PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple

Bill Bulloch
11-03-2010, 8:42 AM
A friend gave me a hugh, nicely figured Ambrosia Maple Log that will produce a lot of nice size bowls. I understand that the streaking and patch work is caused by a fungus left behind by the Ambrosia Beetle as food for their offsprings. This makes me wonder about the appropriateness/suitablility of this wood for utilitarian projects i.e., salid bowls, dough bowls, rolling pins, etc.

"A fungus left behind by a bug" does not sound very appetizing to me. But, I am more concerned about hygienics -- would it be safe for the preparation of food in?

Prashun Patel
11-03-2010, 9:11 AM
It'll be fine. The bigger concern with spalted wood is its structural integrity.

Once the log is dry, the spalting process ceases and any mold/fungus will die. To be extra safe, you can use a fungicide or bleach to prep the wood after it dries, but I would test its effect on the color. Another option is to 'bar-b-que' the wood for some time at low heat. There are guides on the Internet for this. Of course, this can have an effect on the shape too...

Dan Hintz
11-03-2010, 9:17 AM
It'll be horrible for whatever you choose to do with it... which is why you should ship it to me for disposal...

:D

Bernie Weishapl
11-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Bill I have a couple of bowls from ambrosia maple we have been using now for about 3 yrs.

Garrett Ellis
11-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Good thing you don't live in California or you'd have to engrave Proposition 65 on it! :D

Leo Van Der Loo
11-03-2010, 1:02 PM
A friend gave me a hugh, nicely figured Ambrosia Maple Log that will produce a lot of nice size bowls. I understand that the streaking and patch work is caused by a fungus left behind by the Ambrosia Beetle as food for their offsprings. This makes me wonder about the appropriateness/suitablility of this wood for utilitarian projects i.e., salid bowls, dough bowls, rolling pins, etc.

"A fungus left behind by a bug" does not sound very appetizing to me. But, I am more concerned about hygienics -- would it be safe for the preparation of food in?

Just don't eat the wood where the tracks are, the rest would be just fine to consume :eek: :D:D:D:D :p :p