PDA

View Full Version : No Pictures...It didn't happen!!!

David DeCristoforo
11-02-2010, 10:33 PM
I've been having this problem with my Delta lathe where the drive pulley would "migrate" toward the rear of the headstock until it contacted the indexing pin at which point it would alert me by making an increasingly loud grinding sound (I hate those!). Then I would have to stop the lathe, pop the cap off the headstock and tap the pulley back into position. The problem was that the pulley's set screw hole was stripped. No cure but to break down the entire headstock, get the pulley off the spindle and re-tap the hole. Only took like half the day. While I had it apart, I drilled and tapped a second set screw hole in the pulley so now it should stay put. Also, in order to get the thing apart, I had to dismount the switch box. When I did that I saw that the wiring running from the main electrical box to the switch was pretty badly deteriorated. So I rewired that. Only took the rest of the day. So lots of working on the lathe today but no working at the lathe. But then I had a flash... I didn't take any pictures! No pics... it didn't happen, right? So I just got my whole day back:D

David E Keller
11-02-2010, 10:42 PM
You got your day back, but of course, your lathe is still broken.:eek:

Ron Bontz
11-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Blame it on the elves fixing it. :)

John Keeton
11-03-2010, 7:24 AM
Regardless, your lathe loves you more now for spending quality time with her, instead of just taking her for a spin every day and not even talking to her! Or, when you do talk to her, you just scream and shout!:D

Steve Schlumpf
11-03-2010, 7:51 AM
Congrats on getting your lathe taken care of! The set screw issue would have drove me nuts also! Great idea of putting in a second set screw! The start switch electrical problem would have really surprised me! You don't usually take those things apart and check them out! That safety concern alone was worth your time!

Bet you lathe just purrs now!

Leo Van Der Loo
11-03-2010, 1:49 PM
I've been having this problem with my Delta lathe where the drive pulley would "migrate" toward the rear of the headstock until it contacted the indexing pin at which point it would alert me by making an increasingly loud grinding sound (I hate those!). Then I would have to stop the lathe, pop the cap off the headstock and tap the pulley back into position. The problem was that the pulley's set screw hole was stripped. No cure but to break down the entire headstock, get the pulley off the spindle and re-tap the hole. Only took like half the day. While I had it apart, I drilled and tapped a second set screw hole in the pulley so now it should stay put. Also, in order to get the thing apart, I had to dismount the switch box. When I did that I saw that the wiring running from the main electrical box to the switch was pretty badly deteriorated. So I rewired that. Only took the rest of the day. So lots of working on the lathe today but no working at the lathe. But then I had a flash... I didn't take any pictures! No pics... it didn't happen, right? So I just got my whole day back:D

So you got the day back :rolleyes: and the lathe still has to be fixed :eek:, and you didn't accomplish a thing :eek:

Maybe you better make a picture :p

David DeCristoforo
11-03-2010, 5:13 PM
"So you got the day back :rolleyes: and the lathe still has to be fixed :eek:, and you didn't accomplish a thing"

"You got your day back, but of course, your lathe is still broken.:eek:"

You guys may know turning but you have got a lot to learn about time warping! Tricking the universe into giving you an extra day is "time tripping 101" stuff. Scheech...

Bernie Weishapl
11-03-2010, 7:22 PM
David glad you got it up and running plus a bonus you got the day back.:eek::D

Baxter Smith
11-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Think of it as getting to know the inside of your lathe a little better!:)