PDA

View Full Version : What a mess, fence but no rails

Ben Cadotte
11-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Well got a nice clean new fence. No rails. :mad: The shipper says 1 total pieces, 141 pounds. I got 1 box about 30-40 pounds. And there is no way a 7' rail could fit in the one box. I did an online chat with someone at Amazon and they basically said I can return it. No way to investigate the missing box. I then called someone at amazon who was definately not from the US. She said I had to ship it back and emailed me a shipping label. So I checked my email and she sent me a shipping label that requires me to pay the return shipping. So, let me get this right. I recieve an item that is missing a major component and I have to pay return shipping??

So, the email with the shipping label included one of those rating things. And I gave poor marks. After that I got a pop up message would you like to talk to us again to try and resolve this issue. So, I chose yes. This time I definately got to talk to someone in the US. And She said that hardlines handles these items and transferred me to him. He understood my problem. Has a new fence and rails(hopefully) comming. I told him I don't really trust Amazon to ship it again since they made the mistake before. Although the Woodstock (shopfox) box does not say on it if its in 1 or 2 boxes (it should say 1 of 2). He said he can note the item and show there should be 2 boxes.

What a mess. I am not going to be home due to work, so now I have to waid till just before Thanksgiving before I can recieve it. 3 week delay, will be a full month since I placed the first order. Should have just ordered it from Grizzly like I was thinking. Amazon was $4 less though.:rolleyes:

Don Alexander
11-03-2010, 4:41 PM
a whole $4 huh? wonder how much saving that 4 bucks cost? yikes

Matt Day
11-03-2010, 4:53 PM
Bummer, I'd be annoyed if I were in your shoes too. But **it happens you know? I've had very good luck with Amazon in the past, but they can't be perfect.

You could ask for a full refund and order from Griz if you wanted right?

Ben Cadotte
11-03-2010, 7:36 PM
a whole $4 huh? wonder how much saving that 4 bucks cost? yikes
Well Amazon is re-shipping another fence. I was trying to avoid the return / ship a new one ordeal. Trying to save them money! But they have no mechanisms to handle this situation. To them its either keep what you got, or send it back and we send you another. Obviously their business plan allows for this and still be profitable. But its not very effecient.

Ben Cadotte
11-03-2010, 7:38 PM
Bummer, I'd be annoyed if I were in your shoes too. But **it happens you know? I've had very good luck with Amazon in the past, but they can't be perfect.

You could ask for a full refund and order from Griz if you wanted right?

Actually if I wanted a full refund I would have to pay for return shipping of what I did get. At least that is what the 2nd person I talked to said. I didn't discuss a return with the 3rd and final person. Just a replacement shipment.

Will Overton
11-03-2010, 8:00 PM
Amazon is a big company, and with customer service it really depends who you get on the phone. I haven't had any problems in awhile, but about a year ago I had 3 in a row. Each time I emailed I got ridiculous responses. I would then use the call me back feature and each time got a call from the same woman, Mary. She straightened out each problem, arranging delivery of a new product and pick up, at the same time, of the old one.

After the third problem was solved she emailed me a $50 gift certificate.

So, if you have to contact Amazon, just ask for Mary. :)

Dave Lehnert
11-03-2010, 8:14 PM
I worked in retail and dealt with this all the time. I would receive furniture that came two boxes, only receive one box. Trying to get someone to understand that you signed for 4 boxes when you ordered 4 qty but should have been 8 boxes. (But you only ordered 4 sir :mad:)

This is just a example of how ordering direct from the manufacture or a brick and mortar store can be worth the extra cost.

Chip Lindley
11-04-2010, 1:49 AM
It must be a fact that shipping companies "lose" lots of freight, besides just damaging it. In the '90s I spent lots of time at a neat place in Independence MO--Recovery Sales Outlet, that specialized in liquidating overages, scratch and dent, and lost shipments of Yellow Freight System. I would hike the mile there from my hotel when I had a day to kill away from home on the railroad. If I bought something to large to carry, the Howard Johnson's courtesy van would swing by to haul me and my goodies back to the hotel.

I know this is no solace to the OP, who only got half his shipment, but every day was like Christmas when the doors opened at 9AM. Among some of the bargains I remember, were a couple of Biesemeyer overarm blade guards, A DJ20 jointer cabinet with motor and even a new Unisaw with no fence. A month later the rest of the DJ20 planer showed up, but no fence. This was all before ebay or CL, where you could go scrounging for the needed parts. Kinda Sad! But I bought a new scratch and dent Leeson 3hp Unisaw motor for $115. Some days were much better than others!

Sean Troy
11-04-2010, 8:35 AM
Anytime you order from Amazon, you need to make sure the item says (Sold and shipped by Amazon) Anything other than that is a crap shoot.

Ben Cadotte
11-04-2010, 7:15 PM
Anytime you order from Amazon, you need to make sure the item says (Sold and shipped by Amazon) Anything other than that is a crap shoot.

I agree, and this order was from Amazon, shipped by Amazon.