PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on affordable first vice(s) for new bench

Dustin Keys
11-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I’m trying to decide on vises for my upcoming bench build. As I’m a beginner without a lot of tools, money is tight (I can’t buy one, much less two, $200 vises right now). I see most bench plans with two vises.

So, on the more economical front, what would be a good start for my first bench? As I’m a beginner, I don’t yet have preferences on how I work or experience with different vise designs to guide my decision. I see vice screws for sale individually, as well as some inexpensive vices from Grizzly and HF that look appealing. I’m looking for a solid piece that will hold the work properly and not leave me frustrated.

If it is important, I’m building a modified version of the “Bob and Dave’s Fast and Cheap” bench (which isn’t particularly fast I might add). Ultimately, I might end up spending a lot of money on a later vise setup once I've determined what I like and how I like to work. I would prefer not to spend that money right now though as I would just be taking a shot in the dark as to which vices I would really like. This is also not my dream bench. It will be used to get me started and allow me to gain some experience to help me determine how I want to construct the next bench. Once I've done that, this bench will become my dedicated guitar bench.

I do have one old cast iron benchtop vise that I recently was given. It’s jaws are probably either 4” or 6” and it mounts on top of the bench. I see them labeled as a mechanics vise in catalogs and on the web. Could I use this or would I be better served buying something else? I was thinking that I could put a scrap wood piece between my work and the metal jaws, but I’m concerned that it just may be the wrong tool for the job entirely. Most of the more popular woodworking vices I see mount underneath or flush with the bench, so I'm thinking that this benchtop model I currently have might be a bad choice.

Thanks,
Dustin

Darius Ferlas
11-03-2010, 12:55 PM
perhaps this (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Cabinet-Maker-s-Vise/H7788) is within your budget?

Jerome Hanby
11-03-2010, 12:59 PM
You could collect some articles and videos (Wood Wrights Workshop and FWW) on cutting wooden threads and create some 2" - 3" wooden screws and nuts and build vises around those. Would be a lot of work, but I think it would be pretty satisfying to have vises you created yourself...

Chris Griggs
11-03-2010, 1:38 PM
Fine Woodworking recently rated this vise (http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2020593/Groz-Rapid-Action-Woodworking-Vises.aspx) as the "best value" in cast iron vises. It's not the cheapest vise out there, but it is relatively inexpensive, and supposedly an excellent product.

Dustin Keys
11-03-2010, 1:40 PM
You could collect some articles and videos (Wood Wrights Workshop and FWW) on cutting wooden threads and create some 2" - 3" wooden screws and nuts and build vises around those. Would be a lot of work, but I think it would be pretty satisfying to have vises you created yourself...

I've checked into that, but the information I found says that you need access to a lathe to do that. I don't have a lathe or know anyone that does.

Darius, that one is within my budget. I would prefer to stay under $50 if possible. Could you tell me why you chose that one instead of one of the less expensive wood vises they sell?

Thanks,
Dustin

Dave Houseal
11-03-2010, 1:45 PM
I bought this jorgensen from woodcraft and am very happy with it. Probably still a little bit pricey though. They are going for $135. Love the vise though.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000326/4050/Jorgensen-Rapid-Acting-Bench-Vise-4-x-7-Face-9-Opening.aspx?ss=f78f6446-8e37-4797-9aa1-7abb22e0ec5c

What is your actual budget? and do you need to have two vices right away? perhaps you would be able to add one now and one later.

Trevor Walsh
11-03-2010, 1:46 PM
I've checked into that, but the information I found says that you need access to a lathe to do that. I don't have a lathe or know anyone that does.

You don't need a lathe to make the screws. A rounding plane or a jig with a router, even very carfull spokeshave work would get you a blank suitable for threading with home made taps and dies. Check out St. Roy Underhill's book, The Woodwright's Workbook he has an excellent writup on how to make your own screws and nuts. I'm going to start tackling that project today to make 1 3/4 by 2 TPI screws today. I'll post pictures.

