock fence with an additional bar so I can use the fence on either side of the the blade. One of the complaints is that the Rikon fence is hard to adjust for drift. I guess it is but I've never had to do it and can resaw very well(within .05"), thank you very much :). The trick is tuning, proper setup and a good blade as others have said. Incidentally, the blade that came on my Rikon 10-325 is 5/8" and isn't half bad though not as good as Lenox IMO. I went with the Rikon because I thought it would be easier to move the a basement shop which it is. I also build a base in lieu of the factory lower cabinet. I wanted to lower the table to about the same height as my table saw. I'm vertically challenged and prefer the table lower than stock.

I'm also a little skeptical about running the Griz 0513 on 120 volts unless that's the ONLY thing on the 20 amp circuit. The Rikon is 1.5 h.p. so should draw about the same amps as a contractor's saw. I'm using the Rikon on 240 volts because I have it available, it runs fine on 120. The G0513 does seem like a lot of saw for the $$ and it'd probably be better for running wider blades or blades like the Lenox TriMaster that are happier with larger diameter wheels and a lot of tension. There are tons of 513's out there and I don't know if I've ever heard a complaint.

Van Huskey
11-06-2010, 2:34 AM
Just noticed the Grizzly 513X2 went on sale for $895. Compared to the 513P you get a larger table, ball bearing guides, cast iron wheels, cast iron trunnion and the upgraded fence. The difference in price is $200 but if you are upgrading the fence on the 513P you are getting everything else for $110. If I could push my budget up the extra $200 I would absolutely get the 513X2 while it is on sale, the 513P is an excellent deal but I think the 513X2 is actually a much better deal at this price.

The above is sincere, below is for fun...kinda.

Now that we are in budget creep mode lets talk a little Italian, no point in stopping here its time to start waxing poetic about Agazzani, Laguna and Minimax bandsaws. What ever you do, do NOT watch the video about the Minimax MM16... http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php?option=com_seyret&Itemid=36&task=videodirectlink&id=8 click on MM16 bandsaw, or not... :D

Barry Lyndon
11-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Just noticed the Grizzly 513X2 went on sale for $895. Compared to the 513P you get a larger table, ball bearing guides, cast iron wheels, cast iron trunnion and the upgraded fence. The difference in price is $200 but if you are upgrading the fence on the 513P you are getting everything else for $110. If I could push my budget up the extra $200 I would absolutely get the 513X2 while it is on sale, the 513P is an excellent deal but I think the 513X2 is actually a much better deal at this price.

The above is sincere, below is for fun...kinda.

Now that we are in budget creep mode lets talk a little Italian, no point in stopping here its time to start waxing poetic about Agazzani, Laguna and Minimax bandsaws. What ever you do, do NOT watch the video about the Minimax MM16... http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php?option=com_seyret&Itemid=36&task=videodirectlink&id=8 click on MM16 bandsaw, or not... :D

I have a budget or around $700 but if there is something significantly better for just a little more (like the 513x2 perhaps) than I would definitely consider it. For the $1000 with shipping would this be a way better bandsaw than the 513p? The 513p looks like it has a significant discount from the "regular" price where the 513x2 is a much smaller discount percentage wise. Also, if I'm looking at the 513x2 then that puts me close to the price or the 17" Rikon (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005220/17458/Rikon-18-212-HP-Bandsaw.aspx?ss=68f96e56-3c26-4006-923d-044a2097bda6) which is on sale right now too for $400 off. What are people's thoughts on that one?

Joseph Tarantino
11-06-2010, 11:26 AM
barrry.........with a 13" resaw capacity and 1.5hp dual voltage motor, the rikon 10-325 is an very impressive band saw. it should serve an experienced user very well and be a really good starting point for anyone getting thier first BS. and @$699 on sale @WC, it falls right into the price range you noted in the OP. and rikon's customer and technical support can only help make that first BS experience a good one. which is important, as i found out having to deal with jet. wisely, you aren't considering one of those.

with the money you save not going to $1000, you can get some good blades. and good blades (i.e., no timberwolfs) will have a dramatic positive affect on the performance of your bandsaw. get the rikon and start making some sawdust!

Ashwini Kaul
11-06-2010, 11:45 AM
barrry.........with a 13" resaw capacity and 1.5hp dual voltage motor, the rikon 10-325 is an very impressive band saw. it should serve an experienced user very well and be a really good starting point for anyone getting thier first BS. and @$699 on sale @WC, it falls right into the price range you noted in the OP. and rikon's customer and technical support can only help make that first BS experience a good one. which is important, as i found out having to deal with jet. wisely, you aren't considering one of those.

with the money you save not going to $1000, you can get some good blades. and good blades (i.e., no timberwolfs) will have a dramatic positive affect on the performance of your bandsaw. get the rikon and start making some sawdust!

I finally pulled the trigger on the 10-325!! My first bandsaw!
After months of researching, reading every post on Bandsaws in 3 different forums, getting quotes from Laguna, Minimax, Felder, Aggazani... sense prevailed, thanks to some very helpful guidance here... and the Rikon will be here on Tuesday. Lou from Ittura was extremely helpful in picking up a 1/4" Lenox and a 3/4" Woodslicer.

