PDA

View Full Version : Where to find electrical floor boxes

Matthew Curtis
11-03-2010, 10:22 AM
I am going to place 2 floor boxes in my floor when it is poured. Hopefully a 220 outlet and a double 110 outlet in one box. Where can I find the boxes that can be set in concrete??

Ken Fitzgerald
11-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Check with a local electrical supply house.

Matt Meiser
11-03-2010, 10:44 AM
One of my friends did something a little different. He built two wells in the floor. Each has a DC pipe stubbed in as well as power outlets. The DC pipe (6" PVC) runs over to the nearest wall and stubs up where it connects to the duct along the wall. He made a simple cover for each from plywood, then cut the necessary access holes. If he ever rearranges and no longer needs one, he can just make a new solid cover.

Dan Hintz
11-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Being at ground level (or in the ground), there are more NEC rules that cover such a beast. Those kinds of plugs scare me... a piece of metal can get lodged in there, water can drain into it, etc.

Logan William
11-03-2010, 1:16 PM
I was gonna do a few of inground boxes but they're about 60-80 bucks each on the cheap end of the scale, I can install a lot of nice single gang hanging boxes from the ceiling or buy some nice cord covers for that price

ray hampton
11-03-2010, 4:26 PM
is outside outlets permitted to be use instead of floor-outlet in the floor

Von Bickley
11-03-2010, 4:35 PM
In my shop, I stubbed up a piece of conduit about 18 inches. It next to my outfeed table and provides power to the TS and outlets around the outfeed table.
Just stub up a receptacle next to your TS or another piece of equipment.

John Gregory
11-03-2010, 4:56 PM
I bought a plastic one from home depot.

Here is a brass one, more money than I spent on the plastic one.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xi4/R-202046567/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Rollie Meyers
11-03-2010, 8:54 PM
Hubbell is a major player in the floorbox market,they have a wide selection of designs but be prepared to pay some dough out, but there is no reason patch a job together w/ cobbled parts.

http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/htm/CommFloorboxes.htm

Matthew Curtis
11-03-2010, 9:03 PM

Good question?? Anyone know??

Chris Strizver
11-03-2010, 9:34 PM

Depends...is the work going to be inspected or not? If it is, then check with a licensed electrician. If not, just put a waterproof box in and an outlet that is GFCI protected. I retrofitted one in my slab a few weeks ago. Only I had to rent a concrete saw and widen a relief cut enough to lay some flex conduit in. I then covered it with quick-set concrete. You can see the path to the right in the picture attached. The conduit runs to a GFCI outlet on the wall. What a pain, but I didn't know where I'd want an outlet when I poured my slab.

Note...this is likely NOT to code! So proceed at your own risk. I don't know if a 220V outlet can be GFCI protected. If not, I wouldn't do a 220V outlet like this one.

Buck Williams
11-04-2010, 8:38 AM
The cheapest, and probably easiest install, would be the Carlon E971FB. An electrical distributor should have them or an equal. It's a round PVC box that is fed with Schedule 40 PVC conduit. After the pour it can be sawed off flush with the finished floor, and the cover screws into an adaptor ring. They also have rectangular options, same install concept.

http://www.carlon.com/SC/Brochure%20PDFs/Carlon%20Nonmetallic%20Floor%20Box%20Systems-2B38-May01.pdf

Alan Schaffter
11-04-2010, 10:32 AM
I would go with an enclosure like a few others have recommended. I don't have a poured concrete floor, but I had issues I wanted to deal with- I didn't want plugs sticking up that would be damaged if kicked, I didn't want dust or other debris into the receptacle, and wanted to eliminated excess cord on the floor. Using a recessed enclosure took care of everything. I could have mounted a box with receptacles facing sideways in the enclosure but used a box with two female pigtails instead. I added a hinged lid with cord cutout on it and made the recess large enough so I could coil excess cord inside it.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/Odc-4.JPG