Jeremy Dorn
11-03-2010, 2:31 PM
Were it me, I'd settle on some sort of a face vise, and a tail vise setup for a first bench.

You could build these vises yourself around a few metal screws that are pretty cheaply had at Lee Valley. A tail vise screw can be used to make a wooden jawed leg vise to serve as standard face type vise, and then a shoulder vise screw can be used to construct a simple wagon vise that serves your tail vise needs.

Last time I looked I think that you can get these 2 screws for about $80 shipped total, $30 for the shoulder screw, and $36.50 for the tail vise screw + shipping.

That keeps your cost down, and if you determine that you would like to build a different bench later just remove the screws and their brackets and reuse them on a new bench.

I've been using a wagon vise setup built around one of the shoulder screws for several years now and dont know how I'd use hand planes without it.

Tim Sgrazzutti
11-03-2010, 4:39 PM
The Record clones made by Groz work O.K. for the money IMO. Got one on sale @ Woodcraft which made it even better. Pretty easy to install and add wood jaws to.

I also use twin screw clamps with one of the jaws clamped to my benchtop to hold things from time to time. Not as elegant and easy as some other solutions, but it works, and is definately on the cheap side.

James Scheffler
11-03-2010, 4:48 PM
I think you can get along without a tail vise. Lots of benches have one, but I don't think they're essential. I don't use mine.

I do have a planing stop on the left end, which is an extremely simple, cheap, and effective way of holding work. You can clamp other stops to the bench or use dogs or hold-down clamps to stop things from moving around. It doesn't need to be elaborate or expensive.

I have a metal woodworking vise similar to the ones suggested by a couple of people above. I think you should spend $100+ if you buy one of that type. You may be disappointed with a cheaper one. If you have a good one, it will hold your work with amazing force and last forever.

Jim S.

Brian Sullivan
11-03-2010, 4:52 PM
take a look at John White's new-fangled bench from FWW:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/Workshop/WorkshopArticle.aspx?id=28530

The original article is here: http://www.finewoodworking.com/Workshop/WorkshopArticle.aspx?id=28530.
I'm using a variation of his front vice and it works quite nicely. As a tail vice, I made a wagon vice using a press screw.

Jerome Hanby
11-03-2010, 4:53 PM
Wasn't there some FWW article about a "new fangled" workbench that used pipe clamp hardware for the vises? let me look real quick...

If you have an account at FWW, then you should be able to look at this link (http://www.finewoodworking.com/PlansAndProjects/PlansAndProjectsPDF.aspx?id=2625)

This is a link the the sketch-up picture, no account required to see this, I think

http://www.finewoodworking.com/assets/uploads/posts/19303/PipeClampsNFBench_lg.jpg

Brian Vaughn
11-03-2010, 5:15 PM
The pipe clamps are an interesting idea that I haven't seen before. That beats what I was going to suggest :) What I have seen is to cut down one half of a wooden clamp and use the other half for the tail vise, but looking at the pipe clamp idea, I like that a little better. Just beware of those metal edges around your tools

Johnny Kleso
11-03-2010, 5:29 PM
Harbor Freight for ENCO has some good vises what will do the job well till you can afford a better vise..

I have two HF $20 vises I no longer use from my bench build and I now use a ENCO WW vise I paid $59 and if you sign up for their mailing list you will get a free shipping code every month..

Just check Enco no longer sells the import vises :(

Wow HF has them on sale for $35 buy two :)

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-quick-release-woodworking-vise-94386.html

John Coloccia
11-03-2010, 5:33 PM
As long as you leave a skirt around the bench, you could always just use regular clamps for now. I used clamps for many years. I never had a vise until a couple of years ago. Anyhow, it would give you a chance to put the decision off until you can get what you really want. Also, it will give you an idea of the kind of work you do and how you like to clamp things. When it comes time to pick a vise, you'll know exactly what you want and exactly what you'll use it for.