I was on the verge of getting the 513x2 more than once. The long wait time was a deterrant. Same with the N4400 from Hammer/Felder.

I plan to upgrade the fence and carter a stabiliser in the near future.

All the best to the OP. Many thanks to all other who helped in my search.

Barry Lyndon
11-06-2010, 1:10 PM
Bummer, Amazon has the price on the Rikon back up to $899.00. I had a $150 credit there too...oh well.

Ashwini Kaul
11-06-2010, 7:59 PM
Bummer, Amazon has the price on the Rikon back up to $899.00. I had a $150 credit there too...oh well.

Just watch the price... I am certain its going to drop again while woodcraft has its sale. Set up a price alert with camelcamelcamel. It works pretty well!

Van Huskey
11-08-2010, 12:38 AM
First, as you know people on forums love to spend your money! Second, there is nothing I would rather spend peoples money on this forum for than bandsaws and there aren't a lot of things in life I would rather spend my own money on that bandsaws!

Next, only you can set your real budget, it is what YOU can and/or are willing to pay for a bandsaw. Further, as you have seen deals change every day and it causes certain bandsaws to jocky for "best value" at any given price point.

Both Rikons (14/18") are solid saws as are both Grizzlies (513P/513X2). I think both the Rikon 18" at the WC price and the Grizzly 513X2 at the current price are "better values" than the 513P and Rikon 14" but if they don't fit your budget then it doesn't matter! As mentioned you also need to consider tooling as with any machine.

IMO:
If you have about $800 to spend get the Rikon 14"
If you have about $900 to spend get the 513P and the fence retrofit
If you have about $1000 to spend get the 513X2
If you have about $1100 to spend get the Rikon 18"

In each case I think the extra money gets you a "better" all around bandsaw, one could argue about specific tasks though.

Right now with the current sales it is a good time to be looking in this price range for a bandsaw but I think the sales also make each of the above saws stand out at a slightly different price point, the good thing is there are no duds in this group and a fair number of satisfied owners of each on the forum.

Barry Lyndon
11-08-2010, 11:13 AM
First, as you know people on forums love to spend your money! Second, there is nothing I would rather spend peoples money on this forum for than bandsaws and there aren't a lot of things in life I would rather spend my own money on that bandsaws!

Next, only you can set your real budget, it is what YOU can and/or are willing to pay for a bandsaw. Further, as you have seen deals change every day and it causes certain bandsaws to jocky for "best value" at any given price point.

Both Rikons (14/18") are solid saws as are both Grizzlies (513P/513X2). I think both the Rikon 18" at the WC price and the Grizzly 513X2 at the current price are "better values" than the 513P and Rikon 14" but if they don't fit your budget then it doesn't matter! As mentioned you also need to consider tooling as with any machine.

IMO:
If you have about $800 to spend get the Rikon 14"
If you have about $900 to spend get the 513P and the fence retrofit
If you have about $1000 to spend get the 513X2
If you have about $1100 to spend get the Rikon 18"

In each case I think the extra money gets you a "better" all around bandsaw, one could argue about specific tasks though.

Right now with the current sales it is a good time to be looking in this price range for a bandsaw but I think the sales also make each of the above saws stand out at a slightly different price point, the good thing is there are no duds in this group and a fair number of satisfied owners of each on the forum.

Excellent points. I'm sure that no matter what saw I decided on there would always be one that is slightly better and slightly more expensive. I think I've decided on the 14" Rikon. The extra 4" of space on the other saws for cutting curves and the like would be great but that's really the only thing important to me that I am seeing the other saws offer that the Rikon doesn't. I'm also in a basement so I'll get the added benefit of being able to get the 250lb Rikon down there much easier than a 450lb 18" saw (though I would never base my decision on how easy it is to get the saw into the shop, it's just a nice extra benefit of the Rikon).

Now I just need to do some shopping for a mobile base (I'm thinking this HTC2000 http://www.amazon.com/HTC-HTC2000-Universal-Mobile-Base/dp/B00002262M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289232674&sr=8-1 since it has great reviews) and then need to wait for the local Woodcraft to get one of the Rikons in stock. They said they have 4 coming in sometime early this week!

Tom Matthews
11-08-2010, 1:05 PM
Now I just need to do some shopping for a mobile base (I'm thinking this HTC2000 http://www.amazon.com/HTC-HTC2000-Universal-Mobile-Base/dp/B00002262M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289232674&sr=8-1 since it has great reviews) and then need to wait for the local Woodcraft to get one of the Rikons in stock. They said they have 4 coming in sometime early this week!I have that same base for my G0513x2 and am happy with it. The lift levers are plastic, but they seem to be fairly sturdy.

I was going to post that it was $50 at Woodcraft, but it looks like Amazon dropped their price on it too - I paid $62 three weeks ago.

Trent Shirley
11-08-2010, 8:05 PM
This is a great thread except for one thing. I too am looking to get my first bandsaw and I am farther from making a decision than when I started reading.

