PDA

View Full Version : Myrtlewood and Brass HF...

Wally Dickerman
11-03-2010, 12:38 PM
An unusual piece of myrtlewood burl, using brass filings to fill a void. The collar is ebony. Brass filings can be had for free at places that do keys. This piece was done some time ago. In later use of brass filings I've added a little gold sparkle to add, well, sparkle. Sparkle in various colors can be found in craft stores.

Please excuse the photography. As I said this was take several years ago. The piece is about 7 inches in dia.....Comments welcome.

Wally

John Keeton
11-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Wally, such a nice piece of wood, and it is so inspiring to see your work - even the earlier turnings. You have developed the concept of form over the decades that provides instruction and inspiration for all of us.

Dennis Ford
11-03-2010, 12:45 PM
This is a beautiful piece. The wood, form and finish are all just right. The brass filling looks great with this wood.

Roger Chandler
11-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Elegant, simple in its form and beautiful in its finish, and the brass filings for the filler are a super idea.

We can all learn from this one!

Scott Hackler
11-03-2010, 1:25 PM
Wally, thats a great HF. I like the inclusion of the brass. It really blends well with the wood.

David E Keller
11-03-2010, 3:55 PM
That's a gorgeous piece of wood and a wonderful form. As others have mentioned, I find it pretty inspirational. Thanks for digging up the photo.

Tim Rinehart
11-03-2010, 4:10 PM
Please excuse the photography. As I said this was take several years ago. The piece is about 7 inches in dia.....Comments welcome.

Wally
I've got to say, if that's not a beautifully deep finish...it's a fine job of clever photography!! What is the finish, if you recall?
And if you do...more power to you. I can't recall sometimes the finish I did on a piece several weeks ago as I keep trying different approaches.

Jim Burr
11-03-2010, 6:01 PM
Wally..that is just great!!! I'm not so sure about the filings as apposed to powder...but I'm gonna try a few with filings to be sure;););)

charlie knighton
11-03-2010, 6:52 PM
Wally, i really like your form on this one

Josh Bowman
11-03-2010, 6:58 PM
Wally,
I really like that! I copied the picture into my turning ideas. I like the shape, form, wood, brass, heck....I like all of it.
Thanks.....do more!

Bernie Weishapl
11-03-2010, 7:17 PM
That is a beauty Wally. Really nice form and finish.

Baxter Smith
11-03-2010, 10:26 PM
In some ways so simple it makes me think why can't I do that. Saved it to my folder of shapes to try. Beautiful work. Thanks for posting.:)

Wally Dickerman
11-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks for your comments folks. I wish that I had more myrtlewood like that.

Wally