Just a couple of cheap clamps and a planing stop will get you a VERY long way.

Jim Belair
11-03-2010, 5:40 PM
Make a twin screw front vise like this using a couple of veneer press screws ($20 each)
http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Declaring+Victory+With+The+Doublescrew+Vise.aspx

or like this for even less money
http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/You+Want+A+Pizza+Or+A+Twinscrew+Vise.aspx

Archie England
11-03-2010, 6:00 PM
I picked up a beauty of an NIB Jorgensen, for $45.00 at a local pawn shop. Don't forget to check these sources. Just missed another at a local estate sale for $10--for the vise along with the small workbench! Good deals are out there. Keep looking!

James Scheffler
11-03-2010, 6:33 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-quick-release-woodworking-vise-94386.html

It's curious that the last two reviews for the HF vise are exactly the same, and were posted on the same day, yet have different authors. :confused: Probably a computer error, but....

Stephen Cherry
11-03-2010, 8:25 PM
Craigslist- I've bought several vises (record, wilton) from craigslist, as well as a complete maple top with two vises installed, and an old antique bench with wooden threaded vises.

All for pennies on the dollar.

If you start looking every day using a search engine, such as search tempest, you will find what you want for a reasonable price.

Mark Baldwin III
11-03-2010, 9:09 PM
After looking at the vise, I saw the benches and they made me curious. I may have to see if HF has one in stock. They've got a store just down the street from my house.

Steve Branam
11-03-2010, 9:12 PM
I've been using a Veritas Wonder Dog in place of a tail vise. While it won't apply as much clamping force as a permanent vise, you don't need rock-crushing force, so it works fine. The Wonder Dog is also more versatile because you can move it around on the bench.

I've also done a bit with opposing wedges made from scraps backed up against a bench dog, the other end of the work against a planing stop. Harry Strasil has some pictures here of that type of setup. My wedges do loosen up after a bit, so I may need to roughen the faces where they contact. Right now they're smooth from when I planed them.

I also use Gramercy holdfasts in the top (and on my portable bench, the front skirt).

It's sort of a personal challenge to see if I can work without a regular vise. Why? Just because! But I want to see how simple I can make it and still work effectively.

Charlie Stone
11-03-2010, 9:18 PM
+1 for Harbor Freight. If you need something that will "get you by" until you can afford better. HF is a place to start.

Joe A Faulkner
11-03-2010, 9:55 PM
For $35, I don't think you'd be too unhappy with the HF quick release 9" vice. Given that it opens to 10" you could easily add a nice heavy 3" chop to both the tail vice and the face vice. You might also check your local Craig's list. I've seen guys re-selling 7" Wilton vises that have been salvaged from high school shop workbenches for $25-$30.

Steven DeMars
11-03-2010, 11:28 PM
The real thing, made in England

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=151013

glenn bradley
11-03-2010, 11:46 PM
I've been running two HF vises (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=86588&d=1208313092) as shown since I built my bench. They were supposed to just get me by but, nothing about them has made me take the time to install the two LV vises under my bench that are there to replace them. One of these days.

Russell Sansom
11-04-2010, 2:18 AM
Twin screw vice is a good idea. Easy to think about, easy to make, and pretty versatile.

Eons ago I simply cut apart a large wooden clamp and used the screws. I've had no regrets and am using one of the screws now, 45 years later. I still see these wooden vises on the auction site ad a decent price.
If you have a quantity of 8/4 Maple or beech or even oak, a tail vice is fairly easy to build using one of these screws. Take a glance at Krenov's writings ( sorry, I can't remember which book talks about his tail vice ). I can't imagine building musical instruments without a tail vise. After 20 years, mine developed enough of a droop that I took it apart, rebuilt it, and it's a good as the original build...a little better, in fact, since I was able to see where the most severe wear had taken place, I replaced those parts with improvements. Once again it will clamp a sheet of paper.