You guys bring up too many good points to consider so now I am stuck in consideration mode. :)

Someone posted a higher price on the 513P, it is currently at $698. with $89. shipping.

Will aluminum wheels make much difference to an occasional home woodworker? It sounds like both the Rikon 14" and Grizzly 513P will need a new fence for any serious work at some point down the road. So the real considerations for me would be the extra power of the Grizzly and deeper throat vs the cast iron wheels and lack of shipping cost (local pickup) of the Rikon.

Scott Dodd
11-08-2010, 8:25 PM
I've been in the market for a new BS and have been following this thread for a few days. With so many good BS products within a narrow price range the decision making process can get confusing so I said the heck with it and ordered a 18" Rikon from Woodcraft (Amazon lowered their price again). Now on to more important things like which re-saw blade to get :). Great info.

Thx,

Scott

Joseph Tarantino
11-08-2010, 8:48 PM
I finally pulled the trigger on the 10-325!! My first bandsaw!
After months of researching, reading every post on Bandsaws in 3 different forums, getting quotes from Laguna, Minimax, Felder, Aggazani... sense prevailed, thanks to some very helpful guidance here... and the Rikon will be here on Tuesday. Lou from Ittura was extremely helpful in picking up a 1/4" Lenox and a 3/4" Woodslicer.

I was on the verge of getting the 513x2 more than once. The long wait time was a deterrant. Same with the N4400 from Hammer/Felder.

I plan to upgrade the fence and carter a stabiliser in the near future.

All the best to the OP. Many thanks to all other who helped in my search.

congrats on your purchase. you've got a good start with that rikon and you've started a dialogue with one of the best band saw people in the country. lou iturra has probably forgotten more than most of us will ever know about bandsaws and related products. he's never steered me wrong and following his advise, it'll be hard for you to go wrong.

Joseph Tarantino
11-08-2010, 8:51 PM
This is a great thread except for one thing. I too am looking to get my first bandsaw and I am farther from making a decision than when I started reading.

You guys bring up too many good points to consider so now I am stuck in consideration mode. :)

Someone posted a higher price on the 513P, it is currently at $698. with $89. shipping.

Will aluminum wheels make much difference to an occasional home woodworker? It sounds like both the Rikon 14" and Grizzly 513P will need a new fence for any serious work at some point down the road. So the real considerations for me would be the extra power of the Grizzly and deeper throat vs the cast iron wheels and lack of shipping cost (local pickup) of the Rikon.

never underestimate the importance of mass when trying to reduce vibration and increase stability. go with the rikon.....you can always find a way to execute a cut on a given tool, and the rikon's 1.5hp should handle the vast majority of tasks.

Joseph Tarantino
11-08-2010, 9:01 PM
Excellent points. I'm sure that no matter what saw I decided on there would always be one that is slightly better and slightly more expensive. I think I've decided on the 14" Rikon. The extra 4" of space on the other saws for cutting curves and the like would be great but that's really the only thing important to me that I am seeing the other saws offer that the Rikon doesn't. I'm also in a basement so I'll get the added benefit of being able to get the 250lb Rikon down there much easier than a 450lb 18" saw (though I would never base my decision on how easy it is to get the saw into the shop, it's just a nice extra benefit of the Rikon).

Now I just need to do some shopping for a mobile base (I'm thinking this HTC2000 http://www.amazon.com/HTC-HTC2000-Universal-Mobile-Base/dp/B00002262M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289232674&sr=8-1 since it has great reviews) and then need to wait for the local Woodcraft to get one of the Rikons in stock. They said they have 4 coming in sometime early this week!

i have that base on an 18" jet BS. i can't emphasize enough how utterly inadequate it is. it came with the saw when i got it and i'll be replacing it in the spring. it is a POJ! if you want one like that, check this out :

http://www.general.ca/site_general/accessories/universal/50-025e.html

it's much more substantial. i have a ridgid jointer on it and it's very solid. i'm considering this for the 18" jet:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080750/29416/WoodRiver-Universal-Mobile-Base-Hardware-Kit.aspx?ss=b6336169-ac34-410c-baad-4230d515b32a

it will accept 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood for great stability, which is very important to getting the smoothest cuts possible from a BS.

Van Huskey
11-08-2010, 10:05 PM

If you are talking about me with the higher price, I included the liftgate fee, if you have a loading dock or a forklift you won't need it.

Don't forget the tax on the Rikon... Honestly between the two it is a toss up for me, just depends on which side the coin lands when you flip it. I will say that I contend if you gave 99% of people two identical saws except one has cast iron and one has aluminum wheels the ONLY time they could tell the difference is when the saw is coasting to a stop (CI wheels will rotate longer). The question comes up more often when comparing the 513 to the 513X2 and I think the X2 has so many more value added features it makes it worth the money with or without the CI wheels. Your choice is even harder when both the Rikons and the Grizzlys are on sale...

Van Huskey
11-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Now on to more important things like which re-saw blade to get :). Great info.

Thx,

Scott

1" Resaw King from Laguna would be my first choice for that saw, if you don't want to spend the money there are more suggestions here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=149862&highlight=bandsaw