PDA

View Full Version : Unfinished Ugly little pumpkin head

Ron Bontz
11-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Ok. Well I fess up. I was using some scrap wood lying around the shop. The bowl blank was an oak blank I used DNA on last year. It had a 7" or so through crack in it. But I decided to turn it anyway. Just for practice. Yep it's ugly. I was curious though. After having several catches a few bad words and some returning. What tools do most people use for face plate work? And yes I know I need a lot of work on form.:eek:

Marc Himes
11-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Ron, if by face plate work you mean bowl or platter blanks that are attached to a face plate, I use a standard 1/2" bowl gouge with an Irish grind and a round nose scraper. I still get catches every now and then but usually it is due to poor tool presentation.

Marc Himes

David E Keller
11-02-2010, 11:26 PM
I use mostly 1/2 inch bowl gouges; One has long swept back wings and the other has a standard grind. I use the standard grind mainly for the transitions and the bottom of the form.

Bernie Weishapl
11-02-2010, 11:49 PM
I use a bowl gouge with long swept back wings. In the transition at the bottom I use a conventional gouge (P & N).

John Keeton
11-03-2010, 7:31 AM
I use a Thompson V bowl gouge, and for detailing, spindle detail gouges. Tool rest placement is much more critical when using the detail gouges.

Duff Bement
11-03-2010, 7:46 AM
1/2" sorby bowl gouge and SHARP round nose scraper with very light cuts.

Ron Bontz
11-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Well I guess I am on the right track. John I am curious about the tool rest placement using the detail gouges. Seems like they would grab quickly. The outer part of the base is where I had the most catches. Even with a scraper and a moderate burr. Tool presentation problem perhaps. Thanks:)

Don Alexander
11-03-2010, 9:35 PM
why you want to slam yourself? theres nothing wrong with the form of that piece at all

Baxter Smith
11-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Although I don't care for so many beads on the top and bottom, I think the overall concept and choice of woods look great. A little less busy and it would be a very sharp looking piece to me.