Charlie Stone
11-04-2010, 8:43 AM
Mark, I have one of the benches. The drawer slides are crap and only 2 of the 4 open. The bench top is only about 3/4 of an inch thick with the edges being thicker. The bench overall is very light when sawing or planing. And for my shop the vise is somewhat wimpy, and for my shop layout totally in the wrong spot.
All that said, It was a fast and cheap way for me to have a flat surface to work with as a first bench. It was really good in helping me figure out what I want in a second bench.

Dave Houseal
11-04-2010, 9:00 AM
I've been running two HF vises (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=86588&d=1208313092) as shown since I built my bench. They were supposed to just get me by but, nothing about them has made me take the time to install the two LV vises under my bench that are there to replace them. One of these days.

Hey Glenn, what kind of top is that on your bench? Is that MDF?

I used 2x12 topped with MDF as a cheap top on my bench to get me by until I can do something better. But I've often thought about drilling some dog holes and was never sure if the MDF would hold up.

Brad Lehman
11-04-2010, 9:00 AM
I like to sort of think of myself as an advanced beginner. That is to say, I've identified many tools and techniques that don't work very well for me, and several that actually do.

First, the mechanic's vice that you describe really isn't appropriate for woodworking. Not to say it can't be put to use in your workshop somehow, but it really isn't the right way to go for work holding.

What do I think the best bang for your buck is going to be? For the immediate future, get a decent Record copy (make sure it has quick release, trust me on this) and mount it as a tail vice. Make a nice thick outer chop that you can bore a dog hole in (to line up with dog holes in the bench surface). This would get you an awful lot of work holding between using it as a tail vice and a face vice for short pieces. Shop around on Craigslist, you'll find a good deal in short order.

Next, get yourself a pair of Grammercy holdfasts. These are unbelieveably useful (and simple) gizmos that won't break the bank.

Later, buy a couple of dowels and a screw threading kit from Woodcraft and build your self one of the twin screws that several folks have linked to.

This way, you can spread things out over time, but still have fair flexibility with minimal outlay up front.

Joe Cunningham
11-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Just a couple of cheap clamps and a planing stop will get you a VERY long way.

Yup. I added a crochet to my skirted bench and have no need for anything else right now. I already have clamps for glue-ups that just sit there doing nothing anyways, might as well put them to use.

Sometimes I wish for a leg vise, but haven't felt the need to build one yet.

Federico Mena Quintero
11-05-2010, 10:16 AM
I’m trying to decide on vises for my upcoming bench build. As I’m a beginner without a lot of tools, money is tight (I can’t buy one, much less two, $200 vises right now). I see most bench plans with two vises.

This is the leg vise I built for my bench. The only hardware was the screw+nut; I got it new for about 40 dollars (about 600 pesos in Mexico).

http://people.gnome.org/~federico/news-2010-07.html#roubo

It clamps nice and tight. I haven't needed a tail vise so far. The vise took two afternoons to build, with the overnight portion being for the glue to dry in the rail's joint.

Joshua Clark
11-05-2010, 10:44 AM
It's not very easy to make a workbench without already having a workbench. I did it when I first started out and it involved a lot of working on the floor, sitting on the work in place of clamps. It worked, but it wasn't easy. I just recently finished my new bench which is very simple and similar to the "LVL" bench in Popular Woodworking last year.

I've been using a Jorgensen large bench vise for over 10 years and I'm very happy with it. On my first bench it served as a face vise. I moved it over to my new bench where it acts as a tail vise. It's a good vise in my experience. I think I picked it up on Amazon with their free shipping offer.

A good face vise and some well-placed stops will serve you well for probably 95% of all of your woodworking. A tail vise is very handy for some things especially running long moldings or holding large panels. Add in some holdfasts and you'll be all set.

It doesn't have to be fancy as long as it does the job!

Good luck,

